FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Aps2sd questions

159 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By mwest316, Senior Member on 17th June 2010, 01:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, after owning alot more android aps than I should, I feel it is neccessary to go with aps2sd

I do have questions though..

1.Where do I find a howto? When I say a howto, I mean a decent walkthru from the start of the partitioning process in amonrecovery to running all the way to setting it up on your phones rom.

2.Do I need a different card other than what came with my Eris? I have read alot that this card causes roms to lag?

3.Once this is setup, how does transitions work when you switch to other roms?

Thanks in advance guys

by the way, I am currently using Buuf rom which is bases off of Fresh2.1.2 if anyone is wondering.

17th June 2010, 06:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
1. there's a couple of guides here... but it's really easy to setup in amon.
- first, copy all your data from SD to your PC (i.e., backup your data)
- boot into recovery
- scroll down to "Partition sdcard" - press trackball to confirm
- for "swap-size" scroll down on trackball to choose "0" (this may be were you hear "lag" from... our internal Eris memory is quicker than your SD for swap)
- for "ext2-size" choose how much space you want for your apps... i choose 768mb (but this is quite alot... for most 512 is plenty)
- "fat32-size" will be the remainder of space on your sdcard - press trackball to confirm your settings and start partitioning.

- once done... you go back to the "Partition sdcard" menu and choose "SD: ext2 to ext3" - press trackball to confirm

after this, your card is ready to go... you can copy your data back.

as for "setting up" on roms... to be honest, in my experience, it varies. some roms work GREAT w/apps2sd... others take a lot of "playing" to get working. both cyanogen based roms here worked great with apps2sd... and it was as easy as going to Settings > Applications and checking the apps2sd box. reboot, install apps, done!

2. i'd say most apps will run just fine from the stock sd card. i didn't notice any lag when using mine (though i upgraded to a class 4 16gb card that i got on the cheap from ebay). again, if your swap was on the stock sd, it may cause lag (and i wouldn't run the swap on sd unless i had a class 6 sdcard, personally)

3. again, this will vary from rom to rom. when i switch between the cyanogen roms, my apps setup/restore just fine
18th June 2010, 01:12 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,039

More
There is a detailed explanation of a2sd by one of the devs himself over in the General Board (where this thread should be):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=703747
9th March 2011, 06:03 PM |#4  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzomonk

1. there's a couple of guides here... but it's really easy to setup in amon.
- first, copy all your data from SD to your PC (i.e., backup your data)
- boot into recovery
- scroll down to "Partition sdcard" - press trackball to confirm
- for "swap-size" scroll down on trackball to choose "0" (this may be were you hear "lag" from... our internal Eris memory is quicker than your SD for swap)
- for "ext2-size" choose how much space you want for your apps... i choose 768mb (but this is quite alot... for most 512 is plenty)
- "fat32-size" will be the remainder of space on your sdcard - press trackball to confirm your settings and start partitioning.

- once done... you go back to the "Partition sdcard" menu and choose "SD: ext2 to ext3" - press trackball to confirm

after this, your card is ready to go... you can copy your data back.

as for "setting up" on roms... to be honest, in my experience, it varies. some roms work GREAT w/apps2sd... others take a lot of "playing" to get working. both cyanogen based roms here worked great with apps2sd... and it was as easy as going to Settings > Applications and checking the apps2sd box. reboot, install apps, done!

2. i'd say most apps will run just fine from the stock sd card. i didn't notice any lag when using mine (though i upgraded to a class 4 16gb card that i got on the cheap from ebay). again, if your swap was on the stock sd, it may cause lag (and i wouldn't run the swap on sd unless i had a class 6 sdcard, personally)

3. again, this will vary from rom to rom. when i switch between the cyanogen roms, my apps setup/restore just fine

hey i just followed ur steps but when the phone rebooted all i get is blank sd-card or unsupported file system any ideas, please help
9th March 2011, 10:51 PM |#5  
Port Saint Lucie
Thanks Meter: 254

Donate to Me
More
You may have completely wiped your sd card. Hopefully you did a back up on your computer.

Question for the others: if a rom doesn't have apps2sd, I downloaded one before and put some of my apps and widget apps on there, but when I do a long press on my screen to pick a widget its no longer there. is this how apps2sd work?
especially for the Eris since it only has 159MB.
10th March 2011, 09:08 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny quest

You may have completely wiped your sd card. Hopefully you did a back up on your computer.

Question for the others: if a rom doesn't have apps2sd, I downloaded one before and put some of my apps and widget apps on there, but when I do a long press on my screen to pick a widget its no longer there. is this how apps2sd work?

Widgets from sd aren't supported. You have to keep them on internal memory.

Sent from my ERIS using XDA App
10th March 2011, 02:59 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 4,747

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by playpolo4life

Widgets from sd aren't supported. You have to keep them on internal memory.

Sent from my ERIS using XDA App

Note that even for old school Apps2SD that there's an app (if not on Market, at least on XDA somewhere) called Link2SD that finally allows you to use old Apps2SD selectively, so you can keep some of your apps in internal memory like the ones with widgets and others needing faster access, and individually tell other apps to be on the SD card. Haven't tried it myself but it appears to be quite real.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)