DO NOT USE A RUU FROM SPRINT IF U WANNA MAINTAIN ROOT. WAIT FOR ME OR SOMEONE HERE TO MAKE A ROOT UPDATE.ZIP.
Major thanx for those who helped:
keishou (for the rooted build. without it none of this would be possible)
maejrep (for testing and modding a recovery for the EVO)
Flipz (for hosting the files)
Paul (for his recovery work on the desire and legend)
Amon_RA (for his recovery source on github)
WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD WILL DO:
- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
- Allow you to flash custom roms
- Boot into a custom recovery
- Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery
WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD SADLY WONT ENABLE YOU TO DO:
- Write to system or recovery while in android
- Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
download files below:
INSTUCTIONS FOR ROOTING:
- Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard
adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
- Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE bootloader screen.
- After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 - 60 seconds to finish)
- It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
- When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN... SAY YES
- At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
- YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
- rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:
adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip
- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop
- In a shell:
adb reboot recovery
For Windows XP ~~> Run recovery-windows.bat For Vista and Windows 7 do it as Admin
For Linux ~~> ./recovery-linux.sh
- to flash a custom rom put the rom on the root of your sdcard. wipe data, dalvic cache and chose the option to flash update.zip from sdcard.
Volume up/down moves through the list and Power selects.
git clone git://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery.git git checkout supersonic
HOW TO RETURN BACK TO STOCK BUILD:
-Easy peasy- run the RUU in the first post of this thread. this is the only RUU that after flashing, you will still be able to root using this method. link below:
ROOT SAFE STOCK RUU