438 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By kevinpwhite, Retired Recognized Developer on 22nd March 2010, 10:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Soft De-Branding of Toshiba TG01
================================================== =================

Required:
- Windows desktop based Registry Editor such as CERegEdit
- Replacement Welcome and Shutdown screen image files (below)

Optional:
- Windows Mobile File Explorer such as Resco Explorer 2010
- Microsoft .net Framework 3.5 NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab
- Microsoft .net Config Tool netcfcfg.cab

Additional OPTIONAL Step
- ROM Reflash as described in this thread
- this ONLY results in removal of the Orange splash screen; the rest of the process described below is still needed.
- This also introduces a significantly greater level of risk and should be avoided unless you know what you are doing and take full responsibilty for any unintended consequences.
- Please read thoroughly ! Especially the caveats posted by @cedesmith as author of the TGTool.

================================================== ==================
Part 1 - Carry out Hard Reset (Master Clear)

Either:
1.1 Power off; Press Power button while at the same time press and hold Camera AND Volume Up. When green light comes on / vibrates, release Power. Then follow on screen prompts to execute HR.
OR:
1.2 Go Start|Settings|System then tap Master Clear. Enter code '1234' to confirm.
1.3 Allow device to initiate cold boot. White TOSHIBA appears on black background, followed by Orange Windows screen and message

"Tap the screen to set up.... " DO NOT TAP !

Part 2 - Remove unwanted .cab Files prior to startup

Start CeRegEdit (NB. if you are running Vista / Win 7 you will need to be logged in as an Administrator)

- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\AutoCabInstall
- DELETE all Values in this section that you do not want to retain.
- If you have a licenced copy of Core Player, will also wish to remove this so you can install the later version now available separately.

WARNING:
- From here on you are making significant Registry changes; however if things don't end up working as desired, this IS fully recoverable, BUT will entail doing a fresh Hard Reset.
- If you are not happy with these detailed edits, suggest skip to Step 4.
- All changes CAN also be made by individually editing the multitude of Settings (eg. Network, email, etc.) directly on the TG01.

Part 3 - Clean up Registry

DELETE Complete Keys:- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\Orange Internet
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\Orange MMS
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A3 8-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Orange MMS
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\ TV player.lnk
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\ Orange Maps.lnk
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Destinations\Orang e MMS
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Destinations\Orang e Internet
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Arcsoft\ArcSoft MMS UA\Config\mm1\MMSCSetting\Orange MMS

DELETE VALUES >ONLY< (ie. LEAVE the Key intact):- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACCESS\NFWP10\BrowserPr ef:BGImage
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACCESS\NFWP10\BrowserPr ef:UseStartImage

EDIT:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Arcsoft\ArcSoft MMS UA\Config\mm1\MMSCSetting\Orange MMS:ISP
Replace 'Orange MMS' with 'My ISP MMS'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Arcsoft\ArcSoft MMS UA\Config\mm1\MMSCSetting\Orange MMS:MmscURI
Replace 'http://mms.orange.co.uk/' with 'http:// >>insert My ISP web address here <<'

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACCESS\NFB35WM\CorePref
Replace 'Mozilla/5.0 (PDA; NF3.5wMPRO/3.2; like Gecko) NetFront/3.5 Toshiba-TG01-orange/ 01' with 'Mozilla/5.0 (PDA; NF3.5wMPRO/3.2; like Gecko) NetFront/3.5 Toshiba-TG01/ 01'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Inbox\Settings:CurServic eName
Replace 'Orange e-mail' with 'My ISP email'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\GPSConnService:GPRSCon nection
Replace 'Orange Internet' with 'My ISP GPRS'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Internet Explorer\User Agent:Custom
Replace 'Toshiba-TG01-orange/ 02/ PPC; 480x800' with 'Toshiba-TG01/PPC; 480x800'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice:UMTSServerURL
Replace UMTSServerURL Value 'agpss.orange.co.uk:7275' with 'xxxxx' appropriate to your Service Provider If not available, leave 'as is' and change later.

