microUSB Charging Cable Only (D+ D- shorted)

Search This thread

Kermee

Sep 1, 2009
Does anyone know where I could get some microUSB charging cables with the D+ and D- data lines shorted already? (i.e. charging cable only, not for data).

Rather not take apart (Read: Destroy) my microUSB cables I use for data. I have USB wall-warts and USB cigarette lighter adapters which supports drawing 1A from the ports.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kermee

scote

Mar 30, 2007
If your like me and still have plenty of mini usb devices around, you would be best off getting a mini to micro converter off ebay, these already have the pins shorted so my wife and kids can still charge up their stuff and its quite easy to pop on/off the adapter depending on what you want to charge.

mingkee

There's an easy method to "short" the data pins.
You just need a short USB "leading" (6-12' or 15-30cm extension) cable, a piece of double-sided tape and aluminum foil.
stick the tape to the foil, then cut to the size that can cover both center pins on the jack side of USB leading cable, and plug the microUSB cable, that's it.
You can do the same trick for PSPGo stock USB cable too!

Reactions: fluidmotion

PhantomRampage

May 13, 2008
I'm interested in this too. Anyone know of any sites? or at least a microusb to microusb WITH shorted pins adapter?

PhantomRampage

May 13, 2008
Sorry for the bump but i really want to try this out, can anyone give me more specific instructions? I dont know too much about cable wiring

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Buy a USB extender cable, cut the cable in half, connect the red from the plug side to red from the socket side, connect black from the plug side to black from the socket side, leave the white and green from the plug side unconnected (tape over the ends), and twist together the white and green from the socket side. Solder, then electrical tape or heat shrink all the connections. Now plug the cable into any USB charger that provides 700-1000mA, plug your micro-usb cable into the socket end, and plug it into your phone.

Reactions: qayshp

Kermee

Sep 1, 2009
I've decided to make my own cables. Then using red heat-shrink tubing where I made the cut & modification so it would denote it's for "USB charging" only with the data-lines cut ("floating) towards the host and bridged/shorted on the device side.

I was going to make several of these so if there's enough interest, I'm willing to make several extra of these to sell for a nominal price if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Kermee

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Hong Kong
I have one of these, for charging only, which I have plugged into my work computer.

Picked it up at some store near where I live, in Hong Kong.

Had no idea it was just for charging (actually, didn't even know you could buy such cables).

I'm probably going to get rid of it though, as I would like the ability to transfer data as well.

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
Buy a USB extender cable, cut the cable in half, connect the red from the plug side to red from the socket side, connect black from the plug side to black from the socket side, leave the white and green from the plug side unconnected (tape over the ends), and twist together the white and green from the socket side. Solder, then electrical tape or heat shrink all the connections. Now plug the cable into any USB charger that provides 700-1000mA, plug your micro-usb cable into the socket end, and plug it into your phone.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting up this info (for some reason thank button isn't showing for this thread). Ordered some USB extension cables today, can't wait to try this out. I've long been plagued with not getting enough juice my USB car charger, now I know why.

Edit: BTW, what's the reason for using the USB extender cable for this, couldn't you just cut an existing USB cable in half and short the D+/D- wires? I'm guessing you cut the extender cable so that you can disconnect the intact USB cable and then it would still transmit data if you desired?

Last edited:

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Edit: BTW, what's the reason for using the USB extender cable for this, couldn't you just cut an existing USB cable in half and short the D+/D- wires? I'm guessing you cut the extender cable so that you can disconnect the intact USB cable and then it would still transmit data if you desired?

You could do that too if you like. I have a big pile of 4" extenders from USB flash drives and wifi dongles and didn't really consider cutting up a microusb cable.

jones4725

Jun 22, 2011
You could do that too if you like. I have a big pile of 4" extenders from USB flash drives and wifi dongles and didn't really consider cutting up a microusb cable.

Just to confirm that I'm understanding the shorting of the D+ / D- wires together, the short needs to be on the side of the cable which is connected to the phone, yes?

The D+ / D- wires which are on the side of the cable plugged into the car charger just need to be covered w/ electrical tape and not touching each other when connected back together, yes?

I drew out a sketch based on your outline of what's connected back to what, and that's what I came up with. The shorting of the D+ / D- wires going to the phone must be how the phone realizes that there's not a data connection to be made, so instead will just look for max power? If the D+ / D- lines weren't shorted when connected to the phone (but instead just not connected based on the cable), would the phone just assume USB and charge slower at that point?

Thanks for your help and clarification! I think I'm understanding what you're outlining.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Just to confirm that I'm understanding the shorting of the D+ / D- wires together, the short needs to be on the side of the cable which is connected to the phone, yes?

The D+ / D- wires which are on the side of the cable plugged into the car charger just need to be covered w/ electrical tape and not touching each other when connected back together, yes?

I drew out a sketch based on your outline of what's connected back to what, and that's what I came up with. The shorting of the D+ / D- wires going to the phone must be how the phone realizes that there's not a data connection to be made, so instead will just look for max power? If the D+ / D- lines weren't shorted when connected to the phone (but instead just not connected based on the cable), would the phone just assume USB and charge slower at that point?

Yes, leave the charger side (USB plug) unconnected and preferrably insulated, and the phone side (USB socket) shorted. Before a USB link is established, both a USB host and USB device will set and check for different voltages on the D+ and D- pins to determine what's at the other end. This is just an extension of that and is safe for the device.

jones4725

Jun 22, 2011
Yes, leave the charger side (USB plug) unconnected and preferrably insulated, and the phone side (USB socket) shorted. Before a USB link is established, both a USB host and USB device will set and check for different voltages on the D+ and D- pins to determine what's at the other end. This is just an extension of that and is safe for the device.

Thanks very much for confirming! I'm going to short two micro USB cables I've got for car use only.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for your help and clarification! I think I'm understanding what you're outlining.
    There's an easy method to "short" the data pins.
    You just need a short USB "leading" (6-12' or 15-30cm extension) cable, a piece of double-sided tape and aluminum foil.
    stick the tape to the foil, then cut to the size that can cover both center pins on the jack side of USB leading cable, and plug the microUSB cable, that's it.
    You can do the same trick for PSPGo stock USB cable too!
    Since I have bought my new Logitech Performance Mouse MX I use that cable to charge both, the mouse and the N1 or the one of my car adaptor.