FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] ~~[★The Complete Leo Flashing Video Guide★]~~ [Update 14/03/10]

1,905 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
By [★], Senior Member on 22nd January 2010, 05:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
★Useful Links★
MTTY Thread - MysticGenius [Bad Flash? Constant Hard Resets? Check Out This Thread From MG!]

★I Appreciate Comments, So If This Thread Helped You At All, Or If You Have Some Constructive Criticism, Then Post A Reply Letting Me Know★

★Hopefully this compilation of videos
I've been working on for the last week
or so should help you in any of your
queries about using HardSPL. Its designed
for complete noobies which dont know the
first thing about flashing.★

★Once you've watched a few, you will begin to
learn the different acronyms and be able to
recognize certain words and phrases in the
flashing process, but for now, heres a short
word list to get you started.★

★[Word List]★

LEOIMG.nbh/ruu_signed.nbh/[Randomname.nbh] - These are all the actual roms, the things you need to flash, usually they are called one of the first two names, but some rom chefs give their own names to the roms, but you can always distiguish which file you need as it will always be a "nbh" file and will always be the largest file in the archive/folder

SPL - Secondary Program Loader: Loads the actual OS. (The SPL is what lets you flash the different aspects of your device, however the stock SPL is 'CID Locked' which means only official releases from HTC can be installed.

HSPL -
A 'custom' SPL created by the dark forces team (bepe and cotulla), this is CID Unlocked and it lets you install custom roms and flash any radio. The reason it is called 'Hard' is because it stays on your device after a flash, unlike 'Soft' SPL which is removed after a flash.

RUU -
The official 'Rom Update Utility' from HTC which is used to do all your flashing from your pc, its essentialy a nice user interface for the SPL

CustomRUU - The custom Rom Update Utility from the dark forces team which is designed to be used with the HSPL

ROM -
An operating system build from HTC, updated to bring you the newest functions and fixes

Custom/Cooked ROM - An operating system build built on a stock rom, these are created by 'Chefs or Cooks' who use 'Kitchens' to design their own roms to release to the community, these are usually alot better than stock roms and contain lots of custom tweaks from others in the xda community.


[More knowleadgable members please correct me on things I may have got wrong/ used the wrong termonoligy]

[Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device, and be warned flashing HardSPL WILL void the warranty on your device, however it can be removed, thus unvoiding it]

Ok onto the videos!


[Note/Update: In one or more of my videos I say that this will not work locked phones (as in, bought in a contract) this is wrong, HSPL does allow you to flash new roms on to contract phones (for example: flash a custom rom onto a tmobile phone) However it will not unlock the deivce]


1. How To Install HardSPL
[LINK][Estimated Time:7 Minutes]
[NOTE: PLEASE GO INTO YOUR BOOTLOADER BEFORE INSTALLING HSPL AND MAKE SURE YOUR CURRENT SPL IS 1.42.0000, IF IT IS NOT, THE INSTILLATION WILL FAIL!]
Description: This video is intended to run you through the very simple process of flashing HardSPL to your device.

Useful Links
¬HardSPL Thread

HardSPL
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 32 Bit
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 64 Bit



2. How To Flash a Custom Rom Via Active Sync (USB)
[LINK][Estimated Time: 10 Minutes]
Description: This video is supposed to show you the process of flashing a custom rom to your device using the supplied standard mini usb cable.

Useful Links
¬Direct Links For Most Custom Roms
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 32 Bit
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 64 Bit



3. How To Flash a Custom Rom Via Micro SD Card
[LINK][Estimated Time: 15 Minutes]
Description: This video is supposed to show you the process of flashing a custom rom to your device using the supplied standard micro SD card.

Useful Links
¬Direct Links For Most Custom Roms
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 32 Bit
¬Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 64 Bit



4. How To Flash a Stock Rom
[LINK][Estimated Time: 10 Minutes]
Description: This video will show you how to install a stock rom back to your device, so it is just like the day you got it.

Useful Links
¬Official Roms
[IMPORTANT NOTE: YOU CAN NOT INSTALL STOCK ROMS USING AN SD CARD AS IT WILL REMOVE HSPL]



5. How To Flash a Radio
[LINK][Estimated Time: 7 Minutes]
Description: This video is supposed to show you the process of flashing a stock radio to your device.

