FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Overclocking your android msm7k device

2,018 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,026

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there,
A little cross-post from a post I made on Hero CDMA thread, as this patch applies to many android devices
Overclocking msm7k has been supported on wince devices' linux port for a long time now. (months for msm720xa, and maybe even more for 720x and 750x, I haven't see the details). So it's the same idea that has been implemented here.
Making it work was more difficult than for wince devices, because the radio software is way too clever on android. Still, we got past this difficulty, and it works.
It's actually even better than what ToAsTcfh actually got, he posted only older results which were bottlenecked at 620MHz, now this patch provide users with a 710MHz frequency.
And it should work for all msm7x0xa devices. (so that makes almost double speed for stock G1 ).

For people who wants even more overclocking, you can change the values:
the writel(0x25, ......) line,
This value is the multiplier from 19.2MHz to cpu frequency, 19.2MHz*0x25=710.4MHz
You can change it to whatever value you want, but the higher limit seems to be around 750MHz.
If you want to play with mem values, edit the line:
Code:
        { 528000, ACPU_PLL_2, 2, 1, 132000, 3, VDD_7, 160000, 0, 5, -1 },
Change the 3 after 132000, it's the divisor of memory compared to cpu frequency, -1 (with default settings, it's 132MHz=528MHz/(3+1)

The patch is attached, and also available at http://htcandroid.xland.cz/oc.diff.txt

Now the credits, thanks to bzo for the idea, and the implementation on wince devices, and thanks ToAsTcfh for the tests (it really needed a lot of time, even if the patch looks damn simple now, stupid radio software!), and for making me remember he exists.

Basically, all devices from HTC from before 2009 should be supported (all versions of G1, G2, G3), LG GW620, samsung galaxy, and many others.

To noobs: To get this patch working, you need to build the linux kernel for your phone. Basically, wait for you rom modder to do it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt oc.diff.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.5 KB, 2283 views)

20th April 2010, 07:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Has anybody tried this with the Huawei U8220 aka T-Mobile Pulse?
It's not from HTC and manufactured after 2009, but the kernel source looks "patchable".

Greetings,
BigBear
4th May 2010, 11:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Re: Overclocking your android msm7k device
so this overclock will work on sprints cdma hero?

Sent from my HERO200 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk
5th May 2010, 07:45 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 3,026

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny8030

so this overclock will work on sprints cdma hero?

Sent from my HERO200 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

It already works on it, it's the base of all tests...
7th July 2010, 10:21 AM |#5  

More
Hi

I am new here. I am using XDANDROID 2.2 AOSP 1.7.10, can you pliz explain a little bit more for a noob on how to over clock with your patch.
22nd July 2010, 07:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
hey,
is a patched kernel available?
22nd July 2010, 09:11 AM |#7  
Flag Gummersbach
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by isRaZZe

hey,
is a patched kernel available?

Haha ^^ which u want? ^^
5th August 2010, 09:00 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy urgent help!
i have to admit,i am a noob,and i.need serius help on my gsm touch pro,i installed android 2.1 with htc sense ui,my devise is now screaming because it is very slow,i need HELP!(sorry,i have poor english :P)
26th September 2010, 07:46 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,172

Donate to Me
More
I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Managed to get the changes into the Huawei U8110 kernel source and managed to overclock my U8100 to 691.2MHz (rebooted on 710.4) and I have the benchmarks to prove it. Thanks again.
23rd October 2010, 05:22 AM |#10  
Flag Wuxi&Shanghai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzork

Hi

I am new here. I am using XDANDROID 2.2 AOSP 1.7.10, can you pliz explain a little bit more for a noob on how to over clock with your patch.

seems you need to compile the kernel
6th February 2011, 08:06 PM |#11  

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by likounin

seems you need to compile the kernel

Yes, you need to compile the kernel.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)