FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] Wi-fi sleep for stock FRF91

87 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By mmastrac, Member on 26th July 2010, 07:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Any of us still on stock FRF91 with mac addresses not starting with 00:* are dealing with the bug where wi-fi disconnects when the phone goes to sleep:

(sorry, my account is too new to properly link the bug thread)

google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=01a47ff5b0a92d52&hl=en&start=120

This is fixed in the latest CM6 nightly builds, but I don't think it's possible to get the .ko from that build to work on stock FRF91.

I backported the fix from git (android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/system/wlan/broadcom.git;a=commitdiff;h=5a838529e6197475cbe8f5 a4557fbd31f90586a6) to the earlier version of the driver.

I've been testing this for the last 30 minutes and haven't been kicked off wi-fi once after the screen went to sleep.

How to install:
  1. Make sure you're on FRF91 and have rooted yourself
  2. adb shell and get root via 'su'
  3. Copy your old driver to /data/local: cat /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko > /data/local/bcm4329.ko.old
  4. Check that the MD5 of the unzipped .ko is 959dda656228b4191f8e97b920482ae2
  5. From your system, adb push the attached bcm4329.ko (unzip it first) to /data/local/bcm4329.ko.new
  6. adb shell and get root via 'su' again
  7. Copy the driver over top of the old one: cat /data/local/bcm4329.ko.new > /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
  8. Reboot

You'll probably screw up future OTA updates if you manually patch this, but it's easy enough to undo (just flash the stock FRF91 or replace the old driver). Also, it worked fine for me, but you'll be doing this at your own risk, etc, etc etc.

---

mmastrac, unrevoked
Attached Files
File Type: zip bcm4329.ko.zip - [Click for QR Code] (103.1 KB, 353 views)

26th July 2010, 02:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Does this work?

I'm at work without access to a usb cable and wonder if this is worth looking at later today.
26th July 2010, 02:32 PM |#3  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I like this alot too bad am too bad at the shell stuff, can't this packed and flash it from recovery ?
26th July 2010, 02:41 PM |#4  
Flag Pittsburgh

More
nevermind that, I thought it's something different than normal push pull stuff.

Can do this through Root Explorer very easy and less hectic.
26th July 2010, 02:54 PM |#5  
Flag Pittsburgh

More
This doesn't work on CM 6RC1. get a wireless error can't start wireless.
26th July 2010, 02:57 PM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 341

More
I don't have the problems that my nexus logged of the wifi network while screen is off.
But when I make a ping to nexus one everything is fine when screen is on, but it become very unresponsable with screen off and has connection time out.
Is this the patch for that problem?
26th July 2010, 04:26 PM |#7  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Can more people test this out? Some people report that the latest CM doesn't fix this issue.
26th July 2010, 05:08 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindiboy

This doesn't work on CM 6RC1. get a wireless error can't start wireless.

CM6 ships with a different kernel, so this .ko won't work for those builds. This is only for those on the stock FRF91 build who can't use the updated driver from the latest tree.

For CM6 users, it should be fixed in the latest nightlies here:

hxxp://mirror.kanged.net/cm/nightly/passion/
26th July 2010, 05:34 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formel-LMS

I don't have the problems that my nexus logged of the wifi network while screen is off.
But when I make a ping to nexus one everything is fine when screen is on, but it become very unresponsable with screen off and has connection time out.
Is this the patch for that problem?

This patch should fix this issue. The broadcom driver in stock FRF91 filters out traffic to the device when the screen is off due to a bug in the implementation that was supposed to filter out traffic to other devices instead.

I can ping my device even while the screen is off with this patch in place. You may also have to change your wi-fi sleep policy to get the best results.
26th July 2010, 05:45 PM |#10  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastrac

This patch should fix this issue. The broadcom driver in stock FRF91 filters out traffic to the device when the screen is off due to a bug in the implementation that was supposed to filter out traffic to other devices instead.

I can ping my device even while the screen is off with this patch in place. You may also have to change your wi-fi sleep policy to get the best results.

Hi man, maybe you can check out the my thread about this issue here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731395

I hear there are people with the latest nightly build still finding the problem exists. And their MAC address starts with actually 00?

How about your case? Did your phone have this problem before and its MAC address, I suppose, begins with 38?
26th July 2010, 05:48 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkmog

Hi man, maybe you can check out the my thread about this issue here:

I hear there are people with the latest nightly build still finding the problem exists. And their MAC address starts with actually 00?

How about your case? Did your phone have this problem before and its MAC address, I suppose, begins with 38?

My n1 has a 38:* MAC address, so I was seeing wifi disconnect almost as soon as the screen went off (and getting disabled in some cases).

There are other wifi issues on the n1 phones. This patch just fixes the worst one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)