FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

Captivate Teardown! (Step by Step, LOTS OF PICTURES)

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By iLoki, Member on 30th July 2010, 05:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
***Disclaimer***
DO NOT attempt to disassemble your phone unless you can handle the possibility of breaking your phone, both financially and emotionally. Also keep in mind that this WILL void your warranty.

First thing's first! Remove your battery cover, battery, sim card, and sd card.

There are six screws on the back of the cover that we need to remove. Two of them are a little tricky to get to. What you need to do, is GENTLY pull up in the center of the battery latch, and then pull out, it should slide out relatively easily. The final two screws should now be reachable.

Screw locations:

The final two screws:

Remove all six screws and keep them somewhere safe. Every last screw in this phone is identical, so no worries about getting them mixed up.

Start with the bottom end of the phone first, and begin to pry the screen out from the edges. The bezel and back cover of the phone are all one piece around the screen. The bottom edge should come off with out too much trouble:

Here comes the hardest part of this entire process, releasing the last clip at the top from the rest of the phone:

With a plastic tool or very small flathead screw driver, VERY carefully lift one side of the case as shown in the picture above, slide the driver head in and gently pry up. The last clip should come free without too much force.

As you can see, it is a very beefy clip.

Everything with a red arrow needs to come off of the mainboard to enable removal.

Once those are all disconnected, you should have something like this:

There's a couple more things to do before we can pull that mainboard off.
First, we need to unlatch the ribbon cable from the speaker. Flip the back clamp on the connector up to enable release of the cable, like so:

NOTE: There may be a piece of blue tape over the connector and cable. Carefully remove it before performing this step.

There's one last screw to take care of:

Once that is out, you can pull the right side of the board up, and the left should follow pretty easily, just be careful of your cables and be absolutely sure everything is disconnected before you pull that board off.

Here is the front side of the board with all of the shielding removed. This basically entails taking the micro sd and sim card board off. When doing this, be sure to disconnect the cable that runs from the top board to the underside of the main board.

Apparently I somehow missed getting better pictures of the underside.. >.<

Here's the backside of the screen assembly. This is applied with an adhesive, so please, for the sake of your phone, do not attempt to remove this unless you are a professional and know exactly what you're doing and how.

I am not one such person, so I made no attempt at removing anything else.

For those wondering about the bluetooth chipset and whether it is in fact the same chipset in the Galaxy S (meaning we would have FM support) I am sorry to say I could not find the bluetooth chipset. The Broadcom chip on the frontside of the main board is the BCM4751 which is only a GPS receiver.

i.e. there may still be hope for the FM receiver.

That completes the step by step teardown of the Samsung Captivate. Thanks for reading
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to iLoki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iLoki Ad-Free

30th July 2010, 06:02 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great job on the teardown. I was under the impression that the Captivate has fm radio built in. I guess i was getting that feature mixed up with the HTC Aria

-Robin
30th July 2010, 06:12 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Finally! This is great, thanks much for doing the teardown. If you haven't reassembled yet, would it be possible to get a couple more high-res pics of both sides of the main board so we can read chip numbers?
30th July 2010, 07:13 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Unfortunately I don't have an area where I can get a real even lighting so that I can get good pictures of those numbers, all 3 of the larger chips on the back are all Samsungs. If I pull it apart again, I will try to get better pictures of each of the chips.

the one to the left in the photo reads KLMAG8DEDD A101
The one with the white sticker on it is the hummingbird chipset.

The smaller chip in between, however is not a samsung chip.

Almost everything on the top side are TriQuint chips. Theres one square, covered with a black/blue tape. Then theres 3 rectangular chips along side it, 2 sideways and one vertical. Most likely the wireless chips for Edge, 3G and HSUPA and HSDPA.

EDIT: The SWB-B23 chip, responsible for WiFi and Bluetooth is found on the Galaxy S i9000, it is also here on the Captivate.
----------^^(Samsung Wifi Bluetooth)
30th July 2010, 08:07 PM |#5  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Are there any tamper-proof stickers or what-not that could void the warranty that we need to watch out for? The BB Bold has this small sticker on top of the screws so that ATT or BB would know that it's been tampered with? Also, can the S-AMOLED screen itself be detached from the chassis? Reason is, there is dust build-up on the creases around the screen and would like to clean it once in a while. Thanks.
30th July 2010, 08:12 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
No tamper proof stickers, and taking the back cover off will give you access to clean what you want.

The super amoled is bonded to the screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
30th July 2010, 08:40 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
Guess there is no chance of removing the at&t logo then?

30th July 2010, 08:52 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Unfortunately, no. I don't think there's any possibility of actually removing the logos from the glass.
30th July 2010, 08:58 PM |#9  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Sorry, but I might have not made myself clear, what I meant was the screen including the s-amoled itself from the surrounding casing. Not the glass/screen on top of S-Amoled.
30th July 2010, 09:00 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Yea, you can see how it separates from the bezel in the writeup

The Following User Says Thank You to iLoki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iLoki Ad-Free
30th July 2010, 09:04 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
good writeup!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)