FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Having Evo Issues? Sprint will exchange!!

86 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By talentedtenth, Member on 22nd June 2010, 08:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This may have been discussed before but I just wanted to inform you guys on my experience.

So I purchased my EVO 6/16 and I absolutely loved it!! At first glance it was everything I expected an more. I looked a little closer at the device and I noticed quite a bit of things

1) Screen was not properly seated
2) Battery life was somewhat suspect (even with NO task manager and NO syncing)
3) a bit jittery when swiping from one screen to another (compared to that of replacement and my Nexus One)
4) Random buttons seemed to have been activated when pressing the power button (mostly the camera button)
5) Screen responsiveness was a bit off

So the above issues were just a few I noticed from my OLD EVO. Now this may be somewhat of an "Placebo Effect" of getting a new Evo. The phone they gave me today feels a bit different. Both phones has the Build (003) I jotted down all of the numbers I could and nothing seems different as far as build is concerned, however we all know quality control in different batches can vary from time to time but not by much (or at least shouldn't)

REVIEW OF EVO I RECEIVED 6/22 FROM SPRINT:

I went to the Sprint store on Monday 6/21, to exchange my OLD Evo because I was a lil disappointed with the above issues they inspected the device and said you are right the screen is not seated correctly. Of course the screen responsiveness worked perfectly for the rep lol. The manager came out and said he'd put me on the waiting list and I'd receive a new one as soon as they came in. I got a call less then 24-hrs later stating they had some in. So of course I jumped for joy dropped my son off at daycare and went to the sprint store to grab another Evo. It took about an hr because of the amount of people up there. I handed over my old Evo and got a new Evo. I asked to hold both in my hand because I read somewhere were a sprint rep tried to act like he exchanged a phone and changed all the stickers inside to make it seem like it was a new phone. So after I looked carefully at the numbers I had written down I held both in my hand and compared the screens. Rubbing my fingers on both screens on the left hand corner and side. As to no ones surprise what do you think happened!! DUH, the damn screen was coming up and the manager says, "WHAT THE HELL". So of course I get the new Evo and I get a brand new charger and kept my old one for my troubles per Manager.

So while keeping the above issues in mind, the new devices is showing absolutely NO light leakage and when I say NONE I mean NONE! No left corner. NO leakage above the 4 soft buttons, no nothing! Phone seems very responsive to every touch where you barely have to tap the button and it'll activate. This may be caused by the screen being properly seated unlike the previous one I had. Battery is still suspect however that is something I am willing to live with because I know what the phone can do and what it takes to perform those task. If anyone has any additional questions please PM me or ask here.

I know this is pretty lengthy but I really need to start giving back to XDA because, indirectly, you guys have done so much for me.

22nd June 2010, 09:09 PM |#2  
Flag Tulsa, ok
Thanks Meter: 53

More
There all different
I called the Sprint store where I bought my phone, just a moment ago, and told them about how my screen is also starting to come up, you can see light around the edges of the phone, as if the screen is comming up and letting light out. not only that but even when I turn the phone off, and its real dark, I can see light underneath the soft keys, NOTHING IS TURNED ON THERE SHOULD BE NO LIGHT ON WHEN THE PHONE IS OFF!!! ya, kinda had to get that through to someone. anyway he told me to call a "repair" center, (which hes an idiot for telling me this) and that theyd have to "Diagnose it" - Or, "Look at it all bug eyed and say, HMMM.. a couple times, or Yup..." and tell me I need to replace it. Or what also might suck, is I dropped it a few days ago, from like 2 feet, didn't throw it, slam it, it was just a light drop. So there are a few chips around the edges of the phone, wounder if theyll try to tell me thats why its happening, even though it was doing this 3 days after I bought it. June 5th, so anyways I ended up calling the repair store before truckin over there, and they told me "No, you take it back to where you bought it, You dont want it repaired you want it Exchanged!

