Why Should I root my phone?
What can I do with recovery?
With recovery you can principally flash cooked roms, but also other things like make nandroid backups (Internal memory backups), partition your sdcard, fix problems etc...
If you want root there are 2 methods:
Is very simple, just download and install InstantRoot.apk (attached)
To install this from sdcard you need a file explorer like ASTRO
After the install a notify that says root access gained should appear, if not try second method
This will install also recovery
1. Enable Debug USB from Settings->Applications
2. Download flashrec and install it with file manager like ASTRO
3. Download Amon_RA's recovery and put it in your sdcard
4. Run flashrec and tap Backup Recovery
5. Tap in the textbox and write this path:
7. If you get an error retry from step 3, else continue
8. Turn off your phone and reboot it keeping pressed Home button, recovery should start
9. Connect your phone via usb
10. Download Android SDK and extract all in the same folder
11. Download this and extract it in your sdk/tools folder
12. Open cmd (if you are on windows, if you are on a mac or on linux open terminal) and move to sdk/tools folder using this command
adb shell mount /system adb push su /system/bin/ adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/ adb shell umount /system adb shell reboot
./adb shell mount /system ./adb push su /system/bin/ ./adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/ ./adb shell umount /system ./adb shell reboot
If you want recovery:
Just follow root's second method to the step 7
Flashing Custom roms using recovery:
Custom roms are in Zip format, to flash it is really easy once you have recovery.
Once downloaded a rom put it in your sdcard root, then reboot into recovery (Keep home button pressed while turning on your phone)
Now make a wipe going to Wipe->Wipe data, then come back to main menu and go to Flash zip from sd card, select your zip and you're done