Not Enough Space in Music Database?

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By gsportz156, Member on 19th July 2010, 05:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th August 2010, 05:34 PM |#11  

More
It appears it is related to the number of artists.

I reproduced the problem, then went into my various artists folder and removed albums one by one until the problem went away. I then added the album back in that made the difference between it working and not. I then removed a song at a time until the problem went away again. I then added a song from another artist back in and it once again failed.

So it appears there is a cap on the number of artists.

I'll continue working on this and report back the exact number of artists that causes the issue.
18th August 2010, 07:42 PM |#12  

More
OK, well I thought was the number of artists, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe it has something to do with how the app handles various artists and/or unknown artists.

I added all my music, then deleted tracks from various artist albums until it worked again. I then put back the various artist album track and it didn't work, as expected.

I thought this was artist based, but when I got it working again--by deleting the track mentioned above--and then added a track for a various artist album by an artist that already existed, the app crashed too.

I then thought it might be song based. So I removed that song and then added a set of songs. However, it unexpectantly worked.

The difference with the set of songs added above is that they weren't part of a various artist album. They were a new artist, but the main album artist wasn't Various with a Contributing artist of the actual artist name. Instead, the Album Artist was the artist name and the contributing artist was left blank (or had the same name).

So, it is that the music app doesn't understand how to handle various artist albums?

Could someone else with this problem remove all the various artist albums from their collection and see if their app works again?
21st August 2010, 04:16 PM |#13  
Maine
Thanks Meter: 42

More
DLarva: Thanks, your post was very helpful.

I read elsewhere that when the player has a hard time with VA tracks, it does not recognize them as separate albums or something. Does it allow you to have some tracks by "Various Artists", but then begin to fail after reaching a certain number?

This is good that you found that was the key, because it is easy to work around!
25th August 2010, 03:40 PM |#14  

More
On my vibrant I can only have 3 songs from a various artists album. It doesn't matter what the other tags are--like contributing artist--as long as the album artist is Various.

I'm guessing others will have a different number. This is because when I was experimenting I once had it working with several more various artist songs, but that was when I was missing a handful of my standard albums.

So it seems that various artist songs cause the issue, but that the number your vibrant will handle varies by the amount of artists or standard songs you have on your system--or some other unknown factor.

Any chance something like this will get fixed?
26th August 2010, 04:07 PM |#15  

More
Anyone out there also dealing with this issue and can tell me how many Various Artist tracks they can get on their phone before it crashes when sorted by artist?

I'd like to try and narrow this down a bit further before calling Samsung tech support.
27th August 2010, 02:47 AM |#16  

More
Found a co-worker with a Vibrant and confirmed that he could have a different number of various artist songs on his.

Also deleted a folder for an artist with 3 ablums and was able to add 3 albums worth of various artist songs.

So, it either is something like the number of folders or perhaps albums, or it is some complicated combination of things.
27th August 2010, 05:34 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
have this problem and it is ****ing annoying. Have to use TuneWiki instead of the stock app.
27th August 2010, 06:25 AM |#18  

More
Just when I think I have it figured out, it all goes to...

I added a new album, from an existing artist, and now without any various artist albums I'm getting the crash.

At this point I'm left with the conclusion that its the number of songs, or folders, or some combination to complicated to figure out.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
28th August 2010, 03:36 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 386

More
I know workarounds suck for something like this, but there is another one available if you don't want to stop using the TW music player, and you don't want to delete or relocate your music.
Basically, you copy all artist information to Composer in the ID3 tag, and hide the artist tab in the TW music player. All functionality will be there.
I used mp3tag, and it worked really well.
If anyone is interested...
1. Load up your music in mp3tag
2. Select all your music in the app.
3. Push Alt-5.
4. On top right, click on "New".
5. Name it anything you want.
6. Click on "New" again.
7. On the drop-down, click on "Format Value".
8. In Field, select "COMPOSER".
9. Click on the right arrow next to Format String, and select "Artist".
10. Click OK... OK.... Make sure that only your new action is checked, and click OK again.
11. Click on Save.

This doesn't rename your files or change functionality or usability at all.
Now your music is formatted so that when you show the Composer tab on your Vibrant, it will show you all artists.
28th August 2010, 08:22 AM |#20  

More
And it doesn't crash when sorted by composer with the same set of files that crashed when sorted by artist?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
28th August 2010, 10:02 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 386

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLarva

And it doesn't crash when sorted by composer with the same set of files that crashed when sorted by artist?

Not at all. I now have about 6 gigs more music than I could previously put on my SD card, and no problems. I am now only limited by the 16 gig card I have.

In fact, you can keep the artist tab shown and view by artist and watch the program crash, and then view by composer and it works fine with the exact same files.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)