FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] Rooting ALL Non-Sprint CDMA Heros Stuck On 1.5 From Sprint's 2.1 RUU

695 posts
Thanks Meter: 624

Post Reply Email Thread
Before I even begin the tutorial I need to point out something:

THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND YOU MAY LOSE SUPPORT FROM YOUR CARRIER. THIS ALSO HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BREAK YOUR ABILITY TO UPGRADE TO YOUR CARRIERS OFFICIAL 2.1 UPDATE WHEN RELEASED

What is an RUU?
RUU (or radio unit update) is a factory restore update which will wipe your handset and re-program it. Sometimes this is done as a troubleshooting step to fix a corrupt operating system, sometimes it is done as a clean update.

How can a Sprint RUU break your ability to update to 2.1 from your carrier?
Most RUU updates include updates for the bootloader (HBOOT). HBOOT does NOT take kindly to being downgraded. If you run an RUU from Sprint then find out that the RUU from your carrier for 2.1 has an older version of HBOOT then your official RUU will fail with an error of "Main version is older!"

Why does using a Sprint RUU void my warranty or remove my carrier support?
You are removing the software which was tailored specifically for your carrier. This can have undesirable results and potentially break things. You can't expect your carrier's technical support to help you with Sprint software or with bugs because of a custom ROM from the XDA community.

Anytime you mess with your phones operating system and firmware you also have the potential to cause serious problems. DO NOT attempt this process unless you are certain you know what you are doing!

THIS SHOULD WORK ON ALL HTC HERO PHONES CURRENTLY RUNNING OS 1.5 (CUPCAKE)

LINK IS FINALLY UP! CLICK HERE FOR THE ZIP FILE

Documents in the linked ZIP file (in the order you should use them)
  • Android - Setting Up ADB Access
  • HTC Hero - Installing Sync and Drivers
  • Android - Creating a GoldCard
  • HTC Hero - Flashing RUU from microSDHC
  • Android - Flashing Custom Recovery Image
  • HTC Hero - Flashing 2.1 ROM
Files in the linked ZIP file
  • HERCIMG.zip (RUU rom.zip from Sprint's latest 2.1 test build)
  • flash_image
  • recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img

READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU GET STARTED!

DO YOU REALLY WANT A $500 PAPERWEIGHT BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO IMPATIENT TO SPEND 10 MINUTES READING?

GETTING STARTED

There are THREE things you must have to proceed:
  1. A CDMA HTC Hero (not a GSM version)
  2. The ZIP file linked to above
  3. Your MSL code*

*The MSL code is a six digit code used to access your phones programming. Some carriers use a generic 000000 or one code for all of their devices. Other carriers have an MSL which is device specific. I am NOT going to help you find your MSL code! If you don't know it, contact your carrier and ask for it or search the forum for other means of obtaining it.

Basic Setup
Complete the steps in the following guides (which are in attached zip)
  1. Android - Setting Up ADB Access.docx
  2. HTC Hero - Installing Sync and Drivers.docx

Before you begin following the rest of the guides in the attached ZIP file you will need to backup your PRL. PRL is the preferred roaming list and tells your phone which carriers/towers it can use. If this file is incorrect you could end up with poor service or potentially roaming charges.

WHEN YOU USE A SPRINT RUU YOU WILL END UP WITH A SPRINT PRL! YOU MUST BACKUP YOUR PRL BEFORE GETTING STARTED SO YOU CAN RESTORE IT AFTER THE RUU.

PRL Backup
(the following instructions are adapted from THIS link)

1. Download and install the latest version of QPST from HERE
2. Dial ##3424# on your Hero to put it into diagnosic mode and connect to your computer via USB
3. Open QPST Configuration and go to the PORTS tab
4. Click on "Add New Port".
5. Select the port listed as USB/QC Diagnostics (may vary, just don't use the data modem one)
6. Go to Start Clients Dropdown and select Service Programming
7. From Service Programming your phone should be selected - Click OK
8. Click "Read from Phone" and Enter MSL. Various fields should populate, don't worry about what tab you are one
9. Click "Save to File" and save to wherever you want (just remember where)

The prl will be located in the directory you saved the file in and labeled as <yourphoneesn>_sp.rl0

Advanced Tasks
Complete the steps in the following guides (which are in attached zip)
  1. Android - Creating a GoldCard.docx
  2. HTC Hero - Flashing RUU from microSDHC.docx
  3. Android - Flashing Custom Recovery Image.docx
  4. HTC Hero - Flashing 2.1 ROM.docx

EDIT:
Because the RUU file updates HBOOT before it goes on to update the system it's possible that this will invalidate your current goldcard. DON'T FREAK OUT IF THE RUU FAILS AFTER THE FIRST TWO STEPS! Just pull the battery to reboot and redo the goldcard from scratch again. You should find that this time the RUU will complete.

