FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] Reverse engineering HTC FM Radio for noobs (on EVO 4G)

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By midnjerry, Junior Member on 15th July 2010, 04:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th July 2010, 12:12 PM |#11  
San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks this is great. I almost got it 100% working. But there's one problem. I'm debugging some other apk. And I can't set any breakpoints because, since the apktool made fake java files, all the code is comments, so there's no place to set any breakpoints since there's no real executable code!

Help how to get around this?

At the beginning of a class I tried to add something like... int a=0; while keeping the same amount of lines... just before comment start...

Code:
package com.example.app; class MainActivity {
    int a = 0; /*
.class public Lcom/example/app/MainActivity;
.super Landroid/app/Activity;
.source "MainActivity.java"
and put a breakpoint there, but it still says its not an executable location.

Any ideas? This is cool and I'm so close with your great tutorial. Thanks!

30th July 2010, 01:02 PM |#12  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 353

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikjdfkrjhr

Thanks this is great. I almost got it 100% working. But there's one problem. I'm debugging some other apk. And I can't set any breakpoints because, since the apktool made fake java files, all the code is comments, so there's no place to set any breakpoints since there's no real executable code!

http://code.google.com/p/android-apk...SmaliDebugging

Quote:

I tried to use Eclipse, but seems it forbids to add breakpoint on unknown (commented out) line :-/ I workarounded this and added breakpoint, then I was able to debug normally, but you should treat apktool debuging as unworkable on Eclipse - at least until someone will find some solution.

And actually midnjerry said this to you just few posts above.
31st July 2010, 02:06 AM |#13  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomagik

Will this get FM Radio working on any android phone with that broadcom chip?

Unfortunately not.

Refer to IntersectRaven's posts regarding enabling the FM Tuner for the Nexus One. He needed to create drivers for a custom Linux kernel to be used with a Desire ROM.

Smali debugging is important, however, because it allows developers to learn the code that implements the "undocumented" hardware for their phone (in this case, HTC phones with a working FM Radio app).
The Following User Says Thank You to midnjerry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midnjerry Ad-Free
31st July 2010, 05:24 AM |#14  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikjdfkrjhr

Help how to get around this?

At the beginning of a class I tried to add something like... int a=0; while keeping the same amount of lines... just before comment start...

Code:
package com.example.app; class MainActivity {
    int a = 0; /*
.class public Lcom/example/app/MainActivity;
.super Landroid/app/Activity;
.source "MainActivity.java"
and put a breakpoint there, but it still says its not an executable location.

Any ideas? This is cool and I'm so close with your great tutorial. Thanks!

if you're using NetBeans, just keep trying to insert breakpoints at every "invoke" type statement.
2nd August 2010, 01:10 AM |#15  

More
A really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. A topic like this should have its own Forum like ‘Android Engineering Tutorial’. We need more tutorials like this one!
7th August 2010, 03:41 AM |#16  
OP Junior Member

More
Bluetooth Driver Files released by HTC!
Just went to

http://developer.htc.com/

Bluetooth driver files released! We should be able to better control the radio now.
13th August 2010, 04:11 AM |#17  

More
Any progress? I'll donate to the first person who gets an app to broadcast my music to my radio.

Sent from my HTC EVO using XDA App
13th August 2010, 10:47 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 267

More
@midnjerry,

sorry if this is way off topic, but it does deal with the fundamental aspects that you have established here.

Can I use this method to reverse engineer the Google Voice app, so that I can have the same program installed twice for my two different Google voice accounts?

I just want to name the application something else, so that I can install it twice with two different sign in names.
13th August 2010, 11:16 PM |#19  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 353

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reekotubbs

@midnjerry,

sorry if this is way off topic, but it does deal with the fundamental aspects that you have established here.

Can I use this method to reverse engineer the Google Voice app, so that I can have the same program installed twice for my two different Google voice accounts?

I just want to name the application something else, so that I can install it twice with two different sign in names.

Yeah, I think you can do that. Just change package name of an app to something else.
13th August 2010, 11:23 PM |#20  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut.all

Yeah, I think you can do that. Just change package name of an app to something else.

@Brut.all

Can I do that in Eclipse or do I need to use need to use Smali Debugging? Just asking because I am not looking to debug the program only install it twice.
14th August 2010, 12:31 AM |#21  

More
@brut.all

Will this work on a .apk that is downloaded (not installed on a device), if so do you have directions on how to use.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apk multi-tool

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)