How To: Hack the HTC EVO
A Guide On Accessing 3G Networks Without EVDO Coverage From Sprint
As of Android Froyo 2.2 the stock EPST app no longer contains ##PRL# functionality. In order to fix this, download THIS apk file and use Root Explorer to copy the DL over the EPST in /system/app/ (must be mounted as R/W. Long click the file->Permissions->check all. Then single click the new EPST.apk and install it.
Step 1: Obtain your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock). This can be achieved by calling *2 on the the default android phone application. A Sprint Support Assistant will answer your call - kindly request that they provide you with the Master Subsidy Lock for your phone. If, for whatever reason, the support personnel is unable to complete your request, follow this tutorial by techwerkz to obtain the MSL.
Step 2: Navigate to this tutorial on your EVO phone's default web browser and download the following PRL file: Techknowfile's 00001 epic PRL
- If you weren't prompted to download the file and instead see a white web page filled with text jargon on it, press the menu button on your phone and click "save page" as 00001.prl
- Alternatively, you may download the zipped version of my PRL file: Techknowfile's zipped 00001 epic PRL
- If dialing ##775# doesn't reveal the password prompt, please ensure that the EPST.apk file listed at the top of this tutorial has been properly installed.
If you get a 3g connection from this but it keeps dropping, try turning OFF data roaming. Thanks |Jason8|
How to undo the hack
If for whatever reason you wish to reverse this change, all you have to do is update the PRL through your EVO.
FAQ removed to make the post seem less daunting... maybe more people will read it all.
The following will change when the hack is applied:
- Dialing *2 after implementing the hack will connect you to VERIZONS activation/customer service line.
- Ping (Latency) increase
- Every time you make a phone call the phone will beep twice at the start of the ringing.
Quick Access Links (PLEASE read the entire post before asking questions) EPST 2.1 for FroYo Hashkeys [6/16]*techknowfiles* 00001 PRL :: DOWNLOAD [6/16] ZIPPED *techknowfiles*00001 PRL :: DOWNLOAD alternative PRL *techknowfiles* 01337 PRL :: DOWNLOAD alternative PRL *techknowfiles* 31337 PRL :: DOWNLOAD