Thanks Meter: 7

By Phenombox, Member on 31st July 2010, 12:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th September 2010, 03:12 PM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krulla

Anyone who has removed playnow? Did it cause any problems?

No problem after remove playnow.

8th September 2010, 06:01 AM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
has anyone tired to remove

Calls 1.0
Google Search Enchanced
Google search 1.6
google Talk 1.3
Google talk Service
IM 1.6
Search 1.0
Browser

Thanks
9th September 2010, 02:14 AM |#113  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've managed to get most of the way with this. I've 'root'ed the phone and delete the unwated programs, but in my haste I also deleted 'gtalkservice.apk' which, as RobDB said, seems to screw up the Marketplace app.

So, I go to the folder with ADB in, start with 'adb shell' then try to push the file back, using 'adb push /system/app gtalkservice.apk'. All I get back is "adb: permission denied".

Is there something I could be missing here? The phone is in USB Debugging mode and connected via 'charge', so I assume I'm getting the command wrong somehow.
14th September 2010, 12:07 AM |#114  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
@DaveW W
/system is normally mounted as read-only filesystem.
Remount with "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /system" before editing.
After reboot or "mount -o r,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /system" it will be read-only again.

The following APKs I uninstalled without issues. At least I didn't recognize any. Running without that APKs for a few days or maybe a week.
  • games:
    edge.apk, peggle.apk, rollercoaster.apk
  • social network crap:
    Facebook.apk, VZNet.apk
  • timescape:
    Timescape.apk, TimescapePluginManager.apk, TimeScapeProvider.apk, SnsContactImageCacheProvider.apk, uWlopProvider.apk
  • text to speech:
    PicoTts.apk, TtsService.apk
  • google services:
    Gmail.apk, GmailProvider.apk, Talk.apk, Maps.apk, Street.apk, GoogleSearch.apk, EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
  • also google stuff?:
    GlobalSearch.apk, SearchWidget.apk
  • maybe self explaining:
    EManual.apk, user-support.apk, PcCompanion.apk, Wisepilot.apk, roadsync.apk, playnowclient.apk, TrackId.apk, geotag.apk, VoiceDialer.apk, YouTube.apk, DigitalClockWidget.apk
  • digital rights management (still have /system/bin/DxDrmServerIpc running):
    DrmProvider.apk
  • replaced with K-9:
    Email.apk
  • runs after first boot after changing SIM:
    ReadyToRun.apk
  • SIM tool kit:
    Stk.apk

Someone in this thread recommended uninstalling APKs instead of simply removing them. I second that.
To do so move the APKs from /system/app to /data/app. After reboot you'll be able to uninstall them like with any third party app (Settings->Applications->...).

Some questions I have:
  • How to get rid of DRM? Simply removing /system/bin/DxDrmServerIpc and related folders under /data and /system?
  • Is there some information out there about the other pre-installed APKs? Like what they're for?
    (74 APKs still left )
  • Are some of the following apps known for high energy consumption? I was loosing 31% of battery capacity per 7 hours last night; with 3G and mobile network connection enabled, but with phone in standby. That's not enormous, but had been better some time.
    org.connectbot.apk, com.google.zxing.client.android.apk, com.theonion.onn.apk, jqsoft.apps.mysettings.apk, 1org.freecoder.android.cmplayer.v61.apk, jp.co.telemarks.ledlightx10.apk, lysesoft.andftp.apk, lysesoft.andexplorer.apk, com.ichi2.anki.apk, com.fsck.k9.apk, com.wetter.androidclient.apk, com.helixproject.launcher.apk, com.bonfiremedia.android_wikimobile.apk, com.noshufou.android.su.apk, it.medieval.blueftp.apk, com.xelacorp.android.batsnaps.apk, jackpal.androidterm.apk, jp.co.telemarks.taskcontrol.apk, vcard.io.apk, org.kman.WifiManager.apk
  • Or is there a way to find out, why "Phone idle" is the highest energy consumer or rather which function/module/app is causing it to be?

Thanks,
micha.

P.S.:
I attach my simple APK-moving script. Neat after SE-repair or for handling several APKs at once. Modify it, get it to /sdcard and use it like "sh /sdcard/expose-apps". And don't bother trying to move non-existing APKs, i.e. you can add to your initial list, if you prefer to uninstall the apps in several passes. After reboot that apps are "uninstall-able". When uninstalling, deleting cache and files at first might make a difference. I haven't kept an eye on it. (Calls /system/bin/busybox = requirement)
Attached Files
File Type: zip expose-apps.zip - [Click for QR Code] (456 Bytes, 185 views)
15th September 2010, 06:47 PM |#115  

More
Hello. I deleted some applications from sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro and now i have one problem: when i reboot appears the message:

Spiacenti.

Interruzione imprevista del
processo com.google.process.
gapps. Riprova

How can i resolve?
I apologize for my bad english.
Thanks.
18th September 2010, 03:04 PM |#116  

More
Thank you for that TuT. Here a list of applications I uninstalled safely:

edge.apk
user-support.apk
rollercoaster.apk
EManual.apk
peggle.apk
roadsync.apk
18th September 2010, 03:47 PM |#117  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I wouldn't go removing any of the google apps because "market" will stop working. From memory I also remember reading somewhere that the facebook app has dependencies which stuff the phone if removed.

