Captivate random shuts down

428 posts
Thanks Meter: 33

By spyz88, Senior Member on 21st July 2010, 02:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th November 2010, 03:00 PM |#661  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just gave up and called at&t for a new phone.I bought it in sept. new off of ebay and was not sure that i had any warranty. At&t said i have a 1 yr warranty,just from the serial number and they were very kool about the random shut down.
They are sending new phone in mail( no charge)
That being said, i have had some luck with keep alive--but the phone should work with out this app!!!
20th November 2010, 04:57 PM |#662  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHairball

You have to take out the battery and then you can see the serial number and the batch number on the phone where the battery normally sits.

The batch# is a 4 digit number something like 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, etc. For what it's worth my Captivate is from batch 1009, but then so was my wife's and hers was having really bad shutdown problems while mine has only had it happen 3 times total in about a month (still more than it should of course.)

I'm hopeful that the replacement model will be a 1010... not that it guarantees the problems have been fixed.

Oh wow, am I the only person who doesn't see this 4 digit version on their phone?

I see 10.07 (not four digit).

There is a SKU, a Model, an IMEI, a FCC ID and a number that is like K43CE0168.

I don't see a four digit number with version as you guys say.

fwiw, I have now used this phone for over a week with the Odin Froyo ROM. I rooted the phone and deleted a bunch of AT&T stuff and random processed died on me after that. I noticed that it shut down ONCE after the rooting.

So I have now gone back to the stock Odin Froyo ROM and not rooted. No shutdowns in the last 3 days and I have installed about 30 apps so far and using it normally.

I will keep this thread posted. But I just can't find the version numbers you guys are talking about .
20th November 2010, 05:02 PM |#663  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiniteSM

Possible Problem:
1. There is a fundamental software problem, such as a component which monitors the battery level. Such problem may be able to be fixed with an update, or with 2.2, on the other hand it may not.

I am running the Odin Froyo version on my phone and it used to shut down on this. Agreed it is an unreleased version, hopefully the official release will fix it.
20th November 2010, 05:04 PM |#664  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Rizzo

Does anyone with the leaked 2.2 have shutdown issues ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844133

Yes. I installed the leaked 2.2 ONLY to see if the shutdown stops but it didn't. I am now running 2.2 on my replaced phone. Fingers crossed.
20th November 2010, 05:55 PM |#665  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiniteSM

If your at home and on wifi, then your not using a data connection, and theres no 2g/3g switching. You should try and see if you ever get a shutdown at home while on wifi.

In general though, it sounds to me that there are multiple issues people are trying to address.

I do not believe the 'shutdown in cold' which is easily replicated is the same as the issue most of us are talking about here. And perhaps there is an issue with 2g/3g switching, but I don't think thats the issue here either (My last phone didnt even have access to any 2g or 3g, because it wasnt activated yet, and still had shutdown problems).

I could be wrong, but I disagree. 3/2G also has to do with voice as well. I get terrible voice reception at the office on 3g, as its constantly trying to find a good signal, if I drop to 2g, my calls come in clear, and are less likely to drop.

Also, when on Wifi, txts do not transfer via that, they are still using your network data to reach your phone.

Also, I let me phone totally die last night, turned it on today, and it died immediately, so I know the battery was as close to dead as possible. I've been charging it, in ON mode, for about 2 hours. I'll unplug it, keep it on 2g, and report back when I get home.
20th November 2010, 07:14 PM |#666  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Me again
Ever since i switched to GSM only, i have yet to shutdown. I left it on all night without charging and still working since noon yesterday. This really seems to be it, but im only on edge now.

i will call monday to get a new phone, so i will keep testing this one
21st November 2010, 05:02 AM |#667  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Phone was running fine for 3 days. Today I charged it to 100% (I've done this already in the last few days) but when I unplug it's always dropped to 98-97%. I still get great battery life, but I decided to plug it back in, battery stayed at 97%, and then in about 15 minutes it told me it was full again.

Unplugged, phone began shutting down again. I really do think it has something to do with the charging/battery system.

The phone says it's fully charged, but when I unplug, it drops 2-3%. I'm using android system info to give me my percentages. Maybe the issue is, the phone is charged, but mis-reporting to whatever monitor program we're all using, as I'm sure not too many are using a stock battery meter, and even so, samsung probably didn't write the code for the stock meter itself (which never seemed to report properly from the beginning anyways)

then I plug it back in to make it 100%, and this is confusing the hole system. I can't see it being a serious hardware issue across this many revisions, locations, brandings of the phone. Remember, this isn't just happening to the captivate, but all versions of samsung galaxy S are having it. Its happened, but if it is really hardware, then this is the worst thing since the xbox 360. Or even sliced bread!

Phone dropped to 75% and immediately stopped shutting down.
21st November 2010, 11:45 AM |#668  
Flag Springfield, VA
Thanks Meter: 123

More
As I said in my earlier post, that act of "topping off" the battery definitely seems to play into this. I do get a lit of the shutdowns, but I usually do following one of those extra charges.

Last night I took the battery to the other extreme - 1% left. Charged all night. This morning, phone said it was fully charged, but reported 98%. I didn't put it back on the charger, but my impression has been that either extreme on the battery will cause a subsequent shutdown. We'll see if I get a shutdown today.
21st November 2010, 02:13 PM |#669  
Flag Springfield, VA
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswclw

As I said in my earlier post, that act of "topping off" the battery definitely seems to play into this. I do get a lit of the shutdowns, but I usually do following one of those extra charges.

Last night I took the battery to the other extreme - 1% left. Charged all night. This morning, phone said it was fully charged, but reported 98%. I didn't put it back on the charger, but my impression has been that either extreme on the battery will cause a subsequent shutdown. We'll see if I get a shutdown today.

As expected, I just had to wake it up from a shutdown. Upon reboot, it is at 93% battery. If this plays out as usual, that will be the only shutdown today.
21st November 2010, 03:23 PM |#670  
Flag Panama City Beach
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Call the warranty department and exchange your phone. That's how I solved my shutdown problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
21st November 2010, 03:44 PM |#671  

More
me too did warranty phone replacement, battery life seems a lot better too even with wifi and display sleep enabled, bluetooth with no CKA..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)