This guide is no longer needed, as full ROMs are now available for the EVO on MetroPCS.
-MetroDroid v1.0 By Bloodykiller86 (Ready to run)
-Jiminy v2 By deathsled(Needs Token's Metro flash V3)
I wanted to post a full working solution for MMS for the HTC EVO on MetroPCS. This is a mix of excerpts from other guides and ideas all in one place.
This method is no longer ROM specific, you can use almost any ROM!!
Others, that i missed or don't know...sorry
What this can do:
-Voice search (with v2.0.1 and up ONLY)
-Voice mail notifications
-Google apps that sync (news, weather)
-Browse the market (DL is still WiFi only)
-Working Froyo ROM
What this can't do:
-Visual Voice Mail (i think you need to sign up for it from metro, @ $3 mo)
-DL from market with 1X Metro service
-Grant wishes, even if one wish is for a iPhone4
-Working EVO ROM
-Ava-FroyoV2RC3 ROM (thread link below)LINK with wifi fix(still fastest way to get it working)
-metropcs_eris_web_mms_v3.zip (thread link below)
-Cdma-Workshop (Any Build...google it )
-Qpst v2.7 build 323 LINK PASS=cdma-king.com
-Htc Hero DIAG Drivers LINK
-Htc Sync LINK
-ClockWorkMod/Rom Manager (Free Market DL)
-Autostart (Free market DL)
-Titanium Backup (Free market DL) Optional!
You will need someone to add your ESN to Metros inventory... search Ebay, craigslist, or local stores...NOT corporate stores!
Android market ONLY works on wifi with this setup on a 1X metroPCS network. BUT, you can download apps from SlideME.org WITHOUT wifi... they have a market type app you can download on their website.
BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA FIRST!!!!!!
1. Press ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone You will see a screen Pop Up Thats Normal
2. Now plug The phone up to the computer and it will try and find the drivers but it will fail or ask you to locate the drivers manually so make sure you remember where you unzipped the files
3. Once you have that setup Go to Cdma-Workshop Go To the port the phone is on and Read From the Phone and go to the Security Tab.....and On the Spc Section Read The lock Code and write it to back to the phone so it says unlocked Then make the code 000000 and rewrite the code so it says sucess.
4. Now Close Cdma-Workshop and Open QPST Configuration Click On The Ports Tab and Add New Port ( Make Sure Show Serial and Usb/QC Diag Ports Only is Unchecked) and Add The Port Of Your Hero.
5.Highlight Your Port and Click Start Client and Start Service programming and Press Read From Phone The SPC should be all 0's so click on the M.I.P. Tab and Change The Mobile IP Behavior To Simple Ip. Edit The M.I.P. Profiles at the Top. Your NAI and Tethered NAI should be (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6. Next Click On The PPP Config Tab and Click the UM Button your user id should be (email@example.com) and the password and tethered NAI should be metropcs. Do the Same For the AN Button and press Write to Phone It should Give You a Error But Dont Worry About It
7. Press ##DATA# (##3282#) And Setup your Data for your phone and press menu and Commit So your phone Will Reboot
Download Rom Manager from the Market.
Download Autostart Root from the market
Put the "metropcs_eris_web_mms_v3.zip" on the root of your sdcard.
Open Rom Manager and select "Install ROM from sdcard".
It will give you a list of items on your sdcard.. select "metropcs_eris_web_mms_v3.zip"
DO NOT SELECT WIPE DATA, but you may select backup ROM if you want. You are not installing a ROM, just some patch files.
No need for anycut proxy setup with token419's flash install....
Quote form Token419's thread on what his flash does:
1. Rooted Rom that supports IPTABLES and has been flashed and booted once
2. Download the file for your carrier from below
3. Flash the file you dowloaded for your carrier from your recovery console (i.e. Amon Ra, Clockwork etc.)
4. Download and install "Autostart (root)" from blank-online.eu in the Marketplace
5. After the phone reboots choose "Always Allow" to the SU prompt
6. Reboot (some froyo roms take 2 reboots)
What this flash doesYou don't need to do any of this, it is just outlining what the flash file does)
1. Remove any instances of:
2. Push and set appropriate Permissions on:
/system/bin/u2nl (the program that makes routing traffic through the proxy possible)
/system/xbin/sqlite3 (some roms include this, but the permissions may not be set correctly)
/data/eri.xml (used to change the Carrier Display name on the lock screen and notification bar)
/data/opt/autostart.sh (used set the iptables and u2nl settings at boot)
3. Drop database tables and replace them with appropriate Carrier Settings in:
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db (the database that the MMS program looks at for carrier settings)
4. Updates to proper MNC and Carrier name in build.prop
Using the Mms.apk from the incredible, you will be able to send MMS.
Download the Mms.apk from below.
Using adb push you will need to replace the Mms.apk that on the phone with this one.
Start a command prompt:
>adb remount >adb push c:\Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk >adb reboot
Once the phone has restarted, open the messaging app. Try to send a MMS (use a buddy or your email). It should send.
Now for the bugs:
-Once a SMS/MMS has sent, you cant view the conversation threads or read new SMS or MMS.... just says loading forever.
-You cant send MMS with wifi on, just turn it off to send. (looking into fixing that)
Once you have sent a MMS and you can confirm it working. Download Handcent from the market. You will be able to view SMS and MMS threads with handcent. But you can ONLY send MMS with the OEM messaing app. If you send with the handcent, it will send a SMIL.XML file with the image, and the person getting it will most likely not be able to view it.
-Send MMS with messaging app
-View SMS/MMS with handcent
-Send SMS with handcent
I know this sux, but it does work!! Hopfully after MetroPCS starts the android plan, we wont have any problems.
Anyone having problems with voice mail notifications, here is the fix.
Using adb push you need to push the VVM.apk from below to the system/app folder on the phone. And remove the Sprint_VVM.apk app.
Start a command prompt:
>adb remount >adb push c:\VVM.apk /system/app/VVM.apk >adb shell rm /system/app/Sprint_VVM.apk >adb reboot
I have confirmed this method working with these ROMs:
-Fresh EVO (all)
Now you should have working MMS, WEB and google apps (market still WiFi DL only)
This guide is what i used to get mine working....mileage may vary....