FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Hey DEVS, I found something....something to help our HERO's right now

134 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By djsplitimage, Senior Member on 22nd December 2009, 01:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I've been noticing that after a certain amount of use my Hero eventually slows down to the point where typing on the keyboard is frustrating because of the slow response. I did some searching and I came across this online

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3453

since I'm no where near the level of a dev, I figured I'd put this out there and see if anyone can make heads or tails of it, and possibly create a signed-zip so we can just use the update feature in the recovery screen to flash it to our system.

Seems legit as a fix, and apparently this was something that was a known problem with Android 1.5 that I guess has been fixed with 2.0.

Any Dev help would be hot.

22nd December 2009, 04:25 AM |#2  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 693

Donate to Me
More
Excellent. Thank you for tracking that down.

The TL;DNR explanation: Location services are causing multiple "heartbeats" on the phone all on top of each other. One guy counted as many as 253 in 5 seconds. This consumes the CPU. I will look at the patch.
22nd December 2009, 04:41 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Would disabling location services be a temporary fix?
22nd December 2009, 04:47 AM |#4  
Flag Wilmington, NC
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynetx

Would disabling location services be a temporary fix?

Yes. We're pretty close to 2.1 though so shouldn't need more then that.
22nd December 2009, 05:06 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
ive seen this problem too but not until recently, it lags the phone and drains the battery amazingly fast.
22nd December 2009, 05:27 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdfv

Yes. We're pretty close to 2.1 though so shouldn't need more then that.

I'm taking a wait and see approach on the 2.1 progress right now, what's there looks very promising but without the camera, accel., & (for me anyway because I do have alot of apps that i use) a2sd, I'm content with Fresh 1.0, just wanna get help get that issue solved cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who is experiencing it.

PS: I know I said I have alot of apps, but I know that's not the cause because the same thing happened when I did a wipe and just left things "stock" with Fresh Rom 1.0 for a few days
22nd December 2009, 05:33 AM |#7  
Flag Wilmington, NC
Thanks Meter: 2

More
If they got the accel and wifi tether working, I'd make the jump to 2.1, but I need the accel for work, and the wifi tether for internet.
22nd December 2009, 07:23 AM |#8  
Pleasant Prairie, WI
Thanks Meter: 4

More
What app can be used to show the system_server process? I use task manager but it isn't listed. I want to monitor this process.

Also, does anyone know about the patch? How Do you apply it?
22nd December 2009, 04:23 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
1) I can't answer the first question. I just took the advice here and turned all location services off. My phone is back to its snappy self. The only way I'm really impacted by having to do this right now (I'm sure I'll use this phone for more after 2.1) is using google maps. I already kept GPS off when I wasn't using it but having to go into the settings and allow Location Setting before using gmaps is a PITA.

2) I know very little about android and ROM DEV but think the "patch" is programming code, only useful to people who know how to read and write it.
22nd December 2009, 04:40 PM |#10  
Flag Clinton, TN
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlumley

What app can be used to show the system_server process? I use task manager but it isn't listed. I want to monitor this process.

Also, does anyone know about the patch? How Do you apply it?

RoboTop???
22nd December 2009, 06:08 PM |#11  
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Meter: 4

More
You can use DDMS from the Android SDK toolkit to monitor processes running on the phone. Should be able to pull up a process list from there.

Now, I'm using Locale but not with Location settings for my different profiles. I also have Location settings turned on for use with Google Maps as well as the HTC Flip Clock / Beautiful Widgets Home. Surprisingly, my system_server process is sitting at 0% right now, and the phone has been on for over a day. Both DDMS and running "top -n 1" in the adb shell confirm this. If there's much of a change over the day, I'll be sure to let you know. So, it's possible that HTC found and fixed this issue with their SenseUI CDMA 1.5 build. Unlikely, but possible.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)