[Q]Is this Screen Tear on my Evo (nova 003)?

Search This thread

dan0412

Jul 15, 2010
New York, NY
Over the past 3 days, I have observed some colored/broken lines on my Evo (pics attached). These have grown progressively in length. I dont recall dropping the phone. Any thoughts on the cause(s)? I know I'll have to unroot (and maybe reset PRI back to 1.40) before heading to the Sprint Store for a warranty replacement. Any thoughts from anyone who's had this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 189
  • imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 192

nenn

Apr 28, 2010
New York City
i thought screen tear was a software thing. try stock 2.2 -rooted of course. if the problem persists then id take it into sprint.

runningwarrior08

Apr 27, 2010
That's the Lcd starting to go out usually. It usually happens from very hard pressure on the trouble spot or dropping of the phone.

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
Screen tearing is an artifact in the display, kind of like pixelation - not a physical tear in the screen material. You, my friend, have an LCD that's going bad. LCDs are controlled by a matrix of horizontal and vertical pixels, and when the connectors get damaged, that's what you see.

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
Looks like someone smashed it with their finger too me. Almost looks like a finger print.

dan0412

Jul 15, 2010
New York, NY
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have never dropped my phone. On the other hand, that 'imprint' is actually underneath the anti-glare strip and is visible ONLY when the phone is on.

I just did a nand restore of rooted stock 2.2, the 'damaged' pixels still visible. I guess I'll try getting a replacement for a phone that's a month old.

By the way do they offer Evos with the 2.2 Froyo updates now?

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have never dropped my phone. On the other hand, that 'imprint' is actually underneath the anti-glare strip and is visible ONLY when the phone is on.

I just did a nand restore of rooted stock 2.2, the 'damaged' pixels still visible. I guess I'll try getting a replacement for a phone that's a month old.

By the way do they offer Evos with the 2.2 Froyo updates now?

Yes, new Evos are shipping with 2.2, but there are still 2.1 versions lurking about on some shelves.