I've removed a lot of stuff by deleting files through "root explorer (apk)". For example support for languages I don't speak. Even if you uninstall apps through titanium there are still traces on the phones system. This is where you'll need to open root explorer and begin deleting files mannually in the system and data/ directories.
22nd September 2010, 02:04 AM |#118  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Talking What i did!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithilion

The following APKs I uninstalled without issues. At least I didn't recognize any. Running without that APKs for a few days or maybe a week.

• games:
    edge.apk, peggle.apk, rollercoaster.apk
  • social network crap:
    Facebook.apk, VZNet.apk
  • timescape:
    Timescape.apk, TimescapePluginManager.apk, TimeScapeProvider.apk, SnsContactImageCacheProvider.apk, uWlopProvider.apk
  • text to speech:
    PicoTts.apk, TtsService.apk
  • google services:
    Gmail.apk, GmailProvider.apk, Talk.apk, Maps.apk, Street.apk, GoogleSearch.apk, EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
  • also google stuff?:
    GlobalSearch.apk, SearchWidget.apk
  • maybe self explaining:
    EManual.apk, user-support.apk, PcCompanion.apk, Wisepilot.apk, roadsync.apk, playnowclient.apk, TrackId.apk, geotag.apk, VoiceDialer.apk, YouTube.apk, DigitalClockWidget.apk
  • digital rights management (still have /system/bin/DxDrmServerIpc running):
    DrmProvider.apk
  • replaced with K-9:
    Email.apk
  • runs after first boot after changing SIM:
    ReadyToRun.apk
  • SIM tool kit:
    Stk.apk

Someone in this thread recommended uninstalling APKs instead of simply removing them. I second that.
To do so move the APKs from /system/app to /data/app. After reboot you'll be able to uninstall them like with any third party app (Settings->Applications->...).

Thanks,
micha.

P.S.:
I attach my simple APK-moving script. Neat after SE-repair or for handling several APKs at once. Modify it, get it to /sdcard and use it like "sh /sdcard/expose-apps". And don't bother trying to move non-existing APKs, i.e. you can add to your initial list, if you prefer to uninstall the apps in several passes. After reboot that apps are "uninstall-able". When uninstalling, deleting cache and files at first might make a difference. I haven't kept an eye on it. (Calls /system/bin/busybox = requirement)

@ithilion, your script was great for a batch move from system/app to data/app.

First of all, thanks Phenombox for this guide, was extremely helpful to get rid of all SE's and Vodafones crapware. Running like a dream.

Second, i also agree with ithilion and dudelazy for the suggestion of uninstalling crapware apps rather than just deleting them.

For anyone who would like it, this is the way i did everything to remove the crapware, but i am not to sure if this rids all the residual data from those apps though.

Step 1. Get root!! (exploid method or universal androot - your choice).

Step 2. Take off any active widgets (just the ones you are going to remove e.g. Digital

Step 3. Go to settings\applications\manage applications and make a list of all of the crapware apps you want to remove. While you are going through and making this list, enter each of the apps on your list and clear data and cache. Now with this list, edit ithilion's "expose-apps" script to customize what apps you want to uninstall.

Step 4. Running ithilion's script to batch move from system/app to data/app.

Enter shell
Code:
adb shell
Getting root permissions.
Code:
su
Mounting the system 'block' to a read/write capable directory.
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
Run ithilion's script (I will try and upload my 'expose-apps' script for everyone out there and you can just edit mine to you liking if needed).
Code:
sh /sdcard/expose-apps
Step 5. Reboot device (not recommended to use a reboot widget, shutdown and then start up again. Depending on the number of apps or a certain app or too, start-up may take slightly longer than usual.

Step 6. Return to settings\applications\manage applications and use your list to now uninstall those apps.

Finished!!

Have fun with your "new" device.

I take no credit for any of this information I've posted, all credit goes to ithilion for his script, to dudelazy for the idea of uninstalling crapware apps, to Phenombox for this thread guide and to anyone else i may have taken information from.

Regard,
Jeremy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremyward420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jeremyward420 Ad-Free
24th September 2010, 02:08 AM |#119  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
is there a simple way
hi all
is there a simple way of uninstalling apps which u dont need.
like going into a certain folder and deleting the app.
or do you have to connect to pc.
i have a few games which i want to uninstall.
25th September 2010, 01:41 AM |#120  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I removed the Sync app and google sync still seems to work

Has anyone removed the bootslideshow from /system/bin
It uses a lot of CPU while booting the fone

I also removed the coresponding directory in /data/data/ for the application im removing
25th September 2010, 02:58 AM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenombox

Removing
: Timescape
> TimescapePluginManager.apk
> Timescape.apk
> TimeScapeProvider.apk

Should fix the bootup error.

Hey, i installed all of them but still i get this boot message com.sonyericsson.timescape.providers task closes unexpectedly

anyone knows how to solve it?

cheers, peace
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pre-installed, removing, root, safe list, stock applications

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)