Useful Links
¬ Radios



6. How To Uninstall HardSPL (Install a Stock SPL)
[LINK][Estimated Time: 25 Minutes]
Description: This video is the longest and is supposed to show you how to remove HardSPL from your device (usually done when sending the phone in for warranty)

Useful Links
¬Official Roms (For Stock SPL's)
WARNING: THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR CURRENT ROM AND INSTALL A STOCK ROM OVER IT



7. How To Flash(Install) A Custom Splash Screen (Thanks jeckyll for the first splash screen and teaching me how to do it)
[LINK][Estimated Time: 5 Minutes]
Description: This video is very quick and will show you how to install custom splash screens (the initial SS with the htc logo and white background)

Useful Links
¬HD2 Bios Splash Screens
¬How To Create A Custom Splash Screen (Thanks pof)



8. How To Flash(Install) A Stock Splash Screen (Uninstall Custom Spash Screen) (Thanks 6Fg8 For The Stock Splash Screen)
[LINK] [Estimated Time: 5 Minutes]
Description: This video is very quick and will show you how to install the original splash screen (the initial SS with the htc logo and white background) over your custom one (will get back warranty)

Useful Links
¬HTC HD2 Original Splash Screen (Thanks 6Fg8)



9. How To Perform A Task 29 Without MTTY(Thanks Doloop For Making This, and ShaDrac for repacking it into an easier single exe)
[LINK][Estimated Time: 7 Minutes]
Description: This video will teach you how to perform a task 29 on your Leo without having to go through the arduous process of installing all the drivers ect for MTTY. Task 29 formats your phone for a cleaner flash

Useful Links
¬Task 29 Thread
¬MTTY Thread (For Reference)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[REQUEST: IF ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO GET EMBEDDED VIDEOS WORKING ON THESE (VBULLETIN POWERED) BOARDS, SEND ME A PM OR POST A REPLY EXPLAINING HOW, I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL


[NOTE: YOU MAY LINK TO THESE VIDEOS AND USE THEM ANYWHERE WHERE THEY WILL HELP A FELLOW LEO USER OUT JUST BE SURE TO PROVIDE A LINK BACK TO THIS THREAD]


If Any Video Links Are Down/ Do Not Appear In Your Country, Post A Message In This Thread And I Will Try And Have It Up ASAP

(Stickied 26/1/10) Thanks



Recieved Donations [/COLOR][/U]
Turborider - 14/03/10 (Thankyou Very Much )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [★] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [★] Ad-Free
 
 
22nd January 2010, 05:54 PM |#2  
[★]'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Top Tips, Useful Things & F.A.Q's!

For The REALLY Lazy Man - A Folder Which Already Contains The CustomRUU,
Just Drag And Drop Your Rom File (.nbh) In Here And Run The CustomRUU! **Download** (Extract The Folder From The Zip File)



  • Making any changes to your phone using HSPL WILL void your warranty, and even if you remove HSPL and, for example, you have a custom rom still on your phone, your warranty will be void. However you can revert anything you do with HSPL thus getting back your warranty, I will make sure each method is on this thread, just make sure to revert everything changed with HSPL before you remove it.

  • Can I flash backwards? as in - From 1.61 to 1.48. Yes you can, you can flash any rom to any other rom with HSPL (thanks mskip for filling me in )

  • Always back up your phone. I recomend SPB Backup, it can backup not only contacts, but your whole system (programs, reg tweaks ect) however you may encounter problems if you try to restore everything, because the backup may have been made on a different version of manila/windows mobile

  • Hard resetting after a flash is usually recomended, it will optimize the rom

  • Always bare in mind the 2 main different manila versions (2.5.XXXX), 1921 and 1922. 1921 is the older one and so has more mods and tweaks designed specifically for it. 1922 is the newest and not yet totally stable version which doesnt support much yet, (however patchs and updates are starting to surface such as one for HDWall and 25 Shortcuts

  • If you are getting good signal ect with your current rom, make sure you take note of the radio version, it may be a good idea to back your old radio after flashing a rom if signal is not as good

  • Usually you will not have to reapply HTC hotfixes as most cooked roms include them in the package, however make sure there arent any recent updates which may not have been cooked in.

