FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to Setup Correct Hero Drivers (for x86 & x64 users)

828 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By btdag, Senior Member on 16th March 2010, 12:00 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
This is outdated and doesn't work! Go here for new one.

This is a quick guide for users who are unsure about how to switch between ADb & HTC Sync without risk. New sections will be added as new drivers are made aware to me.

It is tested using Windows 7 64-bit but should be easily applicable to Windows Vista and similar to Windows XP. Includes 32-bit & 64-bit version support.

Before you do anything download the Android SDK and extract the files: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Contents
I. [NEW] Assumes that no driver is installed for you're HTC Hero
II. [HTC Sync] For when the "My HTC" driver is installed > ADB
III. [ADB] For when the "Android Composite ADB Interface" device is installed > HTC Sync
IV. Bootloader Driver Procedure

I. New Users

1. Plug your phone into your PC via the USB cable

2. Let windows install any drivers it wants, and it should fail on the last driver "adb"

3. Download the "HTC Hero Sync Drivers.zip" file attached and extract the folder to the android sdk folder.

4. Left Click "Start"

Right Click "Computer"
Left Click "Manage" from the menu

5. Choose Device Manager from the list on the left and you should have a warning ! over a device called ADB

6. Right click on that and choose "Update Driver Software"

7. Select "Browse my computer..." > "Let me pick from..." > "Next" > "Have Disk..." > "Browse"

8. In the browse window, navigate to the folder that you extracted from the rar earlier and pick either the "Vista_7_x64" folder (64-bit users) or the "Vista_7_x86" folder (32-bit users) and select the driver file from inside that folder. Then click "OK".

9. "My HTC" should show in the "List of compatible hardware" now, so select that and click "Next" to install the driver.

10. You now have your HTC Hero set up for HTC Sync.

II. HTC Sync Users > ADB

2. Download the "HTC Hero ADB Driver.zip" file attached and extract the folder to the android sdk folder.

3. Click "Start" > Right Click "Computer" > "Manage" > "Device Manager"

4. Expand "Android USB Device" and right click "My HTC" > "Update Driver Software"

5. Select "Browse my computer..." > "Let me pick from..." > "Have Disk..." > "Browse"

6. In the browse window, navigate to the folder that you extracted from the rar earlier and pick "android_winusb" > "OK"

7. "Android Composite ADB Interface" should show in the list of "compatible hardware" now, so select that and click "Next" to install the driver.

8. You now have your HTC Hero set up for an ADB connection.

III. ADB Users > HTC Sync

2. Download the "HTC Hero Sync Drivers.zip" file attached and extract the folder to the android sdk folder.

3. Click "Start" > Right Click "Computer" > "Manage" > "Device Manager"

4. Expand "Android USB Device" and right click "Android Composite ADB Interface" > "Update Driver Software"

5. Select "Browse my computer..." > "Let me pick from..." > "Have Disk..." > "Browse"

6. In the browse window, navigate to the folder that you extracted from the rar earlier and pick either the "Vista_7_x64" folder (64-bit users) or the "Vista_7_x86" folder (32-bit users) and select the driver file from inside that folder. Then click "OK".

7. "My HTC" should show in the list of "compatible hardware" now, so select that and click "Next" to install the driver.

8. You now have your HTC Hero set up for HTC Sync.

IV. Bootloader Driver Procedure

(thanks to janhol)

1. Turn off your phone and load into fastboot by holding the Back button and pressing Power with the hero plugged into the computer

2. "Start" > Right Click "Computer" > "Manage" > "Device Manager"

3. Check that you have your Hero on the "My Hero" Drivers, not "Android bootloader drivers" (those don't work).

4. Right click "Android bootloader drivers" > "Update Driver Software"

6. Download the "HTC Hero Sync Drivers.zip" file attached and extract the contents

7. In the browse window, navigate to the folder that you extracted from the rar and pick either the "Vista_7_x64" folder (64-bit users) or the "Vista_7_x86" folder (32-bit users) and select the driver file from inside that folder. Then click "OK".

8. "My HTC" should show in the list of "compatible hardware" now, so select that and click "Next" to install the driver.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC Hero ADB Driver.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.10 MB, 8171 views)
File Type: zip HTC Hero Sync Drivers.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.46 MB, 6224 views)

16th March 2010, 07:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Windows 7 64bit

I get an error message "AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer"

Where do I get it & where do I put it when I get it
16th March 2010, 09:28 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bournemouth

More
Interesting, it should be in the driver package, are you sure you extracted it all & picked the x64 folder?

O and which guide are you following? 1, 2 or 3?
17th March 2010, 06:01 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
any love for 32 bit?
17th March 2010, 10:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdag

Interesting, it should be in the driver package, are you sure you extracted it all & picked the x64 folder?

O and which guide are you following? 1, 2 or 3?

Extracted both rars to desktop

Tried all three

No luck
17th March 2010, 12:13 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bournemouth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryhayes

any love for 32 bit?

32-bit drivers are included as well - it is detailed in the guide.
17th March 2010, 12:15 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bournemouth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie The Leper

Extracted both rars to desktop

Tried all three

No luck

Found the files it is asking for, I had no idea it needed that folder too. I'll edit the guide asap.

Edit: can you try it again? i have updated the guide
24th May 2010, 03:51 PM |#8  
Flag Leeds, UK
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Bang on tutorial,... yet again!

Had to do my first logcat today,... Wouldn't have been able to if it wasn't for you.

Thanks again bruv!!!
2nd June 2010, 02:06 AM |#9  
Flag south bucks
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Thumbs up
cheers btdag, spot on man, can't go wrong with a tutorial as simple as this.

got my htc driver accepted by windows vista,moving on to next step.

thanks again,
5th June 2010, 01:41 AM |#10  
Flag south bucks
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Thumbs up
many thanks btdag,great tutorial for us noobs
backedup all my apps to a 16gb card cos some of them i paid for. and then used a 2 gb card for the procedure.
-1st step: failed backup recovery image, followed the tuto...gold card,worked nicely.downgraded the hero using goldcard nice. many thanks to you and all the devs in here.

as for the roms, i don't know which one, too many roms are customed for different things from what i've read in the forum.
can you please advise, and can i take the 2 gb card that i used for rooting and put my 16gb and reinstall the backedup apps i have on it and then put in the new roms i hope you'll advise me on.

maybe too much to ask for, i thought having a 16gb class2 card to put everything on it(apps,music,......) bit too late i bought this one last week, hopefully in the future i get a higher class one.

from what you quoted the radio did improve your network signal,that will be great too. i'm with t-mobile uk.

cheers again for all the great work you've put in
6th June 2010, 04:22 PM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
may I add: after downloading necessary files i disconnected from the internet, then uninstalled ADB driver. Update driver with downloaded files and now driver used is MY HTC. It was very important to be offline as Windows 7 was very quick at downloading wrong driver for the phone.

I'm now back in business, rooting and flashing
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread