Follow updates on Twitter
! Use the #xdafb hashtag to spread the word!
Here is an article on what kinds of feedback we're looking for when helping test the public beta: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=9227274
If you were caught in the infinite automatic-update, things should be fixed now. Also, I forgot to disable the Compose button in the inbox. It will crash the app if clicked on. Hopefully by friday I can have another version that has this part working
- Photo Albums! Pictures can now be viewed in XDAFacebook.
- Big pictures will open up in the default browser for the time being. Once I make a good photo viewer, I'll replace that.
- Also, the settings menu has a whole section dedicated to photos. Feel free to play with the settings, but numerical values == 0 or <0 will cause the app to crash! There is no safty net for this!
- There is a number for concurrent image downloads. This number should be between 6-10. Any more can cause slow down, and less and the effect seems non-existant. I've gone as high as 25 and felt pretty good about it. But I haven't dared push it to the limit!
- New albums had a few bugs so I held back on this release. It will be coming soon!
- Older Posts! Feel free to browse the older posts I've successfully gone about a days worth of posts back w/o any lag.
- Searchable Friends List! I added a search box at the top of the friends search list
- Memory Management! Special Thanks goes out to Corwin9S. He helped me look at the memory usage. I reduced the CPU cycles by ~30%. It still takes up about 3-6 mbs of RAM. This is caused by Form Allocations, DLL imports, etc. Most of the space is just allocated space that I can't get rid of. I will try to find more ways to make the RAM usage go down, but from what I've been told by some people at MSFT, this numer isn't uncommon or bad. CPU cycles are what count and that's what I'm trying to optimize
- GUI fixes! I finished the drop-downs, so they look a little more professional. I also added the numerical counters. There are still more that can be done on them, so I will continue improving their apperance and performance.
- Rollup of bug fixes
- And finally SPEED!! This version should be the fastest yet. Rendering times are super quick and load times seem to be back to where they belong.
Instructions for Localization:
Please create a blank language file (instructions are above) and edit ONLY the text in between the quote marks "". The quotes need to remain!
Verify that your text doesn't fly off the screen. Anywhere that the text is too long for the graphic, try shortening the word or pick a different one (if that's possible) if not, let me know (via picture) and I'll make the necessary changes.
Once you have a translated file, save it as <Language>.txt and upload it to your device. Place it in the same directory where you got the Blank.txt.
Please share your translations!
ALSO! Since the app will be transforming and new features will be being added, the translation process will be ongoing.
If you click "Create Blank Language File" and you already had an alternate translation loaded and working, the Blank.txt will only have the new strings in english, so you will only need to translate the changes.
Unfortunately, after a couple of hours searching the web and looking at platform SDKs, I have learned that poking is not supported by the Graph or REST APIs (what I use to interact with facebook). I've been looking, and I might be able to hack something that might
work, or I could have the option to support Pokes via SMS. I need your feedback. Which option (or both) sounds the best? Does anyone even Poke anymore?!
Wall posting is very basic at the moment. I will be making an advanced text editor that has more options for posting links, privacy settings, etc.
I also changed the road map a little. Let me know if that works for everyone!
Hope everyone likes the new updates!
I also wanted to make a road map of releases leading up to the final release of Version 1.0
- This beta release will focus on posting data to Facebook and making sure everything works well.
- This beta release will also include newer GUI pieces, such as Inbox!
- This beta release will focus on Chat!
- This beta release will focus on App Completeness! Or making sure all the functionality of a full Mobile Client have been implemented
- This release candidate will focus on Bullet-Proofing! All minor bugs should be worked out
- This release candidate will only happen if major bugs are discovered in RC 1
That is the road map I have planned. I don't anticipate Beta 3 to be out very long (unless there are major bugs). I want to get to beta 4.X as soon as possible. I also might mix and match
But that is the proposed roadmap to Release 1.0!
Devices that this beta has been tested on:
- Authorization should be working, but using the new URL is a lot cleaner (I think). Go here to authorize directly. Once you see the browser transfered to "Success" then try the application again
- Friend names that are really long hang off the edge.
- I've fixed this bug for the next release, long names will be clipped with Ellipsis
And the status of this beta is: