FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Swype for the EVO? Now with an IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE!

3,573 posts
Thanks Meter: 178

By TheBiles, Senior Member on 23rd May 2010, 02:12 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Does anyone have a working .apk for Swype? I've heard that the Incredible version does not work, and I'd like to have a compatible version ready when I get my EVO this week.

IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE:

1. Go to settings, and select Applications.

2. Check the box to "allow installation of non-Market applications."

3. NOTE: Some of these may be expired. Make sure you check the thread for newer downloads! Download the latest beta version here. If that doesn't work, you can download this older version using the web browser of your choice (NOTE: Dolphin Browser HD seems to have some problems downloading .apks, so try the stock browser before posting about an error), or download it to your PC and transfer it to your SD card. Or can download any of the Nexus One/Droid Incredible custom versions found here.

4. Navigate to the previously downloaded file using a file explorer like EStrong File Explorer or ASTRO click it.

5. Click "Install" to install.

6. Go back to the settings menu and click "Language & Keyboard."

7. Check the box next to Swype. Accept the prompt that pops up.

8. Open up any text field (text message, quick search, address bar, etc), and long press on the field.

9. Select "Input Method" from the pop-up.

10. Select "Swype" from the choices.

11. Start Swyping! Here is a video of the basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSSOl4f9RA

QUICK SWYPE FAQ
:
Q: How do I add a word to the dictionary?
A: Tap the word out like a normal keyboard, then either a) just hit space, or b) press the Swype key.

Q: How do I remove a word from the dictionary?
A: Select and highlight ONLY the word that you wish to remove and press the Swype key. Follow the prompt to remove the word.

Q: How do I easily move the cursor location like the arrows on the HTC keyboard?
A: Drag your finger from the Swype key to the SYM key right next to it to get the interface with arrows to pop up.

23rd May 2010, 04:49 PM |#2  
Flag TX
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I too am curious about this...I can't live without it!
24th May 2010, 01:48 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 136

More
got this one to use with a incredible but never try. when i get the evo i would try
Attached Files
File Type: apk com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 15620 views)
24th May 2010, 10:38 AM |#4  
Flag Westfield
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles

Does anyone have a working .apk for Swype? I've heard that the Incredible version does not work, and I'd like to have a compatible version ready when I get my EVO this week.

How are you lucky enough to get it this week?
24th May 2010, 12:02 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajftl

got this one to use with a incredible but never try. when i get the evo i would try

Thanks. I will try that out on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzebian

How are you lucky enough to get it this week?

I bought it from a Google I/O attendee.
24th May 2010, 08:43 PM |#6  
Flag Linden, NJ
Thanks Meter: 289

More
Just tested the linked version of swype. Working great on this evo.
24th May 2010, 09:14 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism

Thats funny - I installed it on my EVO and it displayed but it swyped jibberish when I tried to use it. Kinda like the overlay on the display was not synced with the screen properly.
24th May 2010, 09:42 PM |#8  
San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Just downloaded the N1/Incredible version, and it works fine for me!
25th May 2010, 01:33 AM |#9  
Flag NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:

so your saying that the linked version that was posted a few posts up works perfectly on your HTC EVO?? no probs what so ever?? you just installed it and it worked as in it didn't ask you if you'd agree it to record your key strokes like i've heard?? Just curious b/c I love the swype keyboard and want to use it!!
25th May 2010, 02:52 AM |#10  
Flag Linden, NJ
Thanks Meter: 289

More
I only tried a few sentences with it, but it worked fine. A coworker played with it for a little longer, and while he had a hard time using it, it was his first time trying Swype. Filing it under user error rather than program error.

Used the apk from post #3, from ajftl.
25th May 2010, 03:37 AM |#11  
Flag NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Wink
Quote:

I only tried a few sentences with it, but it worked fine. A coworker played with it for a little longer, and while he had a hard time using it, it was his first time trying Swype. Filing it under user error rather than program error.

Used the apk from post #3, from ajftl.

That's AWESOME news!!! Thanks for writing back!!! Yea I can see how people who dont know how to use it can dislike it or have a hard time....but honestly I think its very easy to use and simple..no?? LOL... It's the best on screen keyboard I've ever used hands down and look forward to continue using it on my android htc evo once I get it!!!

So you just installed that file from post #3 and then it was there under the kb selection when you go to write and email/sms and thats it?? easy to install??
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread