FORUMS

Collin_ph Battery Tweak for Darch Froyo Roms

153 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

Post Reply Email Thread
LAST UPDATE to this thread.
RC1 of Collin_ph battery tweak has been released.
Due to several changes, etc.. I'm starting a new thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=762283

Newest!
UPDATE - Beta 10 released 08/16/2010
Sorry about 2 updates really quick-- this latest release was to address 2 bugs that cropped up.

Description: Battery tweak is a collection of settings that enable the hero to optimize battery lifetime. I get 35+ hours on my hero with the tweak installed with the normal 691mhz settings. When on battery power, the cpu is gradually lowered (configurable) as the battery drains, and when put on power, the cpu is put into high performance mode. Most settings are configurable.
Beta 6 includes an optional LED fix if your charging LED is hanging, and some optional performance tweaks to the cfs scheduler. For more information see the documentation linked below.

Simply download the tweak and flash.
Reboot and under adb shell run batt-cfg

Note: Make sure you are root first by running su if you are going to run batt-cfg through terminal.

You may change the settings at any time by running batt-cfg again and settings will take effect without rebooting.

New verison as of 08/16
http://www.primoweb.com/froyo/collin..._v3_beta10.zip

Documentation (Updated for Beta 10):
http://www.primoweb.com/froyo/battery_tweak_v3.html

This tweak will conflict with setCPU and OCWidget, so please disable them.
Can I say it again. Don't use set CPU, or OCWidget. You don't need them with this tweak. If you want to customize your CPU, simply run the customize utility in batt-cfg -- you can set your min/max clock speeds there. Thanks!

Feature list:
Customizable Battery Tweak with 2 presets
LED Fix for charging LEDs that are stuck on
Experimental CFS (completely fair scheduler) performance tweaks
Audio quality fix for froyo (disables stagefright)
Disk tweaks (mounts all mount points noatime,nodiratime)

Probably more I'm missing.

Edit:
If you want to try this tweak in another rom, your rom will need a /system/etc/init.local.rc file-- that's where the service is started.
Additionally, it won't do much good unless it's on a clockable kernel.
There are other prerequisites such as sh existing in /system/bin but generally speaking if it starts up, it should work. If your rom has no /system/etc/init.local.rc, you can add the file and "import" it (I believe), within the init.rc of the boot image, but it'll require a little work.
28th July 2010, 01:01 AM |#2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 6,791

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin_ph

Description: Battery tweak is a collection of settings that enable the hero to optimize battery lifetime. I get 35+ hours on my hero with the tweak installed with the normal 748mhz settings. When on battery power, the cpu is gradually lowered (configurable) as the battery drains, and when put on power, the cpu is put into high performance mode. Most settings are configurable.

Simply download the tweak and flash.
Reboot and under adb shell run batt-cfg

You may change the settings at any time by running batt-cfg again and settings will take effect without rebooting.

http://www.primoweb.com/froyo/collin...k_v3_beta4.zip

Documentation:
http://www.primoweb.com/froyo/battery_tweak_v3.html

Note: I don't recommend setting the "charging" minimum speed any higher than 480mhz, as it may not charge when connected by USB (not charger).
This tweak will conflict with setCPU and OCWidget, so please disable them.

is there a way to get this tweak to work on a 2.1 sense rom
28th July 2010, 01:34 AM |#3  
Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,776

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf151

is there a way to get this tweak to work on a 2.1 sense rom

It should work with any .29 kernel that's has the same structuring as toasts/darchs, so theoreticaly, it'll work with any ROM really.
28th July 2010, 02:06 AM |#4  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Can this be done if I'm using the darch overclock undervolt kernel for Fresh 2. 3. 3? The reason I'm asking is because my battery life is already good with darch's kernel but if I can flash this on top of what I'm using that would be great.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App
28th July 2010, 02:13 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerajan

Can this be done if I'm using the darch overclock undervolt kernel for Fresh 2. 3. 3? The reason I'm asking is because my battery life is already good with darch's kernel but if I can flash this on top of what I'm using that would be great.

Only way to find out, try it.
28th July 2010, 02:32 AM |#6  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Only problem is that I have no idea how to config the settings after setting this up. The instructions say to go back into the shell and configure the battery settings. Guess I will have to wait until someone who knows what they're doing tries. I don't have any skills at working within shell and wouldn't know what coding to write.
28th July 2010, 02:46 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerajan

Only problem is that I have no idea how to config the settings after setting this up. The instructions say to go back into the shell and configure the battery settings. Guess I will have to wait until someone who knows what they're doing tries. I don't have any skills at working within shell and wouldn't know what coding to write.

Go into shell and type "batt-cfg"
28th July 2010, 02:52 AM |#8  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 6,791

Donate to Me
More
i have tested on my red dawn rom and it is working. Thanks for the tweak man
28th July 2010, 03:15 AM |#9  
Flag Gamecock Country
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Thank you for this tweak. I have been using it for a few days and getting 30+ hrs. Awesome work

28th July 2010, 03:32 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I tried going into terminal emulator just to test out the batt-cfg, and it continues to tell me permission denied. Granted I haven't flashed the update yet, so maybe that's why... at least on that.

I'm a straight noob when it comes to this stuff, I can't seem to get it to work, always getting permission denied on terminal emulator.
28th July 2010, 03:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thanks! Configured mine to use the 748mhz setting.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)