FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to replace Windows Mobile with Android (Guide)

977 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By Dukenukemx, Senior Member on 12th May 2010, 08:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
*Updated November 6th 2010*

Installing Android into Kaiser NAND for dummies.
Everything in this guide is pieced together from various threads in the Kaiser forum.
!!WARNING THIS WILL ERASE DATA ON YOUR PHONE!!

Please, make sure your SIM card is unlocked by entering Personal Unblocking Key (PUK)!!
This must be done permanently, as Android currently cannot handle a locked SIM.

#1 Does your Kaiser already have HardSPL? If not then get that done. Recommended to install 3.34 HardSPL.

#2 Does your Kaiser have a relatively new radio rom? If not then get one. Recommended to have 1.70.xx.xx and up.

#3 You don't need to SIM unlock you Kaiser, but it's a nice and easy precaution. Download KaiserUnlocker.exe to unlock your SIM. If you've already flashed your phone with Android, you'll need to flash back Windows Mobile 6.1. Go to the end of this post and it'll explain how to flash back to Windows Mobile. Bellow, you can see how easy the application works. Make sure your Kaiser is synced with your PC and follow steps 1 through 3. This means Windows Mobile Device Center, if you don't already have it. You should already have HardSPL from step #1, but this is an easier method to get it if you haven't done it yet, and you can always upgrade to 3.34 later, as this installer installs 3.29.

#4 Install a Android kernel. l1q1d's kernel can be downloaded from this location. Dzo's kernel is too old for newer Android roms, as well as kallt_kaffe's. Only download the newest Kaisimg file and choose the .nbh file that fits you. For example, "panel2" is for Kaiser owners with type 2 LCD screen, and 320 is if you want 240X320 resolution.

You'll need to edit the NBH file using atools. A detailed step by step guide on how to use it can be found here.

#5 When you're done editing the .nbh, save it and rename it to KAISimg.nbh (if it isn't already called that), and place it on you memory card. You may want to put the KAISDIAG.NBH, but I've found it not necessary.

#6 Place the SD into your Kaiser and hold the Power button and camera button down, then take your stylus and hit the reset button. Follow the instructions on the screen to flash your Kaiser. When flashing is done, reset the device with your stylus. Make sure you see the confirmation that it is done.
!!WARNING ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE WILL BE LOST!!

If the above method doesn't work, you can try this suggestion below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenity

If you are experienced at flashing Winmo using KaiserCustomRuu,exe through activesync, then you can do the same with the KAISimg.nbh, just rename it to RUU_Signed.nbh and copy it to a folder on the pc along with Kaisercustomruu.exe, flash as you would with winmo.

#7 Download your favorite Android build. I use Incubus26Jc's Super Froyo, but you can use anyone you want. Make sure to pay attention to what Android build you're about to install. If you decided on a Froyo based build, then make sure the kernel is setup for Froyo, otherwise you'll have to go back and edit the kernel again with atools, and then reflash it.

#8 On your SD card make a folder called andboot and place the androidinstall.tar file in there. It could also be called androidinstall.tgz. You may have to change settings in Windows to see extensions.

Place the SD card in your phone and power on your Kaiser. When you see text on your screen hold down the D-pad. D-pad is that button in the center of your up, down, left, right buttons. Keep holding down the D-pad until you see something like this appear on your screen.

#10 Select sys on NAND, then data on NAND. Once done then select Install system and wait for it to finish. Once it's done select quit and it'll begin booting into Android.
Installing Applications Onto SD Card using Ext2

#11 This is an additional step if you want applications installed onto your SD card. By choosing data on NAND, you're limited on how many applications you can store on your phone.

The easiest method is to choose data on ext2 data.img at step #10, which uses your Fat partition on the SD Card. It's the easiest, but you can't mount your SD card through your phones USB, or remove it. Removing the SD card will freeze the phone and you'll need to reset with the SD card back in.

Alternatively, you can partition you SD card and still mount the SD card through USB, but you can't remove the SD card still. I have found THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO which explains in detail on how to easily format your SD card for this. You can use a card reader to do the same thing, or a microSD to USB adapter. You don't have to use your phone for the videos Step 4:. You can also make your own size for partitions. I made a [7GB Fat32][64MB ext2][512MB ext2], though you can choose to do [7GB Fat32][512MB ext2][512MB ext2] or any larger combinations you want. BTW, the second smaller ext2 partition is used for swap file, but you probably don't need it. I just have it there for just in case.

Like this, but the video explains how to make a 3rd ext2 partition. As you can see, this is a picture of someone using a 2GB SD card.

You'll have to burn this iso image of gparted, and boot your PC from it.

Format like this, from left to right. Must be from left to right.
[Fat32][Ext2][Ext2]

#12 Once that's done, and assuming the andboot folder is still intact, you can go back to step #10, but instead of data on NAND you choose data on ext2 data.img, or data on SD card. Depending on what you decided to do.

**NOTES**

Some Android builds require you to flash a androidupdate file to fix certain problems, like Wifi. Place this file into your andboot folder on your SD and hold the D-pad down to get the menu, like you did to install Android. Select Install Update and after that's done then select Fix Permissions. Always gotta fix permissions when installing updates.

The kernel can be flashed without destroying your Android installation, if there's an updated kernel in the future. If you have any strange issues, like not being able to connect to wifi or select a ringtone, then shutdown your phone and pull the battery out. Hold the power button to release any remaining power for 30 seconds and place the battery back in and power on the Kaiser. You'll be surprised how often this can fix problems.

Also, here's a method on how to mount your SD card, if you're having trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletfromhell

To mount the card, reboot the phone, select recovery mode, plug in the phone and press enter and exit. It will boot normally and when it finish booting, the card will be mounted

Switching Back To Windows Mobile

Switching back is very easy. All you gotta do is download your favorite WinMO rom, and rename RUU_Signed.nbh to KAISimg.nbh and place it on your SD card along with KAISDIAG.NBH.

Place the SD into your Kaiser and hold the Power button and camera button down, then take your stylus and hit the reset button. Follow the instructions on the screen to flash your Kaiser. When the flashing is done you should be back to running Windows Mobile.

Old Method To Edit NBH

To hex edit the NBH, open the .nbh file with iHex and scroll down till you see this.

It's numbered so look on the left side until you see 1350. Then look on the right for these phrases. They'll look like run on sentences, that's normal.

hw3d.version=1 <== 1 for Eclair and 0 for Donut based Android builds
board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=2 <== Follow the table bellow for keyboard layout.

board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=0 normal
board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=1 AT&T tilt
board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=2 Nordic (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish)
board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=3 azerty (French)
board-kaiser-keypad.atttilt=4 qwertz (German)

board-htckaiser.panel_type=1 <== Change this to 1,2, or 3. If your screen looks messed up, then change it to another value. I think for most Kaiser users it's 2. If you're not sure why you're doing this, then follow this link for an explanation from zenity.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dukenukemx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dukenukemx Ad-Free

12th May 2010, 08:41 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 3,576

Donate to Me
More
Nice Guide I will use this when i recieve me kaiser as a test phone thanks to techjeep
The Following User Says Thank You to incubus26jc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift incubus26jc Ad-Free
12th May 2010, 09:05 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jersey

More
Nice, you're getting a Kaiser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dukenukemx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dukenukemx Ad-Free
14th May 2010, 01:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Reversing
This is great. Thanks! Could you also post a guide for switching back to windows mobile from Android?
14th May 2010, 02:19 PM |#5  
Flag St. Louis, MO, USA
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I can't seem to get past step 5. I'm holding down Power and Camera at the same time and then briefly pressing the reset button. All it does it goes to the bootloader screen and then resets. Any suggestions? Its probably something simple...
The Following User Says Thank You to kletiz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kletiz Ad-Free
14th May 2010, 04:21 PM |#6  
Flag Paros
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletiz

I can't seem to get past step 5. I'm holding down Power and Camera at the same time and then briefly pressing the reset button. All it does it goes to the bootloader screen and then resets. Any suggestions? Its probably something simple...

Don't press reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to jt131 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jt131 Ad-Free
14th May 2010, 04:54 PM |#7  
Flag Scotland
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletiz

Make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32, and that the NBH file is named KAISimg.nbh, and that it is on SD root, not in a folder.

If you are experienced at flashing Winmo using KaiserCustomRuu,exe through activesync, then you can do the same with the KAISimg.nbh, just rename it to RUU_Signed.nbh and copy it to a folder on the pc along with Kaisercustomruu.exe, flash as you would with winmo.
The Following User Says Thank You to zenity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zenity Ad-Free
15th May 2010, 11:38 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jersey

More
I added zenity's suggestion, as well as a way to revert back to Windows Mobile. Also, if holding the power + camera and then tapping the reset button doesn't work, it could be based on your HardSPL, though I'm not sure. A lot of people use HardSPL 3.34, since it's recommended for most Windows Mobile roms. With most guides, when you first install HardSPL onto your Kaiser it'll be HardSPL 2.29, and I think you don't use the camera button. So it'll be hold power + tap reset button. Again, I'm not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dukenukemx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dukenukemx Ad-Free
15th May 2010, 03:18 PM |#9  
Flag Scotland
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
As far as the 'power+camera+reset' is concerned, I still use the 'pull battery, reinsert, press power+camera' routine that was the only way to reflash in the earlier days of android nand flashing, and has never failed me yet, ( apart from a period of flash fails due to an sd card problem ). Both should work, however more options are always good
The Following User Says Thank You to zenity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zenity Ad-Free
16th May 2010, 01:09 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
#5 Place the SD into your Kaiser and hold the Power button and camera button down, then take your stylus and hit the reset button.

When should you do that, after how many seconds? I'm trying it but it works maybe after 20-30 times.
The Following User Says Thank You to robuser007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robuser007 Ad-Free
16th May 2010, 02:31 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jersey

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robuser007

#5 Place the SD into your Kaiser and hold the Power button and camera button down, then take your stylus and hit the reset button.

When should you do that, after how many seconds? I'm trying it but it works maybe after 20-30 times.

Technically, you can do it at any point the phone is running. If you're confused, you can just hold the power + camera button when the phone is off. You continue holding it until you see the multicolored bars appear on your screen.

Btw, you never hold the reset button, just press it once, if you choose to do it when the phone is on.

Do me a favor and please tell me what HardSPL you're using?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)