Because the lack of good tutorials i decided to write my own! (for n00bs)
This method will keep all your data and settings! this means the phone will not be factory resetted.
You won't need the Android SDK tools to go in recovery mode! or use Odin3
Reported to work on all firmwares!* (even simlocked devices and phones with voodoo fix etc) but use at your own risk! (it is pretty safe and foolproof!)
If you wan't to unroot (to avoid waranty problems) you can unroot your phone!
* This method is not working for Froyo 2.2 roms but if you do wan't to root JPH 2.2 click here! (Respect for Chainfire!)
* For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a small script to boot in to recovery. See tutorial below
!!! Disclaimer: If you brick your phone it's your own problem! But it is fairly safe because you can still reflash your phone with Odin3
Only root your phone if you feel the need to! (like applying the lagfix or for use with certain backup apps)
- Superuser 188.8.131.52
- Busybox 1.16.0 (for use with Titanium Backup)
This method works for phones with and without the 3 button combo!
Rooting works on the following models:
1. Download SGS Eclair Easy Rooting.zip
2. Unzip the directory somewhere
3. Open start.bat
4. Follow instructions
- 2.1 update.zip (For - I9000, I9000M, I9000B, I9000T, SGH-T959, I5800, I5801)
- UnRoot update.zip (this will remove your root completely and doesn't leave a trace!)
2. Put update.zip to root of /sdcard (not /sdcard/sd) (not on the physical SD card but the Internal SD card/Phone Memory)
3. Turn off phone
4. Hold down volume up + home button + power (tip: release the power button for half a second when you see the samsung logo)
Note: If you don't have the 3 button combo use the tutorial below (steps 4a - 4g).
5. Phone will reboot into recovery mode
6. Wait until you see the Recovery Screen and then release the buttons
7. With the volume down key go to the option: "apply: /sdcard/update.zip"
8. Press the home button
9. Phone will start updating
10. Phone reboots... and there you go! your phone is (un)rooted!
For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a script and a quick tutorial for doing it with ADB
ADB reboot recovery:
4a) Download the easy reboot recovery.zip script and unzip it somewhere
4b) In your phone's settings make sure USB Debugging is on (in settings -> applications -> development)
4c) Connect phone with USB cable to pc
4d) Wait until all the drivers are installed
4e) Start reboot recovery.bat
4f) The phone will now start in recovery
4g) Follow step 7 of the normal tutorial
- If this does not work make sure USB debuging is enabled, kies is totally closed, the phone is connected and all the drivers are installed
Lot's of people are asking about busybox. busybox is included in the update.zip. But it's not the latest version! See how you can get the correct version.
To update manually to the latest version:
1. Search market for: "Busybox or "Busy box"
2. Install busybox app
3. Update trough app
4. Press update in app
5. Accept Superuser request
6. Busybox is now updated and installed in system/xbin!
If you want to use Titanium Backup (it is recomended to use the busybox that comes with titanium backup)
1. Install Titanium Backup
2. Open Titanium Backup
3. Press the "Problems?" button
4. Press "Yes, do it"
5. Titanium Backup will now download and install the required busybox version
If you want to use a lagfix!
- Both the OneClickLagFix and CFLagFix 1.80 automatically push the correct BusyBox version to your phone
- Help i get a status 7 error message!
This is because of your CSC! flash another CSC and you can root your phone! how? use the search button!
- I can't root because it the update.zip fails to apply in recovery mode and i have android 2.1:
This is because you are using a open CSC or a branded phone. So in order to fix this you need to reflash your firmware with the standard CSC and not a localized one.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787163 Check this thread to change your CSC!
Reported CSC's that have rootprotection (if you have a root protected csc please report it):
Reported working CSC's (report if yours is working)
Right now i can't do much about it since i have no rootprotected phone to make a workaround.... so small request lend or sponsor me a root protected phone :P
- If you are having problems please post your phones firmware and csc version (you can check it by typing *#1234#)
24-08-10: Superuser 2.3.4! (update the su binary through the app!)
27-08-10: Added easy reboot recovery script throug ADB for people that don't have the 3 button combo!
29-08-10: Included correct su binary
02-09-10: Added FAQ
09-09-10: Updated Superuser to 184.108.40.206
14-09-10: Added UnRoot update.zip! This will remove the ROOT completely and doesn't leave a trace! (same steps to unroot as to root just use different update.zip) (please delete update.zip after usage)
14-09-10: Updated Busybox to 1.16.0 for use with Titanium Backup
19-09-10: Added automated method! Very easy and usable for every n00b
19-09-10: Added topic to the Vibrant section with automated method!
20-09-10: Added support for I5801