Search This thread

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
Thanks, it's been about 10 hours since the last reboot.. I'll post an update in a few days. And no I don't have any task killers installed, I read about them causing problems before I got my phone...
Also I'm not sure if this is relevant but the "Incredible" users seem to have similar issues..(sorry if links to other forums are forbidden)
h ttp://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-incredible/69315-random-reboots.html

Last edited:

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
Well its seems like I jynxed it... the phone just rebooted on me again after I got an email notification light flashing while I was watching a video on YouTube... I guess it is a WiFi issue after all... could it possibly be overheating while on the internet? According to BatteryLife widget the temperature of the battery is 31' C

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
Apart from standard apps I have the following installed:

3G Watchdog
A online radio
Astro player beta
Barcode scanner
BatteryLife
eoeAppinstaller
File manager
Gameboid
Gensoid
Goggles
GPS Status
gStrings
Jewels
MapDroyd
Musical lite
Nesoid
Notes
Rob Defense
Space physics
Wallpaper plus
Weather & Toggle Widgets

jonmall1441

Apr 14, 2010
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
@jonmall1441

do you know of any shop stocking the HTC desire in Malta pls ?

Sorry i don't i got mine from clove.co.uk . To be honest i don't think that they will be stocked in Malta for a while considering that the hero is quite new here and it would be cheaper getting it online, seeing as the hero is about €500 in Malta.

MGuDiM said:
Apart from standard apps I have the following installed:

3G Watchdog
A online radio
Astro player beta

I can't say i've heard about issues on any of those apps. Best thing to do is contact HTC by email and I think you can even call them free of charge.

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
screw this, I did a Hard Reset, hopefully this won't happen again as it was very annoying

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
no problem:), the phone's running much smoother now, I backed up all the contacts and settings so it wasn't a big deal.. I haven't had any reboots after reset *fingers crossed* but again I haven't had that much time to test it properly yet
What about yours? has it stopped rebooting?

jonmall1441

Apr 14, 2010
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Yea mine seems to be running as smooth as butter now. :) I'm glad all the time spent trying to figure out what was wrong was not for nothing. Now just eagerly awaiting the froyo release and HTC's statement on that :) (hopefully an update by the end of summer)

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
Well my phone still reboots even after hard reset. But it isn't as often as it used to be... faulty hardware? I emailed HTC about it 3 days ago and they still haven't replied...

_KNT_

Feb 28, 2009
My Desire kept overheating. No rooting was done nor the rom/firmware have been changed.
Probable causes were using too much radios, low 3G signal and charging while one of the above.
But wensday I've had a conversation, lasting over 20 minutes, via a BT headset, while charging. When I've wanted to check the conversations duration time the phone rebooted itself, vibrated, HTC logo showed... and nothing... The phone could be stuck in this state for a couple of hours. Oly the battery would heat up. Didn't react even to charging.
A wipe didn't help, so the phone went back for servicing the next day.

Last edited:

pee_cee

Mar 20, 2010
I'm having the same rebooting issue. is there any way to enable any type of logging, to identify what is causing it? I have loads of apps (not rooted), any of which could be the cause! It would be nice if there was some way of identifying the issue rather than trial and error?

jonmall1441

Apr 14, 2010
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
I'm having the same rebooting issue. is there any way to enable any type of logging, to identify what is causing it? I have loads of apps (not rooted), any of which could be the cause! It would be nice if there was some way of identifying the issue rather than trial and error?

If there is i don't know about it sorry. The easies way to find out which app is causing the issue is to turn the phone on into safemode (hold down "menu" button while booting) and see if it instantly re boots. If it does than remove say 5 apps at a time and reboot into safe mode and see if the auto rebooting stops if it does than its one of the 5 apps you just uninstalled that is causing the issue. Install them back 1 at a time and reboot into safe mode each time until you find which app is causing the reboot.

Make sure you have some free time for this as it does take quite a bit of time... this is the way i found the app causing the reboots.

QUICK NOTE: do you have a task manager of some kind installed like Taskiller or Advanced Task Manager? If so remove them and see if that helps

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
uhm so yeah, even Factory Reset didn't help... returned my phone for the new one today, it's nice and shiny again :)

MGuDiM

May 12, 2010
no not at all:) I'm glad I didn't order it online, would've been a pain getting a replacement

jonmall1441

Apr 14, 2010
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Hey can some one do me a favor? Could you download Replica Island (its an alright game) and tell me how well the joystick works? Its been a pain to use on mine and its been ultra smooth on my brother's legend so i want to see if its something with desire track pads or if tis just mine hehe.

myth1001

Nov 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hey can some one do me a favor? Could you download Replica Island (its an alright game) and tell me how well the joystick works? Its been a pain to use on mine and its been ultra smooth on my brother's legend so i want to see if its something with desire track pads or if tis just mine hehe.

I tried that game too and I can't manage the joystick well enough. It's hard to use the joystick sometimes. I'm still new to Desire anyway, might just be inexperience :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems a lot of people having this problem.
    A poll to count how many?
    Mine doesn't have any problem, yet I'm worried.
    HTC Desire SV reboot

Although, this is the "desire General" forum, this should add some information to the existing ones, hope this is okay

I purchased the "Desire SV" about 2 months ago, which also has the similar bug/feature of rebooting on its own, which started after almost a month of purchase.
    By then I had installed a lot of crap apps and uninstalled them if I didnt like. Also I have Nova launcher and customized it to my liking.
    The phone is still under warranty and default ROM.

Now on the reboot disease, after going through the forums like this, here is what I did.
    1> Factory reset the phone a couple of times but it didn't help.

