57 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By davejet, Member on 6th August 2010, 08:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here is the latest just in and probably the best way to do it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748021

This thread claims they can roll back the PRI from the 1.3x to 1.4
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748335

Below is the old way to do it and helped to get point in the right direction but do not use

This is huge if its true!!!
IF you did not root yet and did not upgrade to 2.2.
Then using Unrevoked 3 you can root, and then use simple root .2
upgrade to a custom rom for 2.2, keep your PRI 1.4 for the best 3g speeds, and get wifi tether!!!!

The post is at
//forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130864

New info from DeathBySnuggles post #4 below was able to after using unrevoked 3 then used simple root .2 and was able to keep PRI 1.4
This is HUGE
MaliciousOne
6th August 2010, 09:02 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
....... groundbreaking ..

6th August 2010, 09:13 PM |#3  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Can I go back??? I want ROOT !!!!!!!!! Bad OTA 2.2 Froyo, BAD! I want to hit "undo"
7th August 2010, 12:23 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I am personally running Ava's V3rA froyo rom and am running pri 1.40_003. There is a discussion about it in the development forum. I'm not sure if its an anomaly but I orginially rooted with unrevoked 3 then simpleroot. Not sure if it was just a glitch or what. I will know this weekend when I do the same to my wife's phone.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
7th August 2010, 01:44 AM |#5  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 3,087

More
Enjoy the non full root of unrevoked. This is NOT groundbreaking right now. Unrevoked alone does NOT give you full root NAND access to write the system which is why some Roms will NOT work with it.
7th August 2010, 03:04 AM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Lightbulb hUGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBySnuggles

I am personally running Ava's V3rA froyo rom and am running pri 1.40_003. There is a discussion about it in the development forum. I'm not sure if its an anomaly but I orginially rooted with unrevoked 3 then simpleroot. Not sure if it was just a glitch or what. I will know this weekend when I do the same to my wife's phone.

oKAY THIS IS HUGE AND GROUND BREAKING
Please right down exactly everything you did!!!
You have total rooted and still have PRI 1.40
?????
Did you unrevoked3 then do av'a froy rom then run simple root or what exactly and if you replicate on your wifes phone please post your exact steps.
Thanks a Million
7th August 2010, 08:08 AM |#7  
Flag Tempe,AZ
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter

Enjoy the non full root of unrevoked. This is NOT groundbreaking right now. Unrevoked alone does NOT give you full root NAND access to write the system which is why some Roms will NOT work with it.

Sorry to correct your ignorance, but from Unrevoked 3 and later, full nand unlock was added.....That's why in the OP it says
Code:
"Then using Unrevoked 3.1 you can root, upgrade to a custom rom for 2.2, keep your PRI 1.4 for the best 3g speeds, and get wifi tether!!!!"
. Pay attention bud.....
7th August 2010, 11:36 AM |#8  
Flag Southie
Thanks Meter: 119

More
hahahahahahha
7th August 2010, 12:37 PM |#9  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 3,087

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtate

Sorry to correct your ignorance, but from Unrevoked 3 and later, full nand unlock was added.....That's why in the OP it says

Code:
"Then using Unrevoked 3.1 you can root, upgrade to a custom rom for 2.2, keep your PRI 1.4 for the best 3g speeds, and get wifi tether!!!!"
. Pay attention bud.....

If this is infact the case then why do Devs still say Unrevoked is not a full root. you can do unrevoked and still upload some custom roms, but some will cause errors if not fully rooted.
I'd believe if it did in fact give full root then you wouldn't see every dev saying that if you dont have NAND then do one of the many manual unlocks in the dev section.

This is from the kernel thread directly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchy

An important note for UNREVOKED users:
Unrevoked is not a full root, and there is a very good chance that if you're not fully and properly rooted you may run into issues not only with this kernel, but quite possibly several features in other custom roms.

I personally have no confidence in unrevoked, ESPECIALLY after unrevoked 2 screwed up 4g for a lot of people.

I highly advise fully and properly rooting your phone, complete with nand unlock.

For windows users, you can use SimpleRoot to root your phone.

Linux users can use Bash SimpleRoot.

If unrevoked did give full root accesss it would of been much more widely talked about on here and not just 1 person saying they noticed it. The 2nd person that reported keeping the pri, used simple root AFTER unrevoked and even still has an error at times though as its being discussed in another thread now.
7th August 2010, 02:24 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I could NOT flash the fresh rom until after I used simpleroot. Unrevoked 3 was not enough.

The "error" that I still receive is when entering the bootloader there is a message that appears three times saying "no image found". And forgive my naivete but if the zip image is supposed to live on my SD card, it doesn't and never has. I've looked.

Despite the error, I have had no issue at all flashing roms, themes, kernels, boot animations, fonts etc.

Again, my process was root with unrevoked 3. Lived with that for a while. Then did the ENTIRE simpleroot process, step 1 included. Then I started successfully flashing roms. I'm on pri 1.40_003, prl 60669, and the latest .28 radio.

7th August 2010, 04:07 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I used Unrevoked 3 based on step-by-step instructions found at unlockr.com. However, little did I know, even though one of the steps said I would have NAND unlocked if I followed instructions, I didn't have full NAND unlocked. So I went back and used toast's step 2 found in the development forum to unlock NAND. Now I've flashed Fresh 3.1.0.1 along with netarchy's froyoized-3.7.6b kernel and have 4G, free wifi, the works. So far no problems other than draining battery. My PRI version is 1.34_003. Phone is working super stupid fast at 4G speeds.

FYI the only downfall of the netarchy kernel (which I needed to get the wifi to work) is the camera goes back to 3mp, but who cares...that's still huge in my book.

Hope that helps
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)