Battery overcharge ?

Search This thread

mystycs

Jul 20, 2010
What happens if I leave my battery charging over night and I don't unplug the charger once my phone pops up the message telling me to do so. Will my battery overcharge and fail? Or its out safe to leave it plugged on once charging is done?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Aphotix

Apr 5, 2008
What happens if I leave my battery charging over night and I don't unplug the charger once my phone pops up the message telling me to do so. Will my battery overcharge and fail? Or its out safe to leave it plugged on once charging is done?

Your phone will be fine, there are fail safes in place to prevent over charge (and fire/explosion). Its just a "convenient" notification to let you know the phone is done charging.

On a separate but related issue, I don't suggest leaving it charge more than 10 hours at a time, since the battery keeps topping off the charge, and in my experience this degrades batteries a bit faster.

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
Your phone will be fine, there are fail safes in place to prevent over charge (and fire/explosion). Its just a "convenient" notification to let you know the phone is done charging.

On a separate but related issue, I don't suggest leaving it charge more than 10 hours at a time, since the battery keeps topping off the charge, and in my experience this degrades batteries a bit faster.

this.

Constant topping up will shorten the battery life. Not something to be annal about but don't do it too often. It also does not mean you have to fully drain your battery before charging, nor that you have to set an alarm so you take it off charge as soon as it read full.

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Wait, so I should not charge my phone en route from work to home? About a 30 minute drive... not enough to fully charge the phone, just enough so it doesn't die before I go to bed.

I thought batteries did not have "memory" and that you could charge them however.... is there a good source to read?

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
Constant topping up will shorten battery life?
Care to back up that statement with some sources?

Heat kills Lithium based batteries.
A quick rate of charge or discharge creates heat.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

(From the article)
The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.

should be balanced with this (from the article as well)
batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem.

My recommendation is to keep the battery as full as possible at all times and do a full calibration cycle once a month. Done.

If you want the battery to last longer stretch the calibration to once every two months... However the phone will be obsolete before noticeable shortening of the battery life from doing 30 day calibrations. PLUS THE BATTERY IS REPLACEABLE ANYWAY. So, honestly, who cares?

Reactions: b13n

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago

If your battery overcharges and fails, your battery is a danger to you and everyone around you anyway; no matter what charging methods you use. A properly working lithium ion battery cannot be overcharged.

I suggest reading up on how float charging works.

Reactions: b13n

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Constant topping up will shorten battery life?
    Care to back up that statement with some sources?

Heat kills Lithium based batteries.
    A quick rate of charge or discharge creates heat.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

(From the article)
    The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.

should be balanced with this (from the article as well)
    batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem.

My recommendation is to keep the battery as full as possible at all times and do a full calibration cycle once a month. Done.

If you want the battery to last longer stretch the calibration to once every two months... However the phone will be obsolete before noticeable shortening of the battery life from doing 30 day calibrations. PLUS THE BATTERY IS REPLACEABLE ANYWAY. So, honestly, who cares?

If your battery overcharges and fails, your battery is a danger to you and everyone around you anyway; no matter what charging methods you use. A properly working lithium ion battery cannot be overcharged.

I suggest reading up on how float charging works.