So 2 weeks back, spoke to the customer care guy & tried safe mode but no use. So I
    2> Removed some of the suspected apps -> no use
    3> Installed, CPU Spy, System Monitor, Diagonsis, alogrec, alogcat to study further -> helped me :)
    4> Read somewhere that the GSM/WCAMA auto mode was some kind of a problem
    So changed it to only the "WCDMA" mode. -> helped me :)

And then I started the 1st test last week, for about 100 hours the phone has been running fine.
    All the while, I was checking for the probable clues using the above tools, and I also did this:

-> installed back the regular apps which I use and games like temple run 2, install &
    uninstall some junk/trial apps --> No reboot occured.

-> Played Temple run 2/Browsed Internet on 2G & also Internet-Pass through/ as much as 1 hr everyday at random times --> No reboot occured.

-> On the move during the day and faced no problem on the calls or Internet --> No reboot occured.

-> However, Observed that the phone got hot on the top part of the phone's backside (i.e behind the proximity sensor or left side of the camera)

-> Observed that in "Diagnosis", temperature shot up to a maximum of 41 deg Cel during playing games or browsing or on charging --> No reboot occured.

Monitored the frequency range of CPU to see the track. @92Hours: 1GHz: about 8%, 245MHz: 15%, Deep Sleep: about 70%, rest all under 5%
    couldn't use alogrec or alogcat since it was too much information for me to track the bug.

However, yesterday the bug silently occured and caught me unaware. I missed switching on the alogrec at 100 hrs. Here's the sequence of events about an hour before the reboot hit...
    1> Observed signal low, but still opened Maps apps and browsed - Data transfer was slow even though there was no signal bar. Maps loaded very slowly on 2G connection.

2> Used Camera to click on a few pics (used flash and normal) & tx'ed 4 pics using bluetooth - all ok

3> Pocketed the phone and a few minutes later, BBBBBangggggggggg!!! Reboot occured
    (Here missed to observe the heat on the backside of the phone)

Now I am not new to Linux or embedded Linux, but am a newbie to mobile communications and I don't know Java. So no app knowledge. So there is my limitation.

Any Questions? Any Inputs? All are welcome to assist in the 2nd test. Its definitely a radio issue.

The 2nd test is in progress.
    Right, very interesting.... Just called HTC to book phone in for repair. Spoke to the girl which explained that reboot occurs when reception is weak and app you are using at the moment requires internet access. Because of the poor reception, some of the data is missing, and CPU has to work much harder, basically, it's trying to work with information which it hasn't got. Also, i told her that it happened not only when using gnav, but when playing games too, to which she replied that games access internet too (which makes sense, adverts). I'll do a little test later on today. I'll put phone on charge and will play angry birds with wifi on, and then with 3g on (reception is not that great at my place), and see if i can force it to reboot. If it doesn't reboot when wifi is on, and will when wifi is off, it will become a valid explanation i suppose.

Any thoughts?

BTW Bad news guys. She said that if reception is poor again, rebooting WILL start again even with new motherboard. Basically, once it happens it gets progressively worse over the time. Hope she is wrong, but she DID sound like person who knows about these things :(
    Hello guys.
    I am afraid I won't make you happy. I did have my Desire in repair 2 months ago
    due to overheating-reboot problem.
    Repair was successful. Motherboard was immediately replaced, no more reboots.
    BUT until today! All started again. So my guess is this: It is design fault. In my opinion, every Desire will have this problem - it is just a mater of time, when the heat will degrade motherboard.
    I'll send it to repair again.
    Jan.

P.S.
    1. one more clue - the reboots are accelerating - first, it has rebooted just once, playing games on AC adapter, but then reboots became more frequent, like a short surfing on WiFi + AC adapter and at the end just a 1 minute on Google Maps with GPS and 3G, no AC adapter plugged and 5x reboot loop until phone cooles itself to boot properly. It looks like less and less tollerant to CPU usage/heat.

2. I guess it is not definitely software based - I am using stock T-Mobile Froyo - no ROM/root modifications whatsoever.
    My first repair was on stock T-Mobile Eclaire, the second one is on stock T-Mobile Froyo. These symptoms remind me behaviour of badly cooled PCs with AMD K5/K6 CPUs. The system is less and less stable and it takes shorter and shorter to overheat - chip/chips are being degraded.
    folks, the issue that i am facing is quite frustrating. when i watching flash videos on youtube or other sites, my desire reboots automatically. it does not matter which browser i use, the native one or a 3rd party one ie Dolphin HD browser. the phone keeps rebooting until i remove the battery and leave it switched off for atleast 15-20 minutes. the phone is not overheating, neither is there some unwanted app running. my phone is rooted with unrevoked and have the clockworkmod version 2.5.0.7.

and sometimes when the phone reboots, i usually hold down the volume button to ensure it boots into HBOOT. After which if I try to goto recovery, the phone keeps rebooting again.

under normal circumstances though, i am able to get into recovery without issues.

i have tried factory reset/wipe 100 times already but that doesn't fix the problem. i have also reflashed a 100 times and that again, does not fix the problem.

phone details;

HBOOT-0.93.0001
    RADIO-5.09.05.30_2
    Android 2.2 with 2.13.720.2 CL274424 release-keys
    Kernel - 2.6.32.15-gd96f2c0

3rd party apps installed;

Angry birds
    Dolphin HD browser
    pFinance
    Profile Valet
    Rom Manager
    Titanium Backup
    Winamp
    Youtube ripper

also, in the past two weeks, the phone reboots while charging too...which makes it doubly frustrating!!

HELP PLEASE!!

Looks like your problem is same like mine.
    Only solution is to send to HTC repair center for MB changing :)
    I did mine, after change MB now my desire is superb again!!