Edit: Copy attached .cab to the TG01 and run to change to Vodafone / BT Mobile AGPS Server if desired:
AGPS_Vodafone_Server.cab

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs:home
Replace 'http://orangeworld.co.uk/' with 'http://www.bbc.co.uk' or whatever IE Homepage you prefer

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings\P refConn
DELETE Value Name {436EF144-B4FB-4863-A041-8F905A62C572}

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_7
DELETE:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_7:ThumbnailItem_3_IconFileName
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_7:ThumbnailItem_3_ItemType
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_7:ThumbnailItem_3_ItemID
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_7:ThumbnailItem_3_ItemName

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_4
DELETE:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_4:ThumbnailItem_1_IconFileName
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_4:ThumbnailItem_1_ImageType
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_4:ThumbnailItem_1_ItemID
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\MainMenu\Order_4:ThumbnailItem_1_ItemName

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Arcsoft\ArcSoft MMS UA\Config\mm1\WspHeader:User-Agent
Replace Toshiba-TG01-orange/ArcSoft/MMSUA/PPC/v5.5' with 'Toshiba-TG01/ArcSoft/MMSUA/PPC/v5.5 '

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\Launcher
DELETE:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\Launcher:Item_1_IconFileName
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\Launcher:Item_1_ItemID
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\RegistrySettin gs\Launcher:Item_1_ItemName

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup
DELETE:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup:Path 32
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup:Path 33
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup:Path 35
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup:Path 36
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\CommSetup:Path 37
NB. Do NOT delete Path Path 31 and Path 34

DELETE:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Templates\Same as Windows XP\Post Platform

EDIT:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\GPSConnService:GPRSCon nection
Replace 'Orange Internet' with 'My ISP Internet'

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ident:Name
Replace 'TG01' with 'TG01_Debrand'

Part 4 - Boot into Windows

NOW you can tap the screen and proceed to the usual Align Screen stage.
HINT - when carrying out screen alignment, make your taps very precise and GENTLE. This will maximise both pointing accuracy AND sensitivity.

Part 5 - Remove unwanted Shortcuts from Start Menu

Open your TG01 in Windows or File Explorer:
- Go to ..\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

DELETE Orange Maps.lnk (NB. if in File Explorer on the mobile you won't be able to see the .lnk extension)

(You can also remove shortcuts to any other built-in apps which you don't want, eg. calculator, if replacing with a more swept-up version)

Part 6 - Replace Orange Welcome and Shutdown screens with generic Windows ones:

- Copy the following two files FIRST to your device or uSD Card; then across to ..\Windows directory.
- Ignore the warning messages about overwriting.
- NB. This will NOT work using either Copy|Paste from the desktop via AS/WMDC OR the built-in File Explorer.
- It WILL work if you install a suitable 3rd party file explorer such as Resco Explorer 2010. This also incorporates a very useful on-board Registry Editor and is highly recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	welcomehead.192.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	297585, Click image for larger version

Name:	poweroff.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	297586

Part 7 - Add a Soft Power Off Shortcut (exactly the same function as the hardware button)

- Unzip and copy the following shortcut (.lnk file) to ..\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
PowerOffHint.zip

Part 8 - Test the shortcut by going Start | Power Off (Icon with Red circle and White cross).
- Press the hardware Power button to reboot
- On reboot, you should be greeted by the Windows start screen and as fully soft de-branded a device as is currently possible.

Part 9 - Supplementary improvements:

Add Microsoft .net Mobile Framework 3.5 and .net Config Manager
- Install NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab
- Install netcfcfg.cab

Then open .Net Configuration (Icon in Start Menu) and check you have:

.Net Compact Framework versions installed:
2.0.7045.0 (ROM)

Go to Device Policy tab and select 'Run unconfigured applications with the following'
3.5.7283 and then tap 'Apply'; Close

Part 10 - Strongly Recommended:

Install a suitable on-device File Explorer / Registry Editor (eg. Resco Explorer 2010)
Install a suitable Backup app (eg. Sprite Backup, Resco Backup or SPB Backup)

Now make a 'Master' Backup so you can easily get back to a 'clean' build after your next Hard Reset without having to repeat the above process !

