FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB Car Chargers

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By MiloTheGreat, Junior Member on 7th July 2010, 08:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Its seems the charging standards for USB car chargers have not been ratified so there are two different types out there....

So when you buy a car charger, its a little bit of a gamble to weather it will work or not...

This one does work
Ebay item : 130398121842
(its not me selling them)

I'm hear from some source that pins 2 & 3 need to be shorted, also hearing then need a 200ohm resistor between them. If anyone can clear up the confusion, that would be a massive help.

Apart from that, lovin my Streak...

14th July 2010, 09:34 PM |#2  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The MotorMonkey doesn't work, although that's not a surprise as it only allows a current draw of 0.7A. The htc branded in-car adapter works fine though...

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
23rd July 2010, 04:51 PM |#3  

More
Desperately need a car charger. Anyone found anything that works ?

Thanks.
3rd August 2010, 04:30 PM |#4  
Harrogate
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Sorry,
duplicate post
3rd August 2010, 04:30 PM |#5  
Harrogate
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Well, in addition to the motormonkey, the Belkin universal usb car charger doesn't work, neither do any sold at Maplin. As a last resort I bought a slimline Power invertor for £15 . . . which promptly fell apart the 1st time I unplugged my charge. This is pretty ridiculous, Dell will not sell the charger unit without the mount. Has anybody found a working car charging option that doesn't cost £50?!
3rd August 2010, 07:50 PM |#6  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,585

Donate to Me
More
Had my streak for about 3 weeks now and had not tried it in the car but after reading this post i thought i would go and try the car adaptor i had purchased for the TP2 that i had
and viola it worked no problem charged it very fast i have put the link at the end i purchased it from ebay
HERE
3rd August 2010, 10:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi,

Just in case it helps anyone, take your existing 12V USB adapter apart if it's not working with the streak and solder pins 2 and 3 together (the middle two, preferably at the PCB end if it has one). Works

I have gone from non-working to working in about 5 mins flat!! I should point out mine is a 1A charger. Think it needs to be with the Streak?

HTH....

PS what an AWESOME device. Just awaiting 2.2 now (hopefully)
8th August 2010, 03:22 AM |#8  

More
Usb car charger
Hi

To anybody having issues with a USB Car Charger, I have managed to solder the 2nd and 3rd Pins in a charger purchased from Ebay, and it works perfectly.

The Item number for the charger from Ebay is # 220605256968

I have taken pictures of a small piece of wire that I used to solder the two points together, incase anybody is wondering how it can be done.

The link for the pics is as follows:
h t t p ://picasaweb.google.co.uk/tallatkhan/USBCHARGER

(delete the spaces between the http above)

Hope this helps!

Tallat Khan
18th August 2010, 09:40 PM |#9  

More
Tis true you can get any plug and just solder middle pins together, I tried about ten of em none worked, blob of solder job done..
20th August 2010, 12:56 AM |#10  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 398

More
I just opened up my USB console I installed on my Harley and soldered pins 2&3 together and now it charges

I already have a bunch of AC powered USB ports and car USB adapters... A bit of surgery there and I'll be set.
21st August 2010, 01:49 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Just did it on a Scosche plug. It has two adapters. I dropped a bit of solder on the circuit board for the middle pins on one plug. That plug now works and the second doesn't.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car charger

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)