FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Holy crap. Change wifi sleep policy to never. BIG INCREASE IN BATTERY

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By lance713, Member on 12th May 2010, 10:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm not sure if anyone else knows this, but I read somewhere that if you change the wifi sleep policy to never, it actually SAVES battery.

I thought this was insane, but if you think about it it actually makes sense. It stops your phone from the constant switch to Edge and 3G... which in return saves your battery.

Usually I can lose up to 5% in 30 minutes by not even using my phone.

Now that I have a constant wifi connection I have only lost 2% in an hour and a half.

diversificationied
12th May 2010, 10:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Assuming you're connected to a wifi network, yes.

Otherwise, no.
12th May 2010, 10:53 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCopernicus

Assuming you're connected to a wifi network, yes.

Otherwise, no.

I'm not sure how that works when you're not connected to a network and the phone goes into sleep...

I use Y5 which uses cell towers to remember where I am able to receive wifi. If I leave a remembered spot it will turn off the radio for me. When I come back it will automatically turn it back on and reconnect.
12th May 2010, 10:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 443

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance713

I'm not sure if anyone else knows this, but I read somewhere that if you change the wifi sleep policy to never, it actually SAVES battery.

I thought this was insane, but if you think about it it actually makes sense. It stops your phone from the constant switch to Edge and 3G... which in return saves your battery.

Usually I can lose up to 5% in 30 minutes by not even using my phone.

Now that I have a constant wifi connection I have only lost 2% in an hour and a half.

Hmmmm

Wouldn't the phone continue to have it's cellular Edge/3g connection going while you have the WiFi on?

Whenever I have WiFi on in addition to 3g I always see, under battery usage, wifi at about 2-3% and Cellular signal at 5-6%

Seem's like when you have WiFi on as well as Data that both are draining the battery...
diversificationied
12th May 2010, 11:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
The phone turns off 3g radio when you have a data connection.
12th May 2010, 11:21 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCopernicus

The phone turns off 3g radio when you have a data connection.

Are you sure about that? I'm connected to WiFi on my phone and the Status screen under About Phone still stays UMTS rather than EDGE.
13th May 2010, 12:16 AM |#7  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 427

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnPoBoy

Are you sure about that? I'm connected to WiFi on my phone and the Status screen under About Phone still stays UMTS rather than EDGE.

UMTS is just the 3g network, that doesnt mean data. the 3G network is used for voice calls too.

so yes, when the phone is connected to wifi, the cellular data connection is terminated. always been like this.

and yes i've seen a huge battery increase with wifi set to NEVER sleep policy.
13th May 2010, 05:19 AM |#8  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 4

More
It will stop hop between 2G/3G even if you're not using the data. You'd have to force it to 2G only and then enable wifi to take advantage of this the most.
13th May 2010, 08:05 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 970

More
I second those findings. When at home, use no sleep policy, and going out - turn off wifi manually. Works very well.
13th May 2010, 08:18 AM |#10  
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 113

More
My "always on while sleep" doesn't work.. it opt's out anyway..

Edit: Installed an app called Wifi Fixer. And my connection hold up now while sleeping. nice....!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sindroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sindroid Ad-Free
13th May 2010, 01:14 PM |#11  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Where do I find this sleep-setting?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)