FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] Permanently replacing your recovery with ClockworkMod Recovery Image

917 posts
Thanks Meter: 894

By Koush, Retired Recognized Developer on 14th June 2010, 04:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since the Evo just got NAND protection removed, I figured I'd share the persistent version of ClockworkMod recovery

Currently ROM Manager is using a recovery hot replace to give you a custom recovery. But I'll eventually be packaging this into ROM Manager's flashing process like the other phones it supports. I'll wait a week or so to switch, while everyone switches over to the new root.

For those that want to make ClockworkMod their default recovery on recovery boot, use this image:

These step assume you have already unlocked your NAND using the "Part 2" thread in the forums.

http://www.droidaftermarket.com/kous...supersonic.img
http://www.droidaftermarket.com/kous...es/flash_image

Place these files on the root of your SD card.

Then run this from a root Android shell.

cd /data/local
cat /sdcard/flash_image > flash_image
chmod 755 flash_image
./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-supersonic.img

Done!

14th June 2010, 04:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
For insurance stuff, will we need to flash stock recovery img to get rid of everything?
14th June 2010, 04:41 PM |#3  
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178

More
<3

Will we be able to update this with ROM Manager?
14th June 2010, 04:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,619

Donate to Me
More
Re: Permanently replacing your recovery with ClockworkMod Recovery Image
You are a God!

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App
14th June 2010, 04:47 PM |#5  
OP Retired Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles

<3

Will we be able to update this with ROM Manager?

Yes, in a week, when everyone has done their NAND unlock, ROM Manager will start flashing and replacing your recovery for you, so you don't need to do this manually. I do not want to switch right now, because that will leave people who haven't unlocked out in the cold.
14th June 2010, 04:51 PM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 13,044

Donate to Me
More
Does this mean that for right now if we make this the real recovery that when we choose "Reboot to Recovery" in ROM Manager that it will not work until ROM Manager is updated?
14th June 2010, 04:55 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC6800

Does this mean that for right now if we make this the real recovery that when we choose "Reboot to Recovery" in ROM Manager that it will not work until ROM Manager is updated?

No, that will still work.

This is just an option for people that want to boot into recovery via the power key combination. Or those that don't want to apply the update.zip on the root of their SD card to switch to ClockworkMod. It's just a convenience/safety net people wanting to replace their recovery now.
14th June 2010, 04:57 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,329

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC6800

no, it means when you choose reboot to recovery in any application, ROM manager, quickboot or thru adb it will reboot to the phone's recovery partition but instead of loading the stock recovery, it will load this custom recovery!
this is basically a permanent or "sticky" recovery where as before we had to load the custom recovery every time as a temporary or "non-sticky" recovery. the days of temporary or non sticky recoveries are OVER ... at least until the next update from HTC/Sprint!
14th June 2010, 05:19 PM |#9  
Flag TX
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Koush, I m still a completely rookie on root part, EVO4G is my first androind phone, and 0 experience on root. Besides, i haven't done anything about rooting evo4g yet (still kinda struggle here, worrying to brick such a$$kicking phone, anyway). So please forgive if my question sounds ridiculous and stupid.

lets say if i decide do root like next months, so i should follow the 1st part root my phone by "PC36IMG.zip", then what's next step? should I use adb shell complete flash recovery, and 2nd part to remove NAND protection, at last run ROM Manager flash recovery permanently? or I can just directly use ROM Manager after root'd phone, like the instruction "[TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! No ADB, no fuss!" by theBiles, to flash recovery permanently?
14th June 2010, 05:33 PM |#10  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koush

No, that will still work.

This is just an option for people that want to boot into recovery via the power key combination. Or those that don't want to apply the update.zip on the root of their SD card to switch to ClockworkMod. It's just a convenience/safety net people wanting to replace their recovery now.

This doesn't seem to be the case on my phone. After going through Toast's NAND unlock process (replacing his recovery image with yours in the last step, only change) I boot back up and try to "reboot into recovery" from ROM Manager. It takes me to a screen with an android and a white triangle with a ! in the middle.

From that point I have to take out the battery to turn off the phone, afaik. For the record, at that point I turned on the phone while holding down vol down and got into the stock hboot screen where it checks for PC36IMG.zip. It didn't find anything because I have moved the files, so I selected recovery, and it booted right into ClockworkMOd Recovery v1.8.2.0
14th June 2010, 05:37 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinnaeus

This doesn't seem to be the case on my phone. After going through Toast's NAND unlock process (replacing his recovery image with yours in the last step, only change) I boot back up and try to "reboot into recovery" from ROM Manager. It takes me to a screen with an android and a white triangle with a ! in the middle.

From that point I have to take out the battery to turn off the phone, afaik. For the record, at that point I turned on the phone while holding down vol down and got into the stock hboot screen where it checks for PC36IMG.zip. It didn't find anything because I have moved the files, so I selected recovery, and it booted right into ClockworkMOd Recovery v1.8.2.0

Hrm, let me double check on mine
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)