FORUMS

[APP] Tasker: Share your setup

3,883 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,100

By crachel, Retired Senior Moderator on 31st July 2010, 01:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Read about what Tasker is here or at the Lifehacker article. Download on Android Market or direct purchase from dev.

I'm pretty sure the possibilities are endless with this app, so please share what you've done with it here. Here's one of mine (more will follow):

Car Mode
This setup will use a toggle widget to:
  • Turn off Wi-Fi
  • Turn on GPS
  • Send an SMS that is triggered off a missed call event that lets the caller know you're in the car and can't talk
  • You can easily launch an app (for instance Navigation), I just haven't shown that here
Step #1 Create a new task called "ToggleTask" that looks like this (this is the task the Widget you create will call):

Step #2 Create a new task called "Driving" that looks like this:

Step #3 Create a new task called "Stop Driving" that looks like this:

Step #4 Create a new task called "CarSMS" that looks like this:

Step #5 Create 3 profiles like the bottom 3 seen here:

Final Step Add the widget to your home screen, select "ToggleTask" and click "Add Widget". Note: initially the Widget label will say ToggleTask. If this bothers use rename ToggleTask to StartDriving everywhere it occurs

Now, when you get in the car, click the widget. When you get to your destination, click it again.

To launch an app, simply edit the "Driving" task to do so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crachel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crachel Ad-Free
31st July 2010, 04:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i was not even aware of this app, it looks AWESOME! I'm very interested in seeing how other people are using this application
The Following User Says Thank You to malicious85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift malicious85 Ad-Free
31st July 2010, 05:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
using this would it be possible to create a shortcut directly to the alarm settings? I still haven't figured out how to do that on froyo since the option dissappeared in bettercut.
31st July 2010, 07:51 AM |#4  
Flag EL Paso, TX
Thanks Meter: 17

More
AMAZING!
Just downloaded.
31st July 2010, 04:44 PM |#5  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 3,100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender2115

using this would it be possible to create a shortcut directly to the alarm settings? I still haven't figured out how to do that on froyo since the option dissappeared in bettercut.

I'm not seeing that, but if I understand your question, you can add the Analog Clock widget to the screen and clicking that will take you into the alarm settings
1st August 2010, 08:18 AM |#6  

More
thanks, but I don't really want a widget, I just want a shortcut.
1st August 2010, 08:39 AM |#7  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Looks like timerrific and locale had a baby that kicked its parents ass.
The Following User Says Thank You to xManMythLegend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xManMythLegend Ad-Free
1st August 2010, 10:12 AM |#8  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
saw something about this earlier on twitter a few days back while i was at work, this thread made me actually try it. just need to play around with it more when its not 5am. only thing i dislike thus far is the app handles media itself instead of passing the "play" and such on to the default music app. need to figure out how to get "play" and "stop" to pass to the music app from the "data" field and i'll be happy
1st August 2010, 01:20 PM |#9  

More
I can't seem to get the SMS functionality to work. Everything works perfectly in the OP's example except send SMS. I'm wondering if there is something in settings that needs tweeked?
1st August 2010, 09:22 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylink

saw something about this earlier on twitter a few days back while i was at work, this thread made me actually try it. just need to play around with it more when its not 5am. only thing i dislike thus far is the app handles media itself instead of passing the "play" and such on to the default music app. need to figure out how to get "play" and "stop" to pass to the music app from the "data" field and i'll be happy

Have you tried using Media->Android media->Toggle Pause?

I imagine you could use Headphone Plugged:App->Music,Toggle Pause to ensure it worked every time. Or you could assign a variable if you wanted it to be more sophisticated. Here's a quick example:

Not Music=Variable Set %MUSIC, 0
Headset Plugged=Load App:Music(If Music = 0)
Headset Plugged=Go Home(If Music = 0)
Headset Plugged=Variable Set %MUSIC, 1
Headset Plugged EXIT=Android Media Pause
Variable Set %MUSIC, 1=Android Media Toggle

Works like a charm on my droid.
2nd August 2010, 08:55 AM |#11  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
ya, so my alarm now says "wake the frack up you lazy bastard" on work days if i sleep past a certain time. 15min before i *have* to be out the door, phone says "isnt it time to leave for work" then turns gps on. when i leave and plug in the heaphone jack music starts (stops when unplugged), turns wifi off when 30M from home, arrive at work stops music, turns phone on silent. gps turns off until i leave work, and then it sends a SMS to my gf i'm on the way home when so far from work. dev will be getting some monies on my payday

now i wont have to play with the phone so much while driving :P
thanks for the toggle pause, didnt even notice all that last night and that did the trick
The Following User Says Thank You to psylink For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psylink Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)