FORUMS

[ROM] KiNgxKxKlair DroidEris2G1+WG kernel - FAST Sense (G1 fixed 18:30 14 March)

836 posts
Thanks Meter: 115

By Loccy, Senior Member on 12th March 2010, 08:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a mostly unchanged ROM based on King's DroiseEris2G1, with the fixes made by Sunny and Vega on the original thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=642643. However, it includes WG's kernels, which improve performance to an extent that you genuinely wouldn't believe from either a Cyan based kernel, and especially over the BFS-based kernel King was originally using.

I deserve no plaudits for this. All I did was plug in a couple of kernels that WG gave me, shove them into King/Sunny's ZIP file, and resign the lump. It's by no means curing cancer or anything complicated. But as the result turned out to be (IMHO) the quickest Sense ROM I've ever seen I thought I'd share.

Developers, ROM cookers, whoever - feel free to take the ROM, tear it apart, re-pack it, add your own edits. I honestly don't really know much about this ROM cooking lark so it could definitely do with some TLC - but I think it's a worthwhile effort because when it works the WG kernels FLY on this.

What doesn't work:

* Camcorder
* Camera is a bit dodgy. It's the old 2.1 issue. When you take a picture you'll see screen corruption instead of the pic. In the gallery the pic will look a bit dodgy. However when you view the pic it'll be fine. Install and use Camera Magic from the market instead if this bothers you unduly.
* BT I suspect will still not work, even given WG's efforts to address this, simply because BT has never worked in Sense ROMs. I can't test as I have no BT devices.
* 3D will not work in the ramhack version (but you all knew that, right?)
* Keyboard backlights. As a) I have a Magic and b) I wouldn't have a clue how to fix this anyway even if I had a G1, please don't ask about this.

Everything else should work.

Why did I do this? Well, King's original ROM, especially with the tweaks made by Sunny and Vega is a beautiful bit of work. It's the first Sense ROM that's actually been usable on my phone. However, it has a BFS kernel and I absolutely *hate* BFS with a passion. I personally don't think it helps performance that much, and the way it makes the device miss half of your finger swipes so it's like having a resistive screen again. So I decided to see how the WG kernel worked out, being (IMO) the best kernel around at the moment. You simply wouldn't believe the performance increase - skim the thread, see what people are saying.

Enough yakking, give it a try, give some feedback. And most importantly, enjoy and have fun.

Requirements:

* FAT-EXT4-SWAP partitions on your SD. That's EXT4. Not EXT3 or EXT2. You'll get gapps FCs left, right and center if you ignore this little infonugget.
* A nice big SWAP. I've got 106Mb. But at least 96Mb.

New WG kernel, 3D, no ramhack (seems to work on SOME G1s, most if not all MT3Gs)
http://www.4shared.com/file/24110835...-noRH-try.html

Vega's fix patch for the SMD port error message in logcat, and potentially battery life. In fact if you flash this over the original King ROM you will essentially have what this thread is setting out to achieve, i.e. King's ROM+WG Kernel = epic Sense.

http://www.4shared.com/file/24141911...-WGkernel.html

This ROM comes with the social networking apps.

Old WG kernel, no 3D, ramhack (known good on G1)
http://www.4shared.com/file/24031569...ackSigned.html

This one has no social networking apps. This is included as a bit of a historical artefact, and also as a just in case for those who can't get the latest ROM running on their G1s. This is a known good ROM on the G1. It flies quite nicely but has no 3D.

Thanks to King, Sunny, Vega, WG - and please note I'm just the bloke who thought "wouldn't it be great if we could have this fast kernel on this really nice full-featured ROM". Think of me as a cocktail mixer. Those other guys are the master distillers. (And ignore the donate thread in my sig, that's for BetterBrowser, I don't expect people to donate for me doing no more than shoving a kernel into someone else's work.)
12th March 2010, 08:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Downloading now, then flashing it to test.

Sounds like it'll be nice thanks for this!

EDIT: Flash went ok, booting now

Took a bit to download from your site, so I threw up a mirror for you:

http://chillbeast.com/KingSunnyWGKernelSigned.zip
12th March 2010, 08:53 PM |#3  
Flag Nieuwegein
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Gonna test it now! Thnx!
12th March 2010, 08:55 PM |#4  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Don't forget to put some disclaimers about how it MAY hurt people G1s

like " I am not responsible to whatever happens to your phone " you never know.
12th March 2010, 08:56 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
One thing I should mention for those not familiar with the original ROM:

You must, repeat MUST, have an EXT4 partition. Not an EXT2 or EXT3 partition, but EXT4 - otherwise you'll get force closes on all of the gapps.

And you should have a nice big swap. 96Mb is about the going rate.
12th March 2010, 09:00 PM |#6  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 37

More
thanks Loccy! gonna try this out...

you think you'll have a new version when King updates his rom?
12th March 2010, 09:01 PM |#7  
Flag Nieuwegein
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Flashing it now, did full wipe, 96mb and ext 4.
12th March 2010, 09:07 PM |#8  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 123

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffCookie

thanks Loccy! gonna try this out...

ill try to help with the new version without a mytouch or a testing device but hey.. W.e i can do right =]
12th March 2010, 09:08 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Finished setup, contacts are syncing, seems a bit snappier so far, but it was sluggish through setup (that's always the case, I know)

Seems overall a bit faster than the original, the true test comes in a bit after it's been running for a bit and I give her a reboot or two.

FYI, 96 MB swap, 640 mb ext 4
12th March 2010, 09:10 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuse

Don't forget to put some disclaimers about how it MAY hurt people G1s

like " I am not responsible to whatever happens to your phone " you never know.

Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffCookie

No reason why not (although if King drops BFS there'll be no reason to!)
12th March 2010, 09:10 PM |#11  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 123

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbeast

Finished setup, contacts are syncing, seems a bit snappier so far, but it was sluggish through setup (that's always the case, I know)

Seems overall a bit faster than the original, the true test comes in a bit after it's been running for a bit and I give her a reboot or two.

FYI, 96 MB swap, 640 mb ext 4

The sluggish setup can be not be sluggish if u wait a bit longer like after the initial 5-10 minute wait when u see the lock screen drag the screen down nd give it another 10 minutes nd boom ull fly through the set up i did it and it works flawlessly but that was on the other rom nd yeah .. =[
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)