FORUMS

T-mobile uk Hero goldcard but can't run RUU, USB error - help!

166 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By msiviter, Senior Member on 29th April 2010, 06:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

Using the old HTC wwe RUU (I've tried the two different recommended ones from the guides here at unlockr and Modaco) the RUU goes to the bootloader then on the PC is says 'waiting for bootloader' which then goes to error [171] USB connection error after about a minute (handset displays USB RUU). I've got adb and all the drivers. What am I doing wrong, I establish a sync with HTC sync (latest version ) before launching the RUU? Can I use Droid Explorer to help me or are these RUUs the only way of getting an old ROM on?

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Matt

I've trawled the forum with search but can't find a resolution.
29th April 2010, 11:19 PM |#2  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiviter

Hi,

Using the old HTC wwe RUU (I've tried the two different recommended ones from the guides here at unlockr and Modaco) the RUU goes to the bootloader then on the PC is says 'waiting for bootloader' which then goes to error [171] USB connection error after about a minute (handset displays USB RUU). I've got adb and all the drivers. What am I doing wrong, I establish a sync with HTC sync (latest version ) before launching the RUU? Can I use Droid Explorer to help me or are these RUUs the only way of getting an old ROM on?

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Matt

I've trawled the forum with search but can't find a resolution.

You are probably running the wrong driver. Follow my driver guide part iv. (You should be on My HTC not ADB driver)

If not then probably your gold card hasn't stuck (check it) or you'll need to use windows xp instead (can use a virtual machine).
29th April 2010, 11:51 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I had this issue when using windows 7 64 bit.

Download the drivers in the attachment in the noob guide. Then reboot your phone into the htc bootloader (power on while holding back button).
Then connect your phone to the pc and use device manager (have disk) to install the drivers you downloaded. then run the HTC RUU with the phone still in the htc bootloader.
The drivers had to be installed whilst I was in the bootloader for it to work for me.

Might be worth adding this to the noob guide?
30th April 2010, 12:01 AM |#4  
Flag Bournemouth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwan

Then reboot your phone into the htc bootloader (power on while holding back button).
Then connect your phone to the pc and use device manager (have disk) to install the drivers you downloaded. then run the HTC RUU with the phone still in the htc bootloader.
The drivers had to be installed whilst I was in the bootloader for it to work for me.

Might be worth adding this to the noob guide?

Depending on whether this works for this guy, might be a simpler method than the alternative.

@msiviter - please try the above quoted method first
30th April 2010, 01:01 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I had this issue, and the solution for me was just to swap to a new computer, and it installed instantly
30th April 2010, 08:27 AM |#6  
Flag Zutphen
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Try This
While trying to flash the RUU the phone reboots.

When it is rebooted you see RUU.usb on your phone screen. But no flash process.

While phone is still connected to pc and is still in RUU.usb mode.

Go to device manager on your pc. Right klik android devices and renew the USB driver to HTC driver.

Reboot computer and reboot phone.

then try to flash again.

This was the solution for me.
30th April 2010, 06:06 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Tried all the above, spent 6 hours on it, I've got the closest by going to a (win7 64bit) pc that has never had the sdk on it then the RUU goes further but terminates with error [140] Incorrect Bootloader. I've made my goldcard again to no avail (Sandisk 512mb) and checked the goldcard data which was OK, I'll try it tomorrow on a different (Kingston 8gb) card.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help so far.

Matt

Update: New SD card and goldcard now gives 'Error [131] Incorrect Customer ID' on my Win7 x64, I'll try on my dads old XP laptop later!!!
30th April 2010, 09:05 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I suspect it is a windows 7 issue. On the first attempt I managed to downgrade when I moved to my Vista machine.

I must have tried for about 6 hours with Win7 then moved back to my old Vista PC and it worked first time.

From observing the process on Win7, when the phone boots to the bootloader, the RUU program then gives it 180 seconds to confirm Bootloader is loaded "waiting for bootloader...1-180sec". Looking at the system tray the USB driver that is used for HTCsync disconnects and the device now says it is Android 1.0 and Win7 needs to find a driver for this. Win7 fails to find a driver for "Android 1.0" so it never allows propper communication between the phone and the computer.

(There are separate Win7 64-bit drivers - check you are using these?)
P.P.S. The stock card that came with the phone worked fine as a Goldcard for me and I think most people.
2nd May 2010, 05:45 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
OK I've now tried on a sp3 x86 XP machine and I still got Error [140] and [131] whether trying from phone synced to pc or phone booted in Fastboot USB.

I've given up. I'll wait until June!
2nd May 2010, 08:00 PM |#10  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:

OK I've now tried on a sp3 x86 XP machine and I still got Error [140] and [131] wheter trying from phone synced to pc or phone booted in Fastboot USB.

You installed the latest version of HTC Sync while your phone was unplugged/ Then you plugged the phone in to detect new drivers. Waited for the drivers to successfully install and then ran the RUU?
2nd May 2010, 08:43 PM |#11  
Flag Bournemouth

More
Quote:

OK I've now tried on a sp3 x86 XP machine and I still got Error [140] and [131] wheter trying from phone synced to pc or phone booted in Fastboot USB.

What drivers are reading in device manager when in the normal os? And same question when in fastboot mode?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)