    Side Note: All camera tweaks from xda users are usually pre cooked in aswell. (Talk about instant meals!)



¬More To Come Over Time
Attached Files
File Type: zip Flashing Folder.zip - [Click for QR Code] (620.4 KB, 2223 views)
22nd January 2010, 05:55 PM |#3  
[★]'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
~~~[★Useful Pictures★]~~~


[Taking requests]

A Healthy HSPL'ed Bootloader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0062.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	272055   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0066.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	272056  
22nd January 2010, 06:58 PM |#4  
turborider's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag North London
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
well done mate this thread will help alot of plp,nice one
22nd January 2010, 08:26 PM |#5  
SiliconSquirrel's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[★

3. How To Flash a Custom Rom Via Micro SD Card
[LINK][Estimated Time: 15 Minutes]
Description: This video is supposed to show you the process of flashing a custom rom to your device using the supplied standard micro SD card.


Hi,

Nice work, but i dont agree with this video.

you DO NOT have to format the SD card every time you flash.

you just copy it over and and start the flash!

Nice vids though, just abit misleading! and to be honest takes a long time, I have 4Gb of data on an 8Gb card, for me to copy it off, format, flash and copy it back would take the best part of 90 mins!!

SS
22nd January 2010, 09:42 PM |#6  
[★]'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconSquirrel

Hi,

Nice work, but i dont agree with this video.

you DO NOT have to format the SD card every time you flash.

you just copy it over and and start the flash!

Nice vids though, just abit misleading! and to be honest takes a long time, I have 4Gb of data on an 8Gb card, for me to copy it off, format, flash and copy it back would take the best part of 90 mins!!

SS

Huh.. It takes me with my 16gb one about 5 seconds to quick format once Ive dragged things off, Ive heard it is a safe bet so Im gonna leave it like that unless loads moer people feel the same way, Thanks though
22nd January 2010, 09:44 PM |#7  
wacky.banana's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Thanks Meter: 624
 
More
To the OP,

Well done for putting these videos up. Should help a few people to better visualise what they need to do.

@ Silicon Squirrel,

You may be right re your point on formatting but I see it as good practice as it forces people to double check that the card is formatted in FAT 32 (a common problem).

WB
22nd January 2010, 09:52 PM |#8  
[★]'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky.banana

To the OP,

Well done for putting these videos up. Should help a few people to better visualise what they need to do.

@ Silicon Squirrel,

You may be right re your point on formatting but I see it as good practice as it forces people to double check that the card is formatted in FAT 32 (a common problem).

WB

Thanks And yeah thats a good point
22nd January 2010, 10:34 PM |#9  
SiliconSquirrel's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky.banana


@ Silicon Squirrel,

You may be right re your point on formatting but I see it as good practice as it forces people to double check that the card is formatted in FAT 32 (a common problem).

WB

Ok, but once you have done in once you dont need to do it again!! the card doesnt just randomly change file system while in use!!

so yeah i agree format it ONCE the first time you do it, other than that it is a waste of time!

I have never in 15 years of using computers and flash memory EVER heard of that!

SS
22nd January 2010, 10:36 PM |#10  
SiliconSquirrel's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [★]

Huh.. It takes me with my 16gb one about 5 seconds to quick format once Ive dragged things off, Ive heard it is a safe bet so Im gonna leave it like that unless loads moer people feel the same way, Thanks though

Dont get me wrong, it was a constructive criticism.

maybe you could note the fact that they only need to do it once, the first time, to make sure the file system is FAT32. then they would save much time in the future!

Also i wasnt saying the format would be long, i was meaning the copying on and off that is a ball ache!!

SS
22nd January 2010, 10:49 PM |#11  
[★]'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconSquirrel

Dont get me wrong, it was a constructive criticism.

maybe you could note the fact that they only need to do it once, the first time, to make sure the file system is FAT32. then they would save much time in the future!

Also i wasnt saying the format would be long, i was meaning the copying on and off that is a ball ache!!

SS

thats true, it IS a ball ache xD
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes