There are quite a few posts already comparing various protective shields for the TP2. It would be redundant to discussing which one is better.
After reading on most of the threads on this subject, I went ahead and got the GadgetShieldz. I am quite careful with my phones and I have only used screen protectors but never full coverage shield. I figure using the coupon, it only cost $5.59 and it is cheap enough for me to experiment.
The package arrived quite fast even during the holiday. There were no instructions sent. No problem, I went on line and got the instruction. However, this instruction is only for the installing the screen protector.
The instruction is good and easy to understand. Since I do not have baby soap, I use Neutrogena body soap instead. It worked fine.
I have the stock screen protector on my Tilt 2 already and I wanted to pick something easy to try before I attempt to do the screen. So I decided to try out the back first. The center strip for the camera is small and flat and it seems to be the easiest to apply. So I started with this piece first. I would recommend to do this piece first as it would give you some idea what it is going to be like when you are doing the bigger pieces.
I removed the battery cover from the phone. As I was a little worry working with water near the phone. I wiped the battery cover with an alcohol swab to remove any grease. Clean it again with a clean cloth.
Remove the film from the backing and dipped into the soapy solution and I applied it with no trouble at all. I removed the excess water and a tiny bubble with a “credit card”. Everything worked as advertised.
So I proceed with the battery cover. Again dipped the protective film in the wetting solution, followed the instructions by removing the excess water with fingers. Applied the film at the center and positioned it. It was not difficult to move the film, as I probably left the film too wet. Once I am satisfied with the position. I squeezed out the water with my “credit card”, removing any air bubbles at the same time. The center part of the battery cover was a piece of cake but the corners are impossible to apply. I simply could not get the corners down correctly. 30 minutes passed and I am still not satisfied with the result. I actually have to re-wet a corner just to get the finger/tabs into the right places. I was also very careful not apply too much pressure because I do not want to stretch the film. I was thinking this is not going to work and I probably wasted my $5.59 and all my time. Then all of a sudden, it seems the corners are going down on the case. After the first corner went down, the rest was easier. I work the corners mostly with my fingers, only used the “credit card” on some of the edges.
I took me an hour to do the battery cover. I probably had too much water on the film.
I grabbed a tissue paper to wipe off any excess water off the edges of the film (Mistake No 1.). The lint off the tissue paper stuck to some of the excess glue residual. While the film is fitting the corners very well, the edges were fuzzy with lint.
I left the cover out to dry. While the lint was not that visible, it still bothered me. So after a couple of hours, I use my 10 X glass to inspect the edges. I was not happy. By then the film is sitting on the cover pretty firm and it did not like it was going to move. I went ahead and use a hair drier to speed up the process. I am glad that I did. The heat improved the appearance of the film and it was not as lumpy as before. I realized what had happened. The film is made of some kind of polymer plastic. Polymer plastic has a tendency to shrink when exposed to heat. The hair drier was shrinking the film and made the film fitting the cover tighter. This is a GOOD thing. If you stretched the film, this applying of heat should correct some if not all of this. Just be very carefully not to apply too much heat or you distorted the film. The edges of the film must not protrude beyond the case as this would cause the film to lift.
I admit that I am picky, the lint at the edges were bugging me. So I use a few wood tooth picks and a bottle of Glue Off. (Citrus adhesive remover) and remove all the excess glue and the lint off the edges. The results were good. There were still a little glue left on some of the edges but this is not noticeable with a naked eye.