FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Desire has reception problems after Froyo update

77 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By AdamZA, Member on 10th August 2010, 10:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone else noticed this?

I used to have good reception while at home when I was on 2.1 but after debranding my Vodafone desire and installing Froyo ota, I find that my calls are much more likely to be dropped and it can sometimes take half an hour to receive texts and go some cases I don't even get them until the next day.

Any ideas? Might end up trying to rebrand when Vodafone release Froyo at this rate!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

10th August 2010, 10:56 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 11

More
yeah, i;ve spotted the same, lots of fluctuation aswell.

However, called my handset from another number when on Zero bars(but the locked sign above) and call came through fine.

try it and see
10th August 2010, 11:37 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag London

More
Given this a try now - refreshing to know that I've still got some reception but doesn't help when my calls are dropped and my friends keep breaking up when I'm speaking to them.

Also doesn't help the text problem - missed an urgent and important text over the weekend cos it came 2 hours late!

Plus, its annoying cos I've been preaching Android over everything else and saying how we get major updates etc - don't want people to start associating the problems with the phone now!

Is it possible that its the way the code is written in Froyo and it could be changed in a rooted ROM?

11th August 2010, 01:03 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I rooted and installed the latest OTA + Radio (Rooted version's of course) and i experience this issue.

It feel's that with the 2.1 radio's it wouldnt update the signal as fast as the 2.2 radio's...Aka i cup my hand on 2.2 and it instantly updates that i've lost signal, with 2.1 it would take a second or 2

I just find it strange that my phone will say 0 bar's but yet i can still recieve call/s'msg's. I'll downgrade to 2.1 until a better radio comes out
11th August 2010, 08:39 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
I can confirm too.Signal is worse.If i switch to GSM only i have problems in data connecting.
11th August 2010, 08:52 AM |#6  
Flag South East
Thanks Meter: 23

More
There is another thread on this, its suggested that HTC are aware of the issue and will release another update. For me the 3g performance is now a joke. I have emailed HTC myself but have not got a reply.

11th August 2010, 12:56 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
i'm glad that someone has contacted htc about this because i can no longer use 3g in my own home which is annoying to say the least ...
11th August 2010, 06:19 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag London

More
Agreed - 3G is a joke on my phone at the moment too.

Is anyone having trouble with texts and dropped calls though? Or is that just me?

Let's hope HTC are quick to sort out a fix.

Edit: maybe my area is just a bit worse off for reception?

11th August 2010, 06:30 PM |#9  

More
No issues here I'm on leedroid Rom though.

11th August 2010, 06:45 PM |#10  
Flag South East
Thanks Meter: 23

More
OK, had a reply from HTC and surprise surprise they admit to changing the signal display algorithm! Aka Apples big antenna software fix!

Now whilst I agree it shouldn't cause more problems with regard to calls and data but I am having more dropped calls and earlier on today the phone got locked into emergency service only mode for 20 mins in an area I know has excellent coverage. So something else must be going on....

11th August 2010, 11:01 PM |#11  

More
Hi, I have had these same issues with signal. Since being on froyo 2.2 i have gone from 3-4 full bars to 1-2 bars then losing 3g. some times my network connection stays on G and to get my 3g back i turn phone off then on and i get 3g back.
I have also noticed theat the phone gets really hot wen on the browser and using the camer.
Im also getting large amounts of battery drain that i never got on 2.1.
My phone at times tends to go laggy which i never had on 2.1.
I think HTC have rushed this out, it could of done with being perfected first before release.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)