FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SIM Unlock MyTouch (Use of foreign sim cards)

6,474 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,671

By Binary100100, Retired Forum Moderator on 19th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I logged in today and was surprised to see these three new threads about this already well known topic. So I'm going to try to put an end to this by merging all of the "Help me unlock my MyTouch" topics into this one thread and stickie it so that I can just move future posts directly to the trash. So be warned, any future posts regarding SIM unlocking WILL be removed!
The very first rule of the XDA-Developers forum is to search before posting.
So I figure that if this is stickied then there really isn't any excuse whatsoever.

While I'm doing all of this I want to clearify something for all of those that are interested in unlocking their MyTouch.

Currently (as of July 2010) there is no solution for unlocking your MyTouch without first acquiring the Subsidy key for your device.
There are no hardware hacks, software installations or anything like that.
You really only have four options.
  1. Contact your carrier and request it. Most carriers have minimum requirements to be met before requesting. Check with your carrier for additional information.
  2. Use of third party services (go ahead post your success in this thread).
  3. Use of an overlay card. (I have not personally verified this method)
  4. Purchase the device already unlocked.

If you have a successful result then post it in this thread and I'll update this post accordingly.

Please note that myself, other members or the XDA-Developers do not take responsiblity for failed efforts, damage to your device, money wasted or anything else that might make you upset.

Any new posts regarding anything already discussed in this topic will be subject to deletion without warning!

19th July 2010, 12:58 AM |#2  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Detroit, Mi

More
As stated above, I merged three three new topics and moved them to this thread.

Quote:

I have tried several service and got a code that did not work. (another gave me another set and still didnt work). All had to go the the htc master database to get the code
The phone works on t-mobile but i want to use it in all countries.
And way to unlock the phone?

Quote:

My Phone locked by T-Mobile
Whats the way to unlock network ??
thanx

Quote:

Hi All,
I had used the search and found out that all the questions regrading Tmobile HTC mytouch sim unlock were refferd to pay-sites.

Is this true? did non of the forum members das an answer?
and if so, What is the most reliable site for this ?
I got a TMobile htc Mytouch 3g and I can not use it.
(I noticed that other members had said that all TMobile's MyTouch are sim free, well mine is not).

Please help.

AdrianK
19th July 2010, 01:05 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You could use something like a TurboSIM. It's a small film-like device that goes between the SIM card and the reader in your phone, forcing your phone to accept it. I don't know if all/any work on android/sapphire so you'd need to get a second opinion before ordering.

The only HTC Sapphires that come unlocked are the 'Google ION'/ADP2 devices, so yes you'll need to buy an unlock code. If you've been with tmo for more than 3 months phone them and say you're going out of the country, they should give you the code. If you're looking for a reputable company for unlock codes, go on eBay, that way you know the testimonials and feedback is real.
19th July 2010, 12:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I've used SIM unlock services from ebay. Cost about $10 and was fairly painless. Had to try a few different sellers since the others couldn't find the code. HTC master key had to be used in order to get the code for mine, that's why they charged $10 instead of the usual $2-3.

Even at $10, I found it to be a lot cheaper and effective than other website prices.
19th July 2010, 02:44 PM |#5  
Flag Detroit, Mi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdame

I've used SIM unlock services from ebay. Cost about $10 and was fairly painless. Had to try a few different sellers since the others couldn't find the code. HTC master key had to be used in order to get the code for mine, that's why they charged $10 instead of the usual $2-3.

Even at $10, I found it to be a lot cheaper and effective than other website prices.

Thanks for the info!
22nd July 2010, 09:23 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
i use a overlay card like x-sim and its cheap and effective
23rd July 2010, 05:15 AM |#7  
Flag Detroit, Mi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizard80

i use a overlay card like x-sim and its cheap and effective

Thanks for that input. Please also include any additional information if you have it available such as:
  • Product name
  • Company name
  • Website
  • Cost
  • Device compatibility
  • and any other information that you might find helpful for the rest of the community.
23rd July 2010, 08:40 AM |#8  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
just the thread i was looking for!
does 3g work if its unlocked? im thinking of giving the phone to my gf because i dont think its worth it to sell.

also, i just canceled my tmo service and its expiring at the end of this month. had tmo for almost a year. do you think theyll give me the subsidy key? and last question, is the subsidy key the imei or is that the real unlock code for it?

thanks
24th July 2010, 02:45 AM |#9  
Flag Detroit, Mi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manooti

just the thread i was looking for!
does 3g work if its unlocked? im thinking of giving the phone to my gf because i dont think its worth it to sell.

also, i just canceled my tmo service and its expiring at the end of this month. had tmo for almost a year. do you think theyll give me the subsidy key? and last question, is the subsidy key the imei or is that the real unlock code for it?

thanks

3G will probably not work for another carrier if that's what you're asking.
If you are no longer a T-Mo subscriber then they will probably not give you the key.
You submit the imei to the unlock service (carrier or whoever) and they use that to look up your devices specific unlock key. Takes anywhere from a few minutes to a few days to get it though.
24th July 2010, 07:50 AM |#10  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
thanks for the info. sucks that i cant get the code from tmo. i should of gotten it before i told them to cancel my service. ill probably just use this phone for backup or something. i dont feel like i want to part with my first android device lol
24th July 2010, 11:05 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
root / upgrade locks me back?
I have an HTC Magic from Rogers Canada that I got unlocked as soon as I bought it. I need it unlocked since I am living over 5000 miles away from Canada. Everything is all well and nice now, working on the local carrier 3g and all.
I have been considering rooting the phone or maybe installing an unofficial ROM for a while now, but I never ended up doing it for fear my phone might get locked back to Rogers, rendering it useless for me.
What are the risks of this actually happening? Is the phone unlock a permanent operation, or are there any.types of upgrade or root that could bring the lock back?
Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
carrier code, carrier unlock, sim unlock, subsidy, subsidy code, subsidy unlock, unlock, unlock code

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)