Running out of space so quickly on your superphone is no fun.
First off: If your not technically inclined you'd do well to use a ROM with A2SD (EXT) pre-installed.
What this does:
- Moves ALL your apps to the EXT partition on your SD card
- Moves even the dalvik cache to the SD card
- Gives you the space you need to install every single live wallpaper, widget, or app you want.
- You have a rooted Froyo ROM. (without A2SD of course)
- Your SD card has a working EXT2 or EXT3 partition. See the Darktremor thread on how to create one. (check the references section below)
- You have a good recovery image installed. I use AmonRa 1.70
- You have the command line tools ADB and FASTBOOT installed, and the Nexus USB driver installed.
The steps that should get you there:
- Download and put "a2sd-2.7-update3-signed.zip" on the root of the sd card. Get the latest from the Darktremor thread.
- Download a boot.img that has the required init.rc changes needed to automatically start A2SD. Get it from here (mediafire)(Thanks Leonnib4) or here (rapidshare) or from a kang-o-rama ROM.
- Make directory /system/sd
adb remount adb shell mkdir /system/sd
- Reboot to recovery
adb reboot recovery
- (in recovery, phone) Nandroid backup.
- (OPTIONAL, in recovery) Wipe SD:EXT partition. (not the whole SD CARD, just the EXT partition). Useful if you had junk lying around from a previous ROM. Note that this will delete all the apps you had on the ext partition.
- (in recovery, phone) Flash "a2sd-2.7-update3-signed.zip"
- (in recovery, phone) Power off the phone. (not reboot)
- Start the phone in bootloader mode, with the USB cable plugged in.
While the phone is off, hold the trackball down and then press the power button.
- (in bootloader mode, desktop console). On your desktop/laptop open a shell (start->run->cmd in windows) and run the following commands.
#check if the phone is connected ok, you should see your device after running the first command fastboot devices #flash the boot image. fastboot flash boot boot.img #reboot your phone fastboot reboot
- Either as your phone starts, or after its ready, Run the following commands via adb. I ran it as soon as the phone connected to adb. (nexus loading animation)
adb remount #enable a2sd adb shell a2sd install #also move the dalvik cache to sd card. adb shell a2sd cachesd #check if all is ok adb shell a2sd check #reboot to test that the phone starts ok adb reboot
- You're all set. To check that its running do one or all of the following:
- run: adb shell a2sd check
C:\Users\me\Desktop>adb shell a2sd check Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 Update 3 [ ] Mounting /system as read-write [ ] Starting A2SD in check mode [ ] Running A2SD Check Program. [ ] Searching for Mount Point... [x] Mount point /system/sd located. [ ] Checking for ext partition /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0 [x] Ext partition is mounted. [ ] Checking A2SD links. A2SD Status Report =============================================================== Apps - [-] Linked to SD Card. [-] File .noa2sd not found. [x] Programs run from SD card To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove Private Apps - [-] Linked to SD Card. [-] File .noa2sd not found. [x] Private Programs run from SD card To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove Dalvik Cache - [-] Symbolically Linked. [-] File .dalvikcache found. [x] Dalvik runs from SD card To run from internal storage, type a2sd nocache To run from /cache partition, type a2sd cachepart Swap - [!] Partition not present. [!] Swap does not start. ZipAlign - [!] Not running at boot. Property Patch - [-] File System Ready property found. [x] Boot image init.rc patched. [ ] Setting File System Ready property to 1. [ ] Remounting /system to read-only.
C:\Users\me\Desktop>adb shell df /dev: 201636K total, 12K used, 201624K available (block size 4096) /mnt/asec: 201636K total, 0K used, 201636K available (block size 4096) /system: 148480K total, 111248K used, 37232K available (block size 4096) /data: 200960K total, 60716K used, 140244K available (block size 4096) /cache: 97280K total, 1672K used, 95608K available (block size 4096) /system/sd: 702873K total, 172189K used, 530684K available (block size 1024) /mnt/sdcard: 14898512K total, 9349176K used, 5549336K available (block size 8192) /mnt/secure/asec: 14898512K total, 9349176K used, 5549336K available (block size 8192) /mnt/asec/com.google.android.stardroid-1: 3124K total, 1504K used, 1620K available (block size 4096) /mnt/asec/com.tmsoft.whitenoise.lite-1: 7276K total, 5856K used, 1420K available (block size 4096)
C:\Users\me\Desktop>adb shell ls -l /data drwxr-x--- root log 2010-05-24 09:04 dontpanic drwx------ system system 2010-06-26 23:18 backup drwxrwx--x system system 2010-06-26 22:16 data drwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-26 18:57 a2sd drwx------ root root 2010-06-26 18:57 property drwxrwxr-x system system 2010-06-26 18:57 anr drwxrwx--x shell shell 2010-06-26 18:57 local lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-26 19:07 app -> /system/sd/app lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-26 19:07 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-26 19:07 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache drwxrwx--t system misc 2010-06-26 23:18 misc drwxrwxr-x system system 2010-06-26 23:18 system drwxr-xr-x system system 2010-06-26 18:57 tombstones drwxrwx--- root root 2010-05-24 09:04 lost+found
- I am not responsible if something goes wrong. nandroid backup and understand what you are doing!
- This will probably work on other Froyo ROMS too.
- You can install a custom kernel after installing this boot image. Just dont install a complete boot image. Boot image= ramdisk+kernel.
Thanks to Darktremor/tkirton and leonnib4.