FORUMS

DO NOT DO!! DEPRECATED!! Loading a custom recovery on the Incredible

1,584 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,928

Thread Closed Email Thread
consider this thread deprecated, will keep the original post here for historic sake, and maybe it will help someone down the road
there are way easier ways to do this now
please do not try any of this
if you do decide to do anything on this thread, it is at your own risk
you have been warned

Code:
get:
http://www.droidaftermarket.com/koush//test/inc.zip
http://www.droidaftermarket.com/koush//test/keys

1. Boot to recovery with adb    (if u dont know how...learn)
2. Run the unrEVOked method to get an adb shell, then do su to get #   (if u dont know how...learn)
3. push the inc.zip to /sdcard/update.zip
4. push the keys file to /sdcard/keys
5. Do:

/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock3 /system
/system/bin/rm /res/keys
/system/bin/cat /sdcard/keys > /res/keys
/system/bin/ps recovery                             // note the pid of it
/system/bin/kill <pid>

6. Vol+ and Power to get menu again
7. Vol - then power to run the update.zip
8. Profit!

Big thanks to the unrEVOked team and koush for making this happen!

This method does not stick, it is only good until reboot, but adb works now so have fun

Some problems with accessing /data and some other stuf, but well get it sorted out
11th June 2010, 02:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
i have rooted my phone and was able to get the adb shell working originally; however it seems that now when i get back into adb shell in recovery i am not able to run adb shell to get su....any thoughts? I just continue to get -exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

my apologies for being such a n00b...i got it!
11th June 2010, 03:00 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
WOW
Worked like a charm

Video Tut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPFee7IIfM
11th June 2010, 04:27 PM |#4  
Flag some where between C++ and Java
Thanks Meter: 648

More
Question test key
the test key download is just a bunch of #s do i copy it and put that in a file then push? it doesnt download for me it just opens a window with keys
11th June 2010, 05:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-dub25

the test key download is just a bunch of #s do i copy it and put that in a file then push? it doesnt download for me it just opens a window with keys

right click on the link and hit save as, remove the .txt extension once it downloads. Look at my video which i have a link for one post above if you need help.
11th June 2010, 06:15 PM |#6  
Flag some where between C++ and Java
Thanks Meter: 648

More
Thumbs up thanks
thanks i`ve been doing three things at once lol got conf. i had to make a program for my finiles c++ programming fun and linux adm. finile too thanks thou
11th June 2010, 08:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlax

i have rooted my phone and was able to get the adb shell working originally; however it seems that now when i get back into adb shell in recovery i am not able to run adb shell to get su....any thoughts? I just continue to get -exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

my apologies for being such a n00b...i got it!

You need to go through the rooting process again, since we can't flash recovery yet, for anyone that was wondering. At least up until the point where you inject the payload.
15th June 2010, 05:32 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 814

Donate to Me
More
Has anyone managed to use the nanadroid backup option with this recovery? It seems to backup ok and I can see the backup on my sd card, but if you try and restore, it says:

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
MD5 mismatch!
This even happens when doing an advanced restore and choosing the file. Here is what is in the Recovery.log file.

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
md5sum: nandroid.md5: No such file or directory
MD5 mismatch!
Then it just quits. Can you fix it please?
15th June 2010, 06:36 PM |#9  
Flag Southington
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I can get adb to work just about everytime
I can even get recovery to update but still it wont stick no matter what I try. So needless to say anytime I want to try anything I must do the entire procedure over again

There has to be a better way or is this all caused but the nand protection many talk about. Sorry im kindof of newbie to this sort of problem.

All other phones I have rooted for friends usually take once you get it to work. Mytouch 3g fender, a bunch of Moto droids and one N1 so far, and of course my DI

I hope someone figures this out soon then we may start seeing some ROMS, I cant wait for a vanilla rom that I can dress up the way I want and not have all the bloat from SenceUI. Ony thing i'd like to keep would have been htc's weather widget and maybe freindstrean. If I can use it with Sweeter home preview 2. Im so happy with this last release of SH2 its rock solid on my incredible like its been on the moto droid the last 2 or 3 releases for me.
16th June 2010, 07:15 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihtfp69

Has anyone managed to use the nanadroid backup option with this recovery? It seems to backup ok and I can see the backup on my sd card, but if you try and restore, it says:

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
MD5 mismatch!
This even happens when doing an advanced restore and choosing the file. Here is what is in the Recovery.log file.

Code:
Checking MD5 sums...
md5sum: nandroid.md5: No such file or directory
MD5 mismatch!
Then it just quits. Can you fix it please?

Thats basically the hurdle everyone is trying to jump right now. getting a valid nand backup that works, once that is done, custom recovery and roms will be flowing. Im also working on some messing around to try to help out, but on the same hand being careful not to brick since theres no way to restore at this time.
17th June 2010, 12:15 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Has anyone heard how progress of making sp recovery stick going? Thanks.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread