FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REQ] Password protected boot/fastboot/recovery

759 posts
Thanks Meter: 55

Post Reply Email Thread
Even if one has installed some kind of lockdown/tracking software + lock pattern there is always the possibility that a thief would know how to reflash and/or wipe the phone or be able to use Google to find out how.

Has anyone worked on adding the possibility of locking access to fastboot, recovery and OS boot? (Password protecting adb would also be a nice addition.)

There is not much these forums about it. Here is a thread that died: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=531225

I would be fine with compiling my own recovery image if that is what it takes to get my own password, but I guess fastboot is the biggest concern.

I hope some smart developers will take their time to read this and think about it. Let's hear some input on how big of a task this is. I am sure it can be done, so take the challenge and show us some love.
The Following User Says Thank You to maedox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maedox Ad-Free

9th April 2010, 06:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 444

More
wow this is an awesome idea. ya because apps like mobiledefense or wavesecure would be useless if the thief knows how to wipe the phone. this would be great and i would love to see it work. i dont know crap about making my own recovery or else i would do it if thats what it means to make my own password protected recovery. but like u said, fastboot is a greater challenge.
9th April 2010, 07:48 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I could see recovery maybe having this but the bootloader you are out of luck unless you have a dev or holiday version of the nexus. We currently cant flash custom SPL's because they are sig checked.
10th April 2010, 01:55 AM |#4  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 11

More
What happens when you forget your password? Brick?
10th April 2010, 02:00 AM |#5  
Flag Elizabeth
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatMew

What happens when you forget your password? Brick?

Damn if you forget it than you are just too stupid, lol Jk

but good question, however i don't think any development on this will be done anytime soon, id definitely support it though if it ever starts.
10th April 2010, 05:33 AM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 720

More
Locking the SPL would require us to be able to write/flash one, which is currently impossible
10th April 2010, 05:38 PM |#7  
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 315

More
Maybe a petition to google to set forth this new option then?

Because I was thinking the same thing...our laptops can do it, because duh, if someone steals your lappy they could just wipe to get the hardware so we can put a BIOS password so even thats impossible.

Our so 'open' phones should follow suit...please google, read this. It would be a fantastic option, that way its rendered completely useless to anyone that steals it and is smart with them (aka anyone reading these forums ).

THANKS
10th April 2010, 10:57 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up I want it
I've been thinking of how to 'secure' my phone's data again since I unlocked the bootloader... but this would be the way.

The feature request goes like this: Password protect the bootloader both for fastboot and getting into recovery (the option to start recovery should be password protected). A wipe is required in order to reset the password.

An additional and optional theft lock (along the lines of what the OP wants) would disable the password reset/wipe feature altogether, essentially bricking the phone if the password is unknown. Not exactly what I want (I just want my data to be safe), but should be easy enough to add both options if we have the code and can flash the SPL.

Obviously this is going nowhere if we can't flash the SPL, but there's no harm in putting this out there for Google to include in the next signed SPL.

Everyone should realize that unlocking the bootloader essentially puts all the data on your phone out there for anyone to grab without a password, given that they know a few things about fastboot/recovery. This is likely why Google forces a wipe when you originally unlock. We 'unlockers' should be given a way to get that security back.
10th April 2010, 11:02 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
We'd also need to find a way to 'type' a password (for the recovery option) while in the bootloader, since there's no keyboard. You could use the volume toggle to cycle through letters or numbers, but this puts this option far past a 'trivial' change to the SPL code. This may be why Google didn't include the option in the beginning.
11th April 2010, 12:51 AM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,780

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslam08

Maybe a petition to google to set forth this new option then?

Because I was thinking the same thing...our laptops can do it, because duh, if someone steals your lappy they could just wipe to get the hardware so we can put a BIOS password so even thats impossible.

Our so 'open' phones should follow suit...please google, read this. It would be a fantastic option, that way its rendered completely useless to anyone that steals it and is smart with them (aka anyone reading these forums ).

THANKS

A computer bios password only keeps people from changing bios settings. They can still format the hard drive.
11th April 2010, 01:39 AM |#11  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahump

I've been thinking of how to 'secure' my phone's data again since I unlocked the bootloader... but this would be the way.

The feature request goes like this: Password protect the bootloader both for fastboot and getting into recovery (the option to start recovery should be password protected). A wipe is required in order to reset the password.

An additional and optional theft lock (along the lines of what the OP wants) would disable the password reset/wipe feature altogether, essentially bricking the phone if the password is unknown. Not exactly what I want (I just want my data to be safe), but should be easy enough to add both options if we have the code and can flash the SPL.

Obviously this is going nowhere if we can't flash the SPL, but there's no harm in putting this out there for Google to include in the next signed SPL.

Everyone should realize that unlocking the bootloader essentially puts all the data on your phone out there for anyone to grab without a password, given that they know a few things about fastboot/recovery. This is likely why Google forces a wipe when you originally unlock. We 'unlockers' should be given a way to get that security back.

This would be really great... an idea, if ever possible, to overcome the bricking phone by password being lost, is somehow emailing it to the registered google account... or maybe sending an sms to a known phone number that was registered before...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
access restriction, boot, fastboot, recovery, spl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)