Edit: Experience has shown that while a Master Backup is still really good for certain aspects (eg. all your own Operator Settings which WILL get restored to the Registry following an HR, unfortunately because the above process also deletes lots of Keys/Values, these will stay in place post-HR. Basically restoring the Master Backup will overwrite any values, but it doesn't delete anything.

Acknowledgements:
- To all the various sources across XDA and other Forums - Thank You for a vast mine of information which I have tapped into to pull together here along with my own researches.

Request:
- I have tested the above procedures on a TG01, both to create the information and then walk through and follow it...
- There are however almost certain to be some 'bugs' which will be encountered, also depending on individuals' configurations, ISPs, etc.
- So, it will be greatly appreciated if you find a bug to please PM me with the details and I will then update this post accordingly.

Enjoy.... :)

22nd March 2010, 10:29 PM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer

More
Reserved #1
Spare for additional material if required.
23rd March 2010, 12:41 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Thanks for info kevin but i cant seem to get past part 2

Quote:

Part 2 - Remove unwanted .cab Files prior to startup

Start CeRegEdit

- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\AutoCabInstall
- DELETE all Values in this section that you do not want to retain.
- If you have a licenced copy of Core Player, will also wish to remove this so you can install the later version now available separately.

When i open up ceregedit it doesnt detect my tg01 so i cant get into the reg files. Is there something special i need to do to get ceregedit to detect my phone - im connected via usb.
23rd March 2010, 12:42 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you very much for the information, it is very detailed explanation indeed, good job!!!
23rd March 2010, 08:18 AM |#5  
Flag Chisinau
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
many thanks Kevin!

only one question left - at the end you suggest to make a master backup so that we can later restore the phone with the above settings...how to make a back up?

great thread!
23rd March 2010, 11:37 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Exclamation
nice post shame i dont have my tg01 anymore would have loved to have got rid of orange branding
23rd March 2010, 11:51 AM |#7  

More
Kevin,

this is a brilliant how-too

& i thought i was 'brutal' with last bedrand... you've taken way more off than i even knew was there...

i just swapped to o2 PAYG & these settings (even without a hard reset) really helped strip out the orange (perhaps they should rename to brown) MMS / internet etc

FYI (to the board ~ kevin'll know this already)

a LOT of these settings can be removed without a hard reset, but it would be better to start from a fresh install if possible

but (if like me) you already did the auto cab install remove, then you can still delete the settings mentioned above.

Thanks again Kevin.

This just leaves the orange boot up screen... i'm getting no where with that... like people have said.. needs a unlocked ROM methinks... can't even find the file on the phone
23rd March 2010, 11:53 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkdeath5000

Thanks for info kevin but i cant seem to get past part 2

When i open up ceregedit it doesnt detect my tg01 so i cant get into the reg files. Is there something special i need to do to get ceregedit to detect my phone - im connected via usb.

if on vista/win7 - you must run ceregedit as a administrator

the phone must have made a active sync connection with windows (NOT just show up in win explorer) or ceregedit wont detect it.

cheers
23rd March 2010, 11:54 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_petrov303

many thanks Kevin!

only one question left - at the end you suggest to make a master backup so that we can later restore the phone with the above settings...how to make a back up?

great thread!

you'll need 3rd party software like spb back up... search on this forum - you'll find plenty of info

cheers
23rd March 2010, 08:04 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_petrov303

many thanks Kevin!

great thread!

You're welcome I've edited links to each of the 3 principle Backup solutions own websites into the first post. I'd say they are broadly similar, but each tend to have their own enthusiasts. Suggest a quick trawl on XDA and other forums for feedback and then 'try before you buy' where a trial version is available to check out.
23rd March 2010, 08:17 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialkillazzs

nice post shame i dont have my tg01 anymore would have loved to have got rid of orange branding

Thank you - you could always 'come back' you know !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)