I deserve no plaudits for this. All I did was plug in a couple of kernels that WG gave me, shove them into King/Sunny's ZIP file, and resign the lump. It's by no means curing cancer or anything complicated. But as the result turned out to be (IMHO) the quickest Sense ROM I've ever seen I thought I'd share.
Developers, ROM cookers, whoever - feel free to take the ROM, tear it apart, re-pack it, add your own edits. I honestly don't really know much about this ROM cooking lark so it could definitely do with some TLC - but I think it's a worthwhile effort because when it works the WG kernels FLY on this.
What doesn't work:
* Camera is a bit dodgy. It's the old 2.1 issue. When you take a picture you'll see screen corruption instead of the pic. In the gallery the pic will look a bit dodgy. However when you view the pic it'll be fine. Install and use Camera Magic from the market instead if this bothers you unduly.
* BT I suspect will still not work, even given WG's efforts to address this, simply because BT has never worked in Sense ROMs. I can't test as I have no BT devices.
* 3D will not work in the ramhack version (but you all knew that, right?)
* Keyboard backlights. As a) I have a Magic and b) I wouldn't have a clue how to fix this anyway even if I had a G1, please don't ask about this.
Everything else should work.
Why did I do this? Well, King's original ROM, especially with the tweaks made by Sunny and Vega is a beautiful bit of work. It's the first Sense ROM that's actually been usable on my phone. However, it has a BFS kernel and I absolutely *hate* BFS with a passion. I personally don't think it helps performance that much, and the way it makes the device miss half of your finger swipes so it's like having a resistive screen again. So I decided to see how the WG kernel worked out, being (IMO) the best kernel around at the moment. You simply wouldn't believe the performance increase - skim the thread, see what people are saying.
Enough yakking, give it a try, give some feedback. And most importantly, enjoy and have fun.
* FAT-EXT4-SWAP partitions on your SD. That's EXT4. Not EXT3 or EXT2. You'll get gapps FCs left, right and center if you ignore this little infonugget.
* A nice big SWAP. I've got 106Mb. But at least 96Mb.
New WG kernel, 3D, no ramhack (seems to work on SOME G1s, most if not all MT3Gs)
Vega's fix patch for the SMD port error message in logcat, and potentially battery life. In fact if you flash this over the original King ROM you will essentially have what this thread is setting out to achieve, i.e. King's ROM+WG Kernel = epic Sense.
This ROM comes with the social networking apps.
Old WG kernel, no 3D, ramhack (known good on G1)
This one has no social networking apps. This is included as a bit of a historical artefact, and also as a just in case for those who can't get the latest ROM running on their G1s. This is a known good ROM on the G1. It flies quite nicely but has no 3D.
Thanks to King, Sunny, Vega, WG - and please note I'm just the bloke who thought "wouldn't it be great if we could have this fast kernel on this really nice full-featured ROM". Think of me as a cocktail mixer. Those other guys are the master distillers. (And ignore the donate thread in my sig, that's for BetterBrowser, I don't expect people to donate for me doing no more than shoving a kernel into someone else's work.)