PRL Restore
  1. Copy the PRL file to the root of your microSD card
  2. Dial ##775# on the handset and enter the MSL code when prompted for password
  3. Tap on Update PRL
  4. If it read your microSD card correctly your PRL file should be listed in the bottom half of the screen to select
  5. Select your PRL and click OK
  6. Press the MENU button and tap on Commit Modifications (which will reboot the phone)

10th April 2010, 09:00 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Anchorage, AK

More
Here's a simple clean-up script attached to remove what I consider to be useless applications. I've copied the script into this thread so you can see what it will remove before you run it. If there's anything you want to keep just right click the batch file, select EDIT, then remove the line deleting the program you want to keep.

adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_Core.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_TVWidget.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_TV.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_Nscar.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_Navigation.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_NFL.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/SDSA.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/sfl-prod-release.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Flickr.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/HtcTwitter.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/IM.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/OMADM.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Facebook.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/HtcFacebook.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/IQRD.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Launcher2.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/com.htc.StockWidget.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/Stock.apk
Attached Files
File Type: zip cleanup.zip - [Click for QR Code] (329 Bytes, 43 views)
10th April 2010, 09:20 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Anchorage, AK

More
I just threw this together this morning so it might have some errors. If you find anything that needs to be corrected please post here or PM me and I'll get to it as soon as I can.
11th April 2010, 12:36 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
is there a way around the htc sync / sdk conflict?
11th April 2010, 09:05 AM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Anchorage, AK

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanfrost

is there a way around the htc sync / sdk conflict?

I've never been able to get them to play nice on the same PC. If you're planning on sticking with Android phones for a while keep the SDK on your PC and instead of using the HTC Sync application use Missing Sync.
10th May 2010, 10:08 AM |#6  
Flag Biloxi, MS
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nevermind, I figured out the answers to my questions on my own.
15th May 2010, 06:50 AM |#7  
Flag Anchorage Alaska
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Thanks for the guide. This worked perfectly. ACS wireless here. Use the attatched PRL and you can skip the qpst backup step. This should in theory work for converting a gci hero to acs, but i have not tested that.

UPDATED: Now attached is the official radio update from the ACS RUU that dropped today. Version is 2.42.01.04.23
Attached Files
File Type: zip ACS_PRL.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: zip radio-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.74 MB, 64 views)
29th May 2010, 09:25 AM |#8  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Got it to work on my hero on GCI/AK Digitel.
I ran into a couple of problems but I was able to get around it.

The first problem I ran into was hercimg.zip wouldn't install. It installed initially and updated my hboot and radio but it would just go back to the hboot menu every time it would extract and check. I finally got it to install after removing my battery during the green htc logo then going into hboot. I tried re-creating the gold card and formatting my sdcard but I couldn't get it to work until the battery got pulled on the htc logo which I did on accident.

The second problem I had was when I was installing the custom recovery image. I tried both methods in the tutorial but it wouldn't work in the end I had to follow the How-To repair your bootloader after using the 2.1 RUU tutorial at androidcentral and it work out great

But now I am rooted and running fresh 2.1.1 so everything is great!!!

Thanks for the tutorial!!!
20th June 2010, 09:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thanks
Thanks for all the hard work on this, but it would be nice if you posted document files that do not require office 2007 or better as I do not have it or want it. Plain old text works great and is quite cross platform and document viewer compatible.
21st June 2010, 04:54 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Damn! Wish this was here before I rooted a month ago! lol.
21st June 2010, 06:01 PM |#11  
Flag Kenai
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Talking
Thank you very much for the work you put into this awesome post!!! After reading it over and over I am ROOT!!!!! I really want to thank YOU, ipfreelytech, and d-shade for the help you guys gave me. Now I'm off to flash!

Thanks guys!!!!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)