FORUMS

[How To] FIX APP LAG

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By seivad17, Member on 28th July 2010, 02:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I could not find this on the Captivate Forum. I found this method on another forum referenced below. This has significantly increased the overall speed of my Captivate.

**REQUIRES ROOT**
**limits your App space to 130MB, which can possibly cause issues**
**Do NOT use with large number/size of apps**
**This should not be a permanent fix, but works until somethings else comes up**
**If you approach the size limit you will get errors and/or strange things**

Here is the original post. *READ THE THREADS!*
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=727279 (Method 1 only)
-also-
http://android.modaco.com/content/sa...oted-try-this/

Note: This method moves the app data from the SD space to the NAND space which significantly increased the speed of the phone , but PLEASE read the links and associated discussion. You are limited to 130MB app space on NAND, which can be limiting depending on which apps you use.

The following can be done using adb or using terminal emulator (available on the Market) without the adb commands

How to check how much app memory you are currently using:
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/data
busybox du -h|busybox grep M
How to apply Method 1:
Code:
adb shell
su
busybox cp -rp /data/data /dbdata
mv /data/data /data/data.bak
ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data
reboot
How to undo Method 1 (no loss):
Code:
adb shell
su
busybox cp -rp /dbdata/data /data/data.tmp
rm -r /data/data
mv /data/data.tmp /data/data
reboot
How to undo Method 1 (restore to point of application):
Code:
adb shell
su
rm /data/data
mv /data/data.bak /data/data
reboot
28th July 2010, 02:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
so are you working on the method 2? building a kernel to run app data on the ex-sd card method. this method is okay but has limitation.

for those who have alot of apps, i wouldn't bother. you phone will constantly have forceclose notification. however, if you do not have too many apps, it does make your phone smoother and faster. done the bench mark and brought it up about 100 points. not bad for a quick/temp fix.

but... still need a REAL fix. Mimocan who was the builder for the kernel for i9000 should be working on a kernel for us. Unless he is now into the new froyo bull crap. not worth my time right now. trying to run the 2.1 smoothest possible is the key for me.
28th July 2010, 03:08 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 251

More
does this method or method 2 fix the laggy issues in Dolphin HD browser and Touchdown Exchange?
28th July 2010, 05:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I don't use Dolphin, but it made a MASSIVE difference in using Touchdown.
28th July 2010, 05:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Running this currently on my Captivate flashed with the I9000 JM2 ROM w/ Captivate Kernel & SamSet 1.6 and I am getting a ~960 on quadrant. During the test you can see the I/O portion goes SIGNIFICANTLY faster. App load times also feel faster. Samset includes MCR Scripts to set this up for you.

Note: I tried to post links but since I am new to the forum I was blocked.
28th July 2010, 05:37 PM |#6  
Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 11

More
This worked wonders for Dolphin HD! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
28th July 2010, 06:23 PM |#7  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,159

Donate to Me
More
I cannot get the Android SDK to install on my computer so can't use ADB. What Terminal emulation program do you recommend and how would I connect my phone to it?
28th July 2010, 06:32 PM |#8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks

I cannot get the Android SDK to install on my computer so can't use ADB. What Terminal emulation program do you recommend and how would I connect my phone to it?

Terminal Emulator is available on the market
28th July 2010, 06:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by div3rg3nt

Running this currently on my Captivate flashed with the I9000 JM2 ROM w/ Captivate Kernel & SamSet 1.6 and I am getting a ~960 on quadrant. During the test you can see the I/O portion goes SIGNIFICANTLY faster. App load times also feel faster. Samset includes MCR Scripts to set this up for you.

Note: I tried to post links but since I am new to the forum I was blocked.

replace http with hxxp.

Do you have any downsides with flashing with the i9000 firmware? are you still limited to 130mb of app space?
28th July 2010, 07:53 PM |#10  
Flag Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Meter: 25

More
If you read the modaco post Paul states that the 130 mb will take awhile to fill because the apps themselves are not stored but the data is.

"On the plus side, we're only moving data not the apps themselves, so filling up 130MB will take a while."

So that is good news I think I am going to try it. Thanks for the guy that posted how to check how much dbdata you have.
28th July 2010, 09:53 PM |#11  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,159

Donate to Me
More
Works for me. Getting 980-1003 on Quadrant scores.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)