My HTC Magic Stuck in RUU Screen after failed ROM upgrade

Search This thread

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
Applied the latest Rogers ROM...what a bad move...

Now my HTC Magic got stuck in RUU screen showing the following:

SAPPHIRE UNKNOWN 32A SHIP S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.76.0010 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-11
RADIO-6.35.10.18
Jan 14 2010, 00:14:58

RUU

I tried many ways to get rid of this screen but didn't work.

My phone original has the rogers 2.17.631.2 build, and I did a bad move to upgrade to Android 1.5.=( The RUU process flashed my HBOOT and RADIO, but as soon as it starts the "system" steps, the screen shows unzipping for over an hour and eventually failed. Now my phone will start up with the above screen only!! i can't get myphone startup in recovery mode or fastboot mode.

I tried re-run the RUU porgram on my PC and the tool still shows i have the old anroid build. Hence i know that i now have NEW HBOOT and RADIO but still the old Android build.

Is there a way for me to get out of this RUU screen? Any help is appreciated.
Is the security off (S-OFF) allows me to downgrade the SPL? If so, how can i do that given i can only boot my HTC Magic in this screen only.

One more side note, fastboot can detect the phone.

Urgently need help! Appreciated.

Last edited:

5[Strogino]

Sep 23, 2009
Moscow
If you have constant security S-OFF, it accepts all ROMs and HBoot and RUU. Probably you have engineering Magic (not Hboot, the whole device)

1. Try this...
If fastboot can detect phone, so try flash Amon_RA Hero recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=561124

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(recovery.img or other filename must be in folder with fastboot.exe)

Then start into recovery (Home + Power) and flash CursorSense

If you need original ROM (without root), so search forum for it
(it has been posted already). Just get rom1.zip (system.img, userdata.img and more...) and flash it (Saying again: official doesn't contain root)

2. Or try run another RUU

Last edited:

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
Oh... you have S_OFF after official upgrade, it isn't often to meet.

If fastboot can detect phone, so try flash Amon_RA Hero recovery

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(recovery.img or other filename must be in folder with fastboot.exe)

Then start into recovery (Home + Power) and flash CursorSense

If you need original ROM (without root), so search forum for it
(it has been posted already). Just get rom1.zip (system.img, userdata.img and more...) and flash it (Saying again: official doesn't contain root)

but the fastboot method requires engineering SPL, but my phone was upgraded to the perfected SPL. Shall I try the RA_Hero or RA_Sapphire ?

Last edited:

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
Yes, common fastboot required to be engineering. But you have S-OFF now, so no checks.

use RA_Hero, cause you have radio 6.35.X.X

Tried flashing the recovery.img (RA_Hero) but failed.

i typed fastboot flash recovery recovery.img [ renamed the file to recovery.img] but got the error...

sending 'recovery' <3362 KB>... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... FAILED <remote: image type not support>

Just to clarify more, the screen only shows "RUU USB" not "FASTBOOT" although fastboot can see my device... could that be the reason why it failed?

According to your 2nd suggestion, where can i find other RUU and how do i know which is the proper one?

Last edited:

markojan

Oct 24, 2009
Belgrade
www.natasa.rs
Applied the latest Rogers ROM...what a bad move...

Now my HTC Magic got stuch in RUU screen showing the following:

SAPPHIRE UNKNOWN 32A SHIP S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.76.0010 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-11
RADIO-6.35.10.18
Jan 14 2010, 00:14:58

RUU

I tried many ways to get rid of this screen but didn't work.

My phone original has the rogers 2.17.631.2 build, and I did a bad move to upgrade to Android 1.5.=( The RUU process flashed my HBOOT and RADIO, but as soon as it starts the "system" steps, the screen shows unzipping for over an hour and eventually failed. Now my phone will start up with the above screen only!! i can't get myphone startup in recovery mode or fastboot mode.

I tried re-run the RUU porgram on my PC and the tool still shows i have the old anroid build. Hence i know that i now have NEW HBOOT and RADIO but still the old Android build.

Is there a way for me to get out of this RUU screen? Any help is appreciated.
Is the security off (S-OFF) allows me to downgrade the SPL? If so, how can i do that given i can only boot my HTC Magic in this screen only.

One more side note, fastboot can detect the phone.

Urgently need help! Appreciated.

the rogers ROM is not working right. Too many crashes and so on .. so try this one

RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Europe_3.05.401.3_release_signed_NoDriver.exe

You can download it from HTC main site ...

Also, you have to keep in mind that you can RUU as many as you want. So do the procedure again and keep us posted if it's working. If not send me a PM and i'll resolve it step by step.

best of luck !

ntphuong

Sep 18, 2004
www.LaptopEx.com
I have one Magic and it show in Bootloader :
PVT 32 S-OFF
1.76.0007 (SAPP*****).
Why the SAPP is SAPP*****? Is there something wrong?
Also, the device detected by fastboot is 1234567890... , not like other HTC Magic.
Now I get stuck with RUU Flash at 81% (Hong Kong RUU). --> When the device start to update system STEP. So the Magic now just show RUU, can connect by Fastboot but when use fastboot flash system or recovery, only can send to phone and write error.
Anybody help me to solve this?

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
PVT 32 S-OFF
1.76.0007 (SAPP*****).
Also, the device detected by fastboot is 1234567890... , not like other HTC Magic.
Now I get stuck with RUU Flash at 81% (Hong Kong RUU). --> When the device start to update system STEP. So the Magic now just show RUU, can connect by Fastboot but when use fastboot flash system or recovery, only can send to phone and write error.

