Quote:
Originally Posted by vladthedog

HEH! Sorry , I didn't even realize it was the same person! are you able to run

Code:
sudo adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server
adb devices
First line is killing the server
Second line re-starts the server as root (this is REQUIRED)
third line will tell you if all went well

I ran round and round with this initially. the server HAS to start as root. Problem is, you can start the server with NO error messages as someone other than root, and then you will think all is well.

/SOLVED - note, tried again to make sure and got "adb not recognized command" or something simlar, so i just did
Code:
sudo su
./adb kill-server
./adb start-server
than i could exit root and it worked still. had to be in the sdk/tools folder for it to work. seems i still haven't gotten ADB into the proper setting to run w/out being in the directory.

Quote:

richard@richard-laptop ~/sdk/tools $ adb devices
List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions
richard@richard-laptop ~/sdk/tools $ adb get-state
unknown
richard@richard-laptop ~/sdk/tools $ adb remount
error: insufficient permissions for device

i have USB debugging enabled.

it does this on every rom i try. currently using latest cyanogen.

not sure how to go about getting 'permission' so i can run ADB commands to my phone.

OS is Linux Mint 9, tried it as SU/ROOT also, get the same thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nrre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nrre Ad-Free

22nd July 2010, 03:08 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Try another os/computer with your phone and see if you still get the error
22nd July 2010, 03:09 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=722854

there's a thread on someone having java issues with linux mint, but there are multiple posts (prior to figuring out it was java) on other things about getting adb running in linux. look for my post (the long one) because it sounds like you just need to get the device running as root.
22nd July 2010, 06:25 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=722854

there's a thread on someone having java issues with linux mint, but there are multiple posts (prior to figuring out it was java) on other things about getting adb running in linux. look for my post (the long one) because it sounds like you just need to get the device running as root.

yeah that was my thread =P

ADB worked on this phone fine for a while than just recently started saying No Permissions. I didn't delete anything, didn't adjust anything, all I've done is flash different roms on the phone.

S'pose i'll steal the wifes laptop and load ADB onto it and give it a go later tonight.
22nd July 2010, 08:41 PM |#5  

More

Code:
sudo adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server
adb devices

I ran round and round with this initially. the server HAS to start as root. Problem is, you can start the server with NO error messages as someone other than root, and then you will think all is well.
The Following User Says Thank You to vladthedog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vladthedog Ad-Free
23rd July 2010, 03:09 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
yeah thats what i just did to see and it indeed worked, than came here to post i found it and read yours so now i feel fantastic =D

slowly still learning linux. i might switch from Mint to Ubuntu since it seems to have more made for it and more support out there for a newbie such as myself.

i should also add, i unplugged my usb wireless mouse thinking it may of interfered with it, but seeing that you posted what i tried i'll go that it wasn't it. just a note to anyone else.
23rd July 2010, 04:32 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrre

yeah thats what i just did to see and it indeed worked, than came here to post i found it and read yours so now i feel fantastic =D

slowly still learning linux. i might switch from Mint to Ubuntu since it seems to have more made for it and more support out there for a newbie such as myself.

i should also add, i unplugged my usb wireless mouse thinking it may of interfered with it, but seeing that you posted what i tried i'll go that it wasn't it. just a note to anyone else.

I'd recommend Ubuntu as well. Over the years I've goofed around with linux, but about 6 months ago I ended up taking the plunge and removing my windows partition and going full-on linux. I've found that ubuntu seems to have the most support out there for us newbies.

Now that I'm more confortable, i've installed a few different flavors of linux on my laptop, but always find myself coming back to ubuntu. again, its primarily because of the support issue when I screw something up
23rd July 2010, 11:05 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Yeah I am right now switching to Ubuntu since there is a ton more support out there. Loading up the flash drive with it right now.

Once again thanks for all the help.
9th December 2010, 02:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
vladthedog
Thanks that saved my life
25th January 2012, 12:02 AM |#10  
Flag Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Talking Works on Pardus-Linux 2011.2-CONFIRMED
Quote:

Code:
sudo adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server
adb devices

Thanks for the post...I was racking my brain trying to get ADB working on Pardus-Linux. I used to be an Ubuntu guy and recently saw the light...LOL.

Thanks for the help.
26th August 2012, 04:10 AM |#11  
Flag usa
Thanks Meter: 96

Donate to Me
More
Prompt thanks
thanks i got it WHOO hoo Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 08252012 - 07:05:02 PM.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1282945 srry i had to re-edit it for my device id