FORUMS

TMobile 6.5 ROM Issues

151 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By see_u_then, Senior Member on 20th January 2010, 11:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I upgraded to TMobile's official 6.5 ROM from the stock ROM.

Earlier my memory consumption stayed between 45% - 51%, but now with same applications installed, it is at 56% (after soft-reset - which I think is not bad), but even if I don't do anything - the memory consumption keeps increasing to 70% and beyond. Using taskmgr, I see the size of gwes.exe grows with time. At startup its about 17MB, but after an hour or so, it grows to 33MB. Any ideas how to fix this?

Second, TMobile has disabled weather animations on the home screen and somebody suggested that I set:
HKCU/Software/HTC/Manila/CachedBackgroundPath to '' HKCU/Software/HTC/Manila/HomeBackgroundPath to '' and
HKCU/Software/HTC/Manila/Home.WallPaperMode to 1

After this weather animations do work, but now I am stuck with the default wallpaper, as the moment I change it, the above values are updated and the weather animations stop working. How to fix this?

Thanks
21st January 2010, 12:55 AM |#2  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Regarding your memory issues, your findings are consistent with what many (including myself) experienced with the official HTC WinMo 6.5 update for unlocked devices.
No solution other than to flash to a cooked ROM or go back to the official WinMo 6.1 ROM for your device.

Easy way for weather animations to work and if you want to use custom wallpapers is to use the HDWall tool.
21st January 2010, 06:37 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
just downloaded direct from tmobile the WM 6.5 Rom and my home screen animations work perfectly. they even reanimate every time i return to the home screen. Not sure why u would be having these troubles...Sorry!
21st January 2010, 09:46 AM |#4  
Flag FRESNO, CA

More
Animations are working o.k.
Consumption is a bit more, but not the numbers you are having.

My issue...whenever I boot, it gives me a time zone screen and freezes momentarily.

Any idea to fix this.

It is a stock rom downloaded directly from Tmo.

Thanks in advance.
21st January 2010, 03:17 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
I downloaded the the 6.5 ROM from TMobile as well.

On Home screen, with the new Sense, there are two weather animations. One that is just below the clock. This one worked with the official 6.5 ROM, but there is another weather animation that covers the entire screen on the home screen - this animation did not work till I did the registry changes mentioned in my first post.

But now I can only have the default wallpaper. Plus gwes.exe keep growing. I don't know what to do, except hardSPL and try a custom ROM.
21st January 2010, 05:26 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Just found the new update also on Tmobile. Since there seems to be "bugs" on the update, minor as they are, should I wait to update and what "great" feature/s does 6.5 brings to the touch pro 2?

thanks
21st January 2010, 05:47 PM |#7  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashastrega

Animations are working o.k.
Consumption is a bit more, but not the numbers you are having.

My issue...whenever I boot, it gives me a time zone screen and freezes momentarily.

Any idea to fix this.

It is a stock rom downloaded directly from Tmo.

Thanks in advance.

Mine does the same thing. That, and the instant messaging opening up all the time about some error message. Thats getting old.
21st January 2010, 06:01 PM |#8  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 98

Donate to Me
More
I know this doesn't give us any answers really, but here's what I found online about gwes.exe:

"It is the Graphics, Windowing, and Events Subsystem, but it does not load the drivers. That is actually handled by another app called device.exe. Gwes.exe is purely for the user interface components and doesn't deal with the hardware layer."

Based on that, my guess would be that some element of the UI is caching info as it goes along (might be the weather interface, or something totally different), and that's what's causing it to swell as a process. I have a good feeling that one of the great minds here @ xda will be digging further into that asap, if not already
21st January 2010, 07:18 PM |#9  
Flag Charleston, SC metro area
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanska

Mine does the same thing. That, and the instant messaging opening up all the time about some error message. Thats getting old.

Yeah, this is really annoying.
21st January 2010, 09:25 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If you disable the HTC Resource Proxy, the Memory settles back down to what I was used to under 6.1.

Do a search, you have to edit the registry. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. I assume the Resource Proxy is similar to the PreFetch on Vista/7. But I would rather have the free memory as what I do on my device is pretty sporadic and I always exit out of apps when I'm done.
21st January 2010, 09:26 PM |#11  
Flag Clearwater, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 78

Donate to Me
More
here is a cab
Attached Files
File Type: cab SSK TP2 Dynamic Resource Proxy.cab - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 220 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)