FORUMS

Windows iPhone 7 Series !!!

3,720 posts
Thanks Meter: 217

By gogol, Senior Member on 17th March 2010, 06:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Yeah, we should call WP7 that way

Windows iPhone 7 Series

I don't know, I started to like WP7, very excited with the platform, hubs, games, etc.

But more and more becoming super limited phone which you are FORCED to use your phone the way Microsoft want it to use.

And that's not good. At some degree I am OK with some limitations, but more and more now ...

No multitasking
No sd-card
No customization (come on, only 4 accent colors?)
No side-loading
No file manager
No copy paste?

I could OK if they said "We dont implement copy paste because we dont have much time to finish it, we will add it later".

But in fact no, Microsoft is dictating that you dont need copy paste:

Quote:

"We don't enable copy and paste and we do that very intentionally," Windows Phone executive Todd Brix said in an interview.

Brix said many times when a user copies something on a phone, what they really are looking to do is take a specific action, such as calling a phone number or e-mailing an address. For those specific tasks, Microsoft has what it calls "smart linking," which lets a user double click on a phone number and either call it or add it to the phone book. For an address, one can get a map without having to copy and paste the address.

"It's actually an intentional design decision," he said. "We try to anticipate what the user wants so copy and paste isn't necessary."

This is bad ... really bad

Windows Phone 7 Series is becoming similar (or worse) to iPhone ...

So, yeah ... Welcome "Microsoft iPhone 7 Series" ... This name/term is to remind Microsoft Windows Phone team that we really disappointed with Windows Phone 7 Series.

Microsoft still have several months to fix this, if they did, we can remove the "i"
17th March 2010, 08:20 AM |#2  
Flag Bulgaria, Varna
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Simply - just stay with WM6.5.5 and customize what you want WP7 is crap, why you need it, while here is a lot software for 6.5 and you can change everything, where is the point?
17th March 2010, 08:51 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
They are just trying to hide the mess that has accumulated over the years, and at the same time lock down the platform to make it a money machine. Two birds, one stone.

The more news I hear about WP7 the more I realize that I am not a PC, nor a Mac... I am an Android.
17th March 2010, 08:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
I don't know what's the problem with copy & paste missing. If they have a smarter way to do it then why not!? to be honest I never felt very comfortable using it. besides, it's also a funny step-up towards Apple. I mean copy & paste was always possible in WM, it was just a standard feature, like you also have a close button on a window. Then Apple came and added it to their iphone and do TV ads for it(!!!!!) and then MS come along again "Listen guys you don't need this old **** anymore we now have a really better way"

As for the other points of course I fully agree and it's horrible!!!
17th March 2010, 09:33 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Well, you are correct.

I admit that I dont use copy & paste quite a lot, but I used it several times (copy pasting some texts from web browser to the email, or to notes to save it later).

I will not discuss or debate how do we use copy paste, because it is very obvious and talked to death on the old iPhone OS saga.

The thing that I don't like with the WP7S approach is that Microsoft really dictate and force how to use the phone even on that simple task (copy paste).

Copy paste is old feature, we are get used to it, especially WE, the Windows Mobile users.

I simply cannot believe this, why not just give the feature, that's not hard to implement.

Sure, they have super duper clever way to detect address / phone number.
But I doubt it, which format of address and phone numbers? Can it detect partial address? part of phone numbers? etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMANN

I don't know what's the problem with copy & paste missing. If they have a smarter way to do it then why not!? to be honest I never felt very comfortable using it. besides, it's also a funny step-up towards Apple. I mean copy & paste was always possible in WM, it was just a standard feature, like you also have a close button on a window. Then Apple came and added it to their iphone and do TV ads for it(!!!!!) and then MS come along again "Listen guys you don't need this old **** anymore we now have a really better way"

17th March 2010, 09:38 AM |#6  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 460

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I don't know what's the problem with copy & paste missing. If they have a smarter way to do it then why not!?

What are you talking about? How should adding a contact to a phonebook with a doubleclick replace cut/copy/paste?
17th March 2010, 09:43 AM |#7  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:

I don't know what's the problem with copy & paste missing. If they have a smarter way to do it then why not!?

Because they don't have that smarter way. First of all, there are applications where copy/paste is already smart, like editing documents or lengthy emails. Second, there's the problem of carrying data between applications. Here I agree, copy/paste is a plug for lack of a smarter way, and in many cases this can be replaced. The problem though is that there's no way you can foresee all the use cases, as sometimes they are very unexpected. Just to real life examples I personally encountered. I'm driving in the middle of nowhere, and I know that somebody sent me a URL with directions in an email. Now what happens if that URL isn't clickable, and the "smart way" doesn't work? It could be a typo or a software glitch. Or, I once received a Wi-Fi access code that was something like E[ybabufct,tfrctccgjqyn. How in the world am I going to enter it without copy/paste? Also, those "smart" ways like detecting phone numbers or URLs will work in standard apps, but what about third-party apps? And finally, OK, you detect phone numbers. But what if I need to remember some code that's a set of digits? For example, someone sends me an access code to an apartment complex in an SMS and I want to add it to Contact notes? You get the idea I think. True, such things don't happen every day. But when they do happen lack of such features is incredibly annoying.

Quote:

Actually, the other problems are not as acute (apart from removable storage). To solve the multitasking and file access and even sideloading restrictions all you need is a nice little privilege escalation hack. Copy/paste is more difficult because you need proper selection UI, and a way to take care of long tap context menus in apps - you can't just intercept all taps and replace whatever action there is with copy/paste menu.
17th March 2010, 09:51 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

"We don't enable copy and paste and we do that very intentionally," Windows Phone executive Todd Brix said in an interview.

Brix said many times when a user copies something on a phone, what they really are looking to do is take a specific action, such as calling a phone number or e-mailing an address. For those specific tasks, Microsoft has what it calls "smart linking," which lets a user double click on a phone number and either call it or add it to the phone book. For an address, one can get a map without having to copy and paste the address.

"It's actually an intentional design decision," he said. "We try to anticipate what the user wants so copy and paste isn't necessary."

Yeah, i want to see Todd when he have to put in a 60number wpa2 key for 3 different wireless networks.......can someone please get android to work on the hd2 ????
17th March 2010, 10:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

i dont use copy & paste but there is absolutely no reason to leave it out, yeah they found a smarter way to do certain things but that way doesnt cover all scenarios, if u get wp7(i plan too) the first time u need copy & paste its prolly gonna piss u off that they left out such a basic feature i know i will im already preparing my woosas for that moment
17th March 2010, 10:48 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Exclamation
Back in the days of MS-DOS there were several applications that had [relatively] hi-res displays. Both iPhone and now Windows Phone 7 seem like a reversion to those days. Thanks to the "lowest common denominator" approach, technology has stepped backwards 15 years!!
17th March 2010, 10:52 AM |#11  
Bedfordshire

More
I dont use copy and paste much either but im sure lots of people do,

So leaving it out would be bad news and limiting the users. im sure wm7 will have copy and paste but its maybe called something different?, for moving into the future.lets face it copy and paste is an old term and even apple has that now!. microsoft is going back to the drawing board with this ui so when they confirm it has no copy or paste maybe it hasnt, its called select text/image - Apply text/image? its all a big secret.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)