I do have the same problem with my RUU flash with the new Rogers RUU. Stuck at 81% when device starts updating at step[4] "system". Phone will show "unzipping" for over an hour and eventually failed with error code [155].

I tried the RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Europe_3.05.401.3_release_signed_ NoDriver.exe but still the same problem. Can anyone help here?

Last edited:

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
Did more investigation, and seems like both RUU ROMs i tried might not match the CID, hence the system ROM updating failed.

Now the question is, i am stuck in RUU and cannot use adb to check my CID now. How can i manually update the system ROM given i am in RUU mode only?

How can i manually update the HBOOT and RADIO if i am stuck in RUU screen? If the RUU program can automate the process in one click, is there program to allow me to update each individually? Note that i cannot get into fastboot mode.

Any advice? Thanks!

amr0th

Nov 18, 2009
Help

Did more investigation, and seems like both RUU ROMs i tried might not match the CID, hence the system ROM updating failed.

Now the question is, i am stuck in RUU and cannot use adb to check my CID now. How can i manually update the system ROM given i am in RUU mode only?

How can i manually update the HBOOT and RADIO if i am stuck in RUU screen? If the RUU program can automate the process in one click, is there program to allow me to update each individually? Note that i cannot get into fastboot mode.

Any advice? Thanks!

Same problem here. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

guaiwujia

Nov 7, 2006
SHANGHAI
PVT 32 S-OFF
1.76.0007 (SAPP*****).

I had a 32B G2,it was brikked at the first time when I ruu flash the rom(Sense official). G2 couldn't received any RUU rom.it would stop at 22%.
Today,when I ruu flash the rom(HTC_Europe_3.04.401.2),I also found it stop at 81%.
SPL is updated to 1.76.0008 from 1.76.0007.
It seems much better than before. But it still could not accept the cmd "adb shell"
Hoping somebody could help us.

Rugga

Jan 2, 2010
Chiang Mai
I used the following RUU after upgrading to sense RUU stopped at 81%

hxxp://suntharee.com/android/RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Asia_WWE_2.53.707.2_SEA_test_sign ed_NoDriver.exe

Here is another link, its the first RUU in this post:
hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=548096

You will end up with an ENG SPL that allows you to flash what ever you want then.

I manually updated Radio and SPL and now using CursorSense ROM.

Obviously replace the "hxxp" with "http". Hope it helps at least some of you like it did for me.

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
I used the following RUU after upgrading to sense RUU stopped at 81%

hxxp://suntharee.com/android/RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Asia_WWE_2.53.707.2_SEA_test_sign ed_NoDriver.exe

Here is another link, its the first RUU in this post:
hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=548096

You will end up with an ENG SPL that allows you to flash what ever you want then.

I manually updated Radio and SPL and now using CursorSense ROM.

Obviously replace the "hxxp" with "http". Hope it helps at least some of you like it did for me.

I tried but already got stuck in the first step of unzipping system.img. Looks like this RUU will upgrade system first before HBOOT and RADIO, hence i am still stuck with Perfected SPL. :(

Given that my phone has security off (SOFF), is there way to downgrade my HBOOT?

vbucuroiu

Mar 7, 2007
Bucharest
I had the same problem when HK SenseUI appeared and I managed to pass the RUU screen with a gold-card. You will find tutorials in this forum.

Good luck!

ngecw

Jul 24, 2008
I had the same problem when HK SenseUI appeared and I managed to pass the RUU screen with a gold-card. You will find tutorials in this forum.

Good luck!

Were you upgraded to the latest perfected SPL when the same problem happens? I had my goldcard configured properly, but everytime i run RUU, the process hang at 81%, which is the time when unzipping system.img happens.

I understanding the latest SPL is still yet hard to crack, but will my phone being S=OFF, can have some ways to get the system check bypassed?

Thanks!

ONX

Mar 14, 2009
Prahova / Zaragoza
:(

Hi. I have the some problem. My magic stops at 81% (system - unzipping), or when i try with another RUU_.exe stops at 22% (system - unzipping).
S-ON.
Anyone can help us?

PS: Sorry for my english.

ONX

Mar 14, 2009
Prahova / Zaragoza
:((

Nobody knows?

Attachments

• DSC8407.jpg
    DSC8407.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 264

5[Strogino]

Sep 23, 2009
Moscow
Hi. I have the some problem. My magic stops at 81% (system - unzipping), or when i try with another RUU_.exe stops at 22% (system - unzipping).
S-ON.
Anyone can help us?

PS: Sorry for my english.

What did you do??? 32B Magic not compatible with RUU Upgrades

What exactly do you have? You posted in one place - that you have 32B
But on picture you have 32A

Last edited:

ONX

Mar 14, 2009
Prahova / Zaragoza
:(

I installing RUU_Sapphire_HTC_Europe_3.05.401.3_release_signed_NoDriver.exe
I make a goldcard for installing _HTC Magic_RUU_Sapphire_SMC_Voda_WWE_3.03.990.6_release_signed_NoDriver.exe (with this update can enter in fastboot and vol down + power) but stops when loading system.img

Sorry for my english.

Yes, i have 32B.

Before:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32B Ship S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0010 (SAPP10000)
CPLD 10
RADIO-3.22.20.17
Jun 2 2009 17.28.28

After:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.76.007 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-10