Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[REF] HowTo Install a Custom ROM on Liquid

419 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By kidoucorp, Retired Forum Moderator on 3rd July 2010, 01:10 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
New(bie) here ?

You just have received your liquid, and would like to install a custom rom, but don't know where to begin ? This is for you.

(Note : Mostly inspired from the LCR's wiki page : http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid...idCommunityROM)

Tools Needed :

- Acer Liquid drivers : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E5PTHL3O
- Acer Flash Tool : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EF2QNANO
- SuperBoot : http://acer-liquid-community-rom-bug.../Superboot.zip

Extract all in separates folders.

1. Install an official BIN

The first thing to do, is to get the latest official 2.1 bin for Liquid. Well, it's not really official as they are leaked bin for the moment, and not yet available on the Acer's website.

Acer_LiquidE_1.100.05_EMEA_GEN1 --> European Version.
Alternatives mirrors : LCR's wiki page
Acer_LiquidE_1.100.15_AAP_FET --> Only contain English + Asiat langs.

Once your bin downloaded :

1) Unpack the drivers.

If you have a 32-Bit version of Windows, go to the folder x86, if you have a 64-Bit version, go to the x64 folder.

Then run the setup.exe and follow the instructions.

2) Unpack the Acer A1 Tool.

Important : under windows Vista / 7 : choose Windows XP compatibility mode and "run as administrator"

Run the ACER Download Tool. Click "Browse" and select the downloaded ACER_LiquidE...bin. Attach your Acer Liquid and press Start. It should start flashing the stock Éclair image.

Don't interrupt this process!! In case of communication error during flash process. You can unplug and replug usb, don't power off the phone.

You now have a standard 2.1 rom. But, even if you just want to run the stock rom without a custom rom beside, you should install a recovery software, in case of problems.

A custom recovery is program software which will help you install customs roms, root your roms, backup and restore a rom, etc... This is the start point to custom Liquid rom.

2. Install a Custom Recovery Image

1.) To do this, go here : http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez-recovery/ and download malezRecovery_0.5.3.img (or newer version if there is one off course).

2.) Put this image in your extracted Superboot folder, delete the old recovery.img in it, and rename malezRecovery_0.5.3.img to recovery.img

3.) Enable USB Debug in your phone --> Settings --> Applications --> USB Debug.

4.) Run install-recovery-windows.bat to install the recovery.

You should see something like this : sending 'recovery' (4876 KB)... OKAY writing 'recovery'... OKAY

5. After the flash, your phone should reboot.

6. To enter the recovery, use reboot-recovery.bat

To know more information about it,go to the malezRecovery project page.

3. Install a Custom ROM

1. To install a custom rom, just download the zip file, put it on your sd, then reboot on recovery (You can download QuickBoot from the market to reboot in recovery easily, but your rom have to be rooted).

2. Chosse Wipe Data (This will do a factory reset, please backup before if you need it).

3. Navigate to "flash/test menu" / "apply any .zip from SD" and push the menu key, and then choose the ROM and press menu again. Press home to start flashing

4. Wait for the installation to finish.

5. Reboot

6. You're done

7th July 2010, 05:21 PM |#2  
Flag Targu Ocna
Thanks Meter: 126

More
please help my.am. I followed all the steps to install-recovery-windows.dupa I did that, could not turn on the phone, nor can it bring en recovery mode
20th July 2010, 09:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Wink
Thanks alot
it really helped......
23rd July 2010, 02:53 PM |#4  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Thx.. it's very usefully..
28th August 2010, 12:13 PM |#5  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoucorp

1. To install a custom rom, just download the zip file, put it on your sd, then reboot on recovery (You can download QuickBoot from the market to reboot in recovery easily, but your rom have to be rooted).

Dont understand this part, the reboot to recovery.bat or reboot-recovery-windows.bat (in Superboot folder) wont let me in the recovery mode to browse for the zip file in the SD card, actually those files wont execute

There is nothing like "Wipe Data" as you said
28th August 2010, 04:14 PM |#6  
Flag Hanoi

More
Ok that's fine now, I need to move the newest img file to superboot folder instead of using the exe tool provided here

http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid...0.5.4_FULL.exe
28th August 2010, 07:40 PM |#7  
Flag Hanoi

More
OK, so from now on everytime I want to install a custom ROM, the first thing I need to do is flashing the OFFICIAL Acer Rom again and then following step 2 and 3?
29th August 2010, 10:26 AM |#8  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 31

More
No, from now you can just flash the .zip without reflashing the bin each time.

Some roms are based on a certain BIN version, so it's better to flash the bin they advise to get the rom working as it should.

If you already have the bin version advised, you don't need to flash the bin again, maybe a "Wipe data" before flashing the new zip is all needed
29th August 2010, 11:41 AM |#9  
Flag Hanoi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoucorp

No, from now you can just flash the .zip without reflashing the bin each time.

Some roms are based on a certain BIN version, so it's better to flash the bin they advise to get the rom working as it should.

If you already have the bin version advised, you don't need to flash the bin again, maybe a "Wipe data" before flashing the new zip is all needed

yes, but now I can not access the Recovery mode anymore, when I double click the reboot-recovery-windows.bat (superboot) or reboot to recovery.bat (Malez), the phone restarts with Acer logo and then a black screen, sometimes Acer logo without back-light, and I have to remove the battery to restart again
30th August 2010, 04:10 AM |#10  
Flag Sugar Land, TX
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Go to the Market and download an app called Quickboot. It allows you to reboot into Recovery without a computer.

If that does not work:
-Make sure there is no file named "update.zip" on your SD Card
-Remove and replace battery
-Hold down Power+Volume Down+Camera. Phone should vibrate 3-4 times
-Hold down Power+Camera
-Phone will reboot into Recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to HustlinDaily For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HustlinDaily Ad-Free
5th September 2010, 09:12 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have the same sort of problem. Rooted with recovery and installed a new ROM but then in reboot i get the splash page but then just a black screen. Tried a couple of ROM's but all the same result?

Just really want to get my CUS2 Donut version up to eclair....

Please help!

[update]
Ok, so i finally understand what went wrong. The acer support section wasn't that clear for me. Now just grabbed the 2.1 CUS2 bin from the liquid e section and that solved the problem! Now running eclair with Malez Recovery and ready for some custom ROM's

[update 2]
So i also found out that i can forget the CUS2 bin story. That's only when using official acer updates. With the ACER Download Tool [Single] i've now managed to install the leaked alpha version of froyo!
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread