FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[HOW-TO] Get your Milestone back to stock

175 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

Post Reply Email Thread
Imagine you have to send your Milestone to the customer service, would be better if it was "clean" or you want to downgrade it ? Here is how to :

- 0 : What you need : A Windows (sorry ^^), RSDLite and the drivers 32bits or 64bits

- 1 : Choose the right .sbf from here

- 2 : Plug the USB and shut your Milestone down

- 3 : Boot it in bootloader mode (press the D-PAD UP key while pressing the power button)

- 4 : Launch RSD Lite, your device should be in the list

- 5 : Select your .sbf file and click on start ans let it do, your phone will reboot at the end

Here we are, you have your clean Milestone !
Attached Files
File Type: zip RSDLite_4.5.7.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.08 MB, 11624 views)
File Type: zip USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.5.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.96 MB, 26872 views)
File Type: zip USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.5.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.91 MB, 9395 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Axiol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Axiol Ad-Free

7th June 2010, 09:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
This completely un-roots it and everything, right?
7th June 2010, 10:43 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622

This completely un-roots it and everything, right?

Yes, this wipes everything you have in your phone, including root and/or vulnerable recoveries etc...obviously it doesn't format your MicroSD
9th June 2010, 11:40 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
how do i know which SBF file to use if my country isn't listed there? (I'm from South Africa) Thanks
9th June 2010, 10:00 PM |#5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingeth

how do i know which SBF file to use if my country isn't listed there? (I'm from South Africa) Thanks

Hi dingeth:
1) Are you rooted yet?
2) Where'd you buy the phone from?
3) Are you on the original ROM you bought it with?
4) What do you see under settings > about phone > Firmware configuration version?

There's a chance your phone is actually running the same firmware as another country's. For example if you bought it from Expansys it's probably a UK milestone. In any case, if I read Wikipedia right, UMTS 2100 is the only frequency used in all of Africa. So your phone might be like the Euro/most-of-Asia 900/2100 version, but it could also be like the CDN/Thai/LatAm 850/1900/2100 version. You won't lose 3G from flashing the wrong one because they all have 2100, but you'd be best to stick to the closest one you can.

Now - if your phone is still in total stock condition, unrooted, then you have the opportunity to make a nandroid backup of the original state. Go to the root instructions using OpenRecovery. When you get to the stage where you're in the OpenRecovery menu, before you go and root the phone, make a full backup. Make two in fact - one with data, one without. And copy it somewhere safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmstlist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmstlist Ad-Free
10th June 2010, 12:49 AM |#6  

More
Does this also reset a custom rom??

lg
10th June 2010, 02:17 AM |#7  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief14

Does this also reset a custom rom??

lg

Name your favourite custom ROM for the Milestone and we can answer your question.

(tumbleweed)

Oh right, there are no custom ROMs... only highly customized images that are still piled on top of the stock ROM.
10th June 2010, 03:46 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

Hi dingeth:
1) Are you rooted yet?
2) Where'd you buy the phone from?
3) Are you on the original ROM you bought it with?
4) What do you see under settings > about phone > Firmware configuration version?

There's a chance your phone is actually running the same firmware as another country's. For example if you bought it from Expansys it's probably a UK milestone. In any case, if I read Wikipedia right, UMTS 2100 is the only frequency used in all of Africa. So your phone might be like the Euro/most-of-Asia 900/2100 version, but it could also be like the CDN/Thai/LatAm 850/1900/2100 version. You won't lose 3G from flashing the wrong one because they all have 2100, but you'd be best to stick to the closest one you can.

Now - if your phone is still in total stock condition, unrooted, then you have the opportunity to make a nandroid backup of the original state. Go to the root instructions using OpenRecovery. When you get to the stage where you're in the OpenRecovery menu, before you go and root the phone, make a full backup. Make two in fact - one with data, one without. And copy it somewhere safe.

Hi cmstlist

yes I am rooted. I used the rooting procedure desribed using aumkar's method with the vulnerable recovery and RSD Lite.

I received the phone on contract (MTN) and the firmware configuration version says:
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P012 and Build SHOLS_U2_02.31.0

I was thinking of trying the U.K SBF for 2.1 coz it also has the same build number?

too late for the nandroid backup since it's already rooted. everything works fine though, rooted it to overclock which works 100%!!! Nut i'm wondering if i'll run into any problems when i eventually try to upgrade to Froyo. thanks again :)
10th June 2010, 06:01 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Hi cmstlist

yes I am rooted. I used the rooting procedure desribed using aumkar's method with the vulnerable recovery and RSD Lite.

I received the phone on contract (MTN) and the firmware configuration version says:
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P012 and Build SHOLS_U2_02.31.0

I was thinking of trying the U.K SBF for 2.1 coz it also has the same build number?

too late for the nandroid backup since it's already rooted. everything works fine though, rooted it to overclock which works 100%!!! Nut i'm wondering if i'll run into any problems when i eventually try to upgrade to Froyo. thanks again :)

Interesting! MTN must have released it so recently that nobody has located the SBF. EMEA means Europe, Middle East, Asia... so it's probably UMTS 900/2100. Don't forget to take a nandroid backup now before trying anything - because you may have no way to get back to your original carrier's firmware.

Also if anyone else on your carrier buys a Milestone and is looking to root, suggest that they make the backup before rooting. Then there will be a master copy.

EDIT: That string is mentioned in this post:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-...oot-guide.html
and the following file name is posted to match:
SHOLS_U2_02.31.0_UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B805C.0R_PDS003_USASHLS00RTINT_P012_A011_HWp2a_Service1FF.sbf.gz

The SBF in question is not listed yet on and-developers but it's on Motorola's site:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...vice1FF.sbf.gz
And the non-service version (full wipe when you flash it) is here:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...p2a_1FF.sbf.gz

Good luck!
11th June 2010, 10:26 AM |#10  

More
ok so i made the nandroid backup :)

last question: should i use the service or the non-service .sbf?

what are the differences, and which one do you recommend?

thanks
11th June 2010, 07:42 PM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 5,341

More
Quote:

ok so i made the nandroid backup :)

last question: should i use the service or the non-service .sbf?

what are the differences, and which one do you recommend?

thanks

As far as I know, the only difference is that the service SPF doesn't do a wipe.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)