Hmmm.... Interesting, I could have sworn I told the other dude that! I know nothing Great Sprint Masta! So anyway they told me theyd have a shipment in tomorrow, and that No, I cannot get on a list nor could they "order" me one. Wounder if theyll be there tomorrow.
22nd June 2010, 10:24 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAleR

I called the Sprint store where I bought my phone, just a moment ago, and told them about how my screen is also starting to come up, you can see light around the edges of the phone, as if the screen is comming up and letting light out. not only that but even when I turn the phone off, and its real dark, I can see light underneath the soft keys, NOTHING IS TURNED ON THERE SHOULD BE NO LIGHT ON WHEN THE PHONE IS OFF!!! ya, kinda had to get that through to someone. anyway he told me to call a "repair" center, (which hes an idiot for telling me this) and that theyd have to "Diagnose it" - Or, "Look at it all bug eyed and say, HMMM.. a couple times, or Yup..." and tell me I need to replace it. Or what also might suck, is I dropped it a few days ago, from like 2 feet, didn't throw it, slam it, it was just a light drop. So there are a few chips around the edges of the phone, wounder if theyll try to tell me thats why its happening, even though it was doing this 3 days after I bought it. June 5th, so anyways I ended up calling the repair store before truckin over there, and they told me "No, you take it back to where you bought it, You dont want it repaired you want it Exchanged!

Hmmm.... Interesting, I could have sworn I told the other dude that! I know nothing Great Sprint Masta! So anyway they told me theyd have a shipment in tomorrow, and that No, I cannot get on a list nor could they "order" me one. Wounder if theyll be there tomorrow.

Wow that is very disappointing my man. I really hope it works out for you. The scratch should not be an issue. Are you a new customer or a existing customer?
22nd June 2010, 10:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAleR

Complete BS. I can tell you from experience that the Sprint employees at the stores know pretty much nothing about anything.

Call Sprint's hotline directly and explain your situation. They should be able to order one for you and have it shipped directly to your address. That's how I got my EVO in the first place. When every store was sold out and it was no longer available online, all I had to do was call in and they ordered it and sent it out next day.
22nd June 2010, 10:49 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfox8

Complete BS. I can tell you from experience that the Sprint employees at the stores know pretty much nothing about anything.

Call Sprint's hotline directly and explain your situation. They should be able to order one for you and have it shipped directly to your address. That's how I got my EVO in the first place. When every store was sold out and it was no longer available online, all I had to do was call in and they ordered it and sent it out next day.

Yeah that is certainly a step you can take. If the store is unable to assist thats just more fuel to take with you when you call Sprint and let them know how you were treated in the store. Bet you'll have a new Evo by Friday lol.
22nd June 2010, 11:23 PM |#6  
Flag Tulsa, ok

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedtenth

Wow that is very disappointing my man. I really hope it works out for you. The scratch should not be an issue. Are you a new customer or a existing customer?

I am new yes.
22nd June 2010, 11:25 PM |#7  
Flag Tulsa, ok

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfox8

I did call the hotline, I dialed *2 and talked to a fella and he told me the same, just take it up to the one that I bought it at and have them exchange it. I guess they play favorites.

Ya, I called em again, they told me all I can do is have them hold one, IF they have any, I think I'm just talkin to the wrong people about this. thanks for the input.
23rd June 2010, 01:33 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I bought mine from Radio Shack.

Do I need to deal with them to try to exchange mine, or can/should I just take it to a Sprint store directly and see if they will exchange it there?

Also, I've heard/read that HTC has pulled all the EVO's and is "fixing" the assembly line and expects to have "fixed" units available soon.

Assuming this is true (yes, I know), do you think they will replace the "defective" units after the 30 days, based on the 1 yr mfr warranty?

Or do I need to push for a replacement before July 3?
23rd June 2010, 02:29 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
?????
okay heres what im understanding so far, sprint will replace/exchange my evo if it has light leakage or/and glass separation? please correct me if im wrong, so when i go to my local sprint store i wont look like a fool
23rd June 2010, 02:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinChase

I bought mine from Radio Shack.

Do I need to deal with them to try to exchange mine, or can/should I just take it to a Sprint store directly and see if they will exchange it there?

Also, I've heard/read that HTC has pulled all the EVO's and is "fixing" the assembly line and expects to have "fixed" units available soon.

Assuming this is true (yes, I know), do you think they will replace the "defective" units after the 30 days, based on the 1 yr mfr warranty?

Or do I need to push for a replacement before July 3?

+1... Im in the same boat.
23rd June 2010, 04:24 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Sprint online order center told me that for the glass separation n light leaking I should get a replacement from sprint dot com (being the place I got my phone from) n that going to a local repair store would only mean I get a refurbished evo the rep said "if you paid for anew device n its defective you should naturally want a new replacement not a refurbished unit" so I agreed the phone is still out of stock at sprint dot com n as soon as it goes in stock I was told to call them n demand my new replacement. Further more the rep said even if I go past my 30 day limit n the device is still not in stock that I will not pl pay for anything because it was defective to begin with.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
evo, issues, problems, screen, sprint

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)