Thanks Meter: 6

By zonkkk, Senior Member on 26th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th April 2010, 10:56 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I bought this one from local Maplin store last night
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=267947

Has a retractable MINIusb lead and a standard usb socket to plug your micro lead into. Can charge 2 devices at once too.

Seems to work fine although not had a chance to test it with the phone under constant drain (satnav) yet. 1A output should be enough though.
30th April 2010, 01:27 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzleezz

I bought this one from local Maplin store last night
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=267947

Has a retractable MINIusb lead and a standard usb socket to plug your micro lead into. Can charge 2 devices at once too.

Seems to work fine although not had a chance to test it with the phone under constant drain (satnav) yet. 1A output should be enough though.

Is the retractable miniusb lead able to plug directly ito the desire? if it is, do you think its long enough?
30th April 2010, 09:28 AM |#13  

More
Afc, the retractable lead is miniusb not micro so no it won't. I've heard there are mini to micro converters so that would let you use it that way, not searched for them yet so no idea where from.

The retractable lead is 75cm long. I suppose it depends where your accessory socket is and where you mount your phone in your car. For me that would be fine, socket is just at bottom of dash and phone mounted on a vent holder (cheapo Tesco one for now) in my ferrari enzo (its the one that looks a lot like a Ford focus )
30th April 2010, 09:55 AM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I am using my original Satnav car charger (rated 1.2 A).
This has a miniUSB connector, so I bought a miniUsb female -> USB female adaptor, and shorted the data lines together. And I am using a USB to micro USB cable to connect to the phone.

Now it works like a charm. Charges about 5% of battery for every 20 minutes of use with GPS + NAVIGATION + DATA + SCREEN FULL BRIGHTNESS on.

I don't know why I didn't think about it before buying the cheap car-charger with a USB port from ebay (the one that started melting, and wasn't even charging properly with everything on even if it was rated 1000mA).

Maybe this may be of use to someone...
30th April 2010, 05:48 PM |#15  

More
Update on the maplin charger I mentioned earlier. 40 min journey the battery lost 5% charge going to buy a converter for my tomtom charger I think. Another 10 quid down the drain.
7th May 2010, 11:01 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Update on the maplin charger I mentioned earlier. 40 min journey the battery lost 5% charge going to buy a converter for my tomtom charger I think. Another 10 quid down the drain.

Yep, can confirm this charger does NOT supply enough to even keep the Desire running while using Sat Nav :(

Kev
8th May 2010, 12:17 AM |#17  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi i've got this usb car charger, is this strong enough to charge the phone with the screen and gps on

USB Car Charger
11th May 2010, 12:07 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright

Yep, can confirm this charger does NOT supply enough to even keep the Desire running while using Sat Nav :(

Kev

If you short the data pins on the Maplin charger then it provides enough charge to keep everything going.

It's actually the phone that's the culprit. It will only take 500ma when on charge via usb, but will take about 900ma when on ac. By shorting the data pins on the charger you fool the phone in to believing it is on AC charge, so it takes more from the charger. If you're going to short the data pins on a charger you must make sure its rated at least 1A.

I have the Maplin charger (the one that Reb1 posted an image of on page 1) and can confirm that shorting the data pins works.
11th May 2010, 01:33 AM |#19  

More
Aaahhh, interesting post!

Have soldered the centre pins on my maplin charger (the dual one with the retractable lead) will test it as soon as I need to drive some distance.

Assuming it works thanks very much

*update*

Soldered the 2 centre connections together on the back of the usb socket in my car charger. Took it for a 30 minute triip this evening, had navigation software running, music playing, gps, WiFi, 3g - the lot. Gained 10% charge when I arrived! Stunned and very gratefully for the advice, thanks mate
12th May 2010, 11:50 AM |#20  

More
Quote:

Have soldered the centre pins on my maplin charger (the dual one with the retractable lead) will test it as soon as I need to drive some distance.

*update*

Soldered the 2 centre connections together on the back of the usb socket in my car charger. Took it for a 30 minute triip this evening, had navigation software running, music playing, gps, WiFi, 3g - the lot. Gained 10% charge when I arrived! Stunned and very gratefully for the advice, thanks mate

Hhhm didn't realise that editing my last post would not mark it as unread. Important info above that I'm sure people would like to read so bumping with this post.
12th May 2010, 01:18 PM |#21  
Flag Sweden
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

*update*

Where do I solder?

Pics please!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)