FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant

129 posts
Thanks Meter: 20
 
By blackplatypus, Senior Member on 15th August 2010, 02:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th August 2010, 12:17 PM |#31  
Marshall07's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag L'aquila
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
I'm glad to see people resolving Google lacks!

I'd like to patch my wpa_supplicant (I have an HTC Wildfire w/ Android 2.1 and wpa_supplicant v0.5.11)

- Do you think this patched wpa_supplicant will work in my Android 2.1 even if it is compiled for froyo?
- Is it possible to use the v6 over the v5.11 or I have to use the v5 version?
- I guess I must be root to apply the patch, right?


Thanks very much!

Marshall
 
 
18th August 2010, 04:44 PM |#32  
xoltrix2000's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I can confirm that the orignal post file has successfully worked on my Nexus One with 2.2 Kang-o-Rama v10 beta rom.

Thank you sir for making this possible.
18th August 2010, 06:00 PM |#33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Unhappy Obtaining IP address
I can see the adhoc network of my laptop on my phone but when i try to connect it stucks in the phase of obtaining IP address. I use pppoe connection on my laptop for adsl connection and static ip on my nexus one. any solutions?
18th August 2010, 09:23 PM |#34  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall07

I'm glad to see people resolving Google lacks!

I'd like to patch my wpa_supplicant (I have an HTC Wildfire w/ Android 2.1 and wpa_supplicant v0.5.11)

- Do you think this patched wpa_supplicant will work in my Android 2.1 even if it is compiled for froyo?
- Is it possible to use the v6 over the v5.11 or I have to use the v5 version?
- I guess I must be root to apply the patch, right?


Thanks very much!

Marshall

you need a rooted device to flash the signed update.zip or push the modified wpa_supplicant. Always do a nandroid backup! use the 5.11.

The file was compiled for android 2.2 so it shouldn't work with eclair, depends how much the system libs have changed (bionic libc, libwpa_client.so..), so make a backup try it out and revert in case of fail, or ask a eclair rom developer to build a patched wpa_supplicant for you, unfortunately I have no 2.1 toolchain ready at the moment.
18th August 2010, 10:16 PM |#35  
Senior Member
Flag Dallas,Texas
Thanks Meter: 218
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteora

I can see the adhoc network of my laptop on my phone but when i try to connect it stucks in the phase of obtaining IP address. I use pppoe connection on my laptop for adsl connection and static ip on my nexus one. any solutions?

Having same issue... any help please...
18th August 2010, 10:16 PM |#36  
Marshall07's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag L'aquila
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplatypus

you need a rooted device to flash the signed update.zip or push the modified wpa_supplicant. Always do a nandroid backup! use the 5.11.

The file was compiled for android 2.2 so it shouldn't work with eclair, depends how much the system libs have changed (bionic libc, libwpa_client.so..), so make a backup try it out and revert in case of fail, or ask a eclair rom developer to build a patched wpa_supplicant for you, unfortunately I have no 2.1 toolchain ready at the moment.

Thanks for the reply blackplatypus,
At the moment Wildfire devices can be only "Soft Rooted" (the rooting must be applied manually after each reboot) because they have NAND protection which hasn't been hacked yet. In few words it's possible to execute programs as root but it's not possible to write into some system directories (e.g. /system IIRC).
So probablly I will not be able to replace the wpa_supplicant, even the correct version compiled for Eclair.

I'm just guessing...


Marshall
18th August 2010, 10:26 PM |#37  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteora

I can see the adhoc network of my laptop on my phone but when i try to connect it stucks in the phase of obtaining IP address. I use pppoe connection on my laptop for adsl connection and static ip on my nexus one. any solutions?

try to connect with another laptop or smartphone, so that you know if the problem is in the device or in the connection of your laptop. i had the same problem but it was in the wifi connection on my pc
19th August 2010, 09:26 AM |#38  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks guys!
it works on CM6 RC2 on my HTC Magic
19th August 2010, 09:27 AM |#39  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks guys!
it works on CM6 RC2 on my HTC Magic
19th August 2010, 03:29 PM |#40  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Working on HTC Magic, Superfroyo 2.8.2 (based on Cyanogen RC2).

Not getting IP from WEP adhoc network, but ok with open one. Tested with ubuntu 10.04 and zydas chip.
19th August 2010, 10:07 PM |#41  
Senior Member
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 181
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin2x

@blackplatypus - will this work with unrooted HTC Desire froyo?

Do I need to do anything special with the file wpa_adhoc-signed.zip other than renaming it to update.zip and flashing in recovery?

I'm getting verification failed message

Please help - Android Noob

You need a rooted phone and a custom recovery to modify /system and/or flash user-made updates.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes