FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Epic 4G - No Need For Lag Fix

2,708 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,811

By kennethpenn, Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer on 21st August 2010, 11:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I got my review unit of the Epic 4G in the mail and I wanted to update everyone on the performance of the device in comparison to the Captivate.

The Epic is indeed optimized for speed unlike the Captivate. It scores a 960 stock on Quadrant and obliterates the Captivate in every day usage.

I would go as far as to say that Samsung has eliminated the "stalling/lagging" problem with their latest software, which gives me great hope that future updates for the Captivate will sport the same fixes.

The Epic 4G's performance is akin to the Captivate w/ EXT2 Lag Fix or the NAND fix pre-installed... which is blazing.

Oh, and GPS is working.

21st August 2010, 12:53 PM |#2  
Flag Quad Cities, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 371

More
Cools, by GPS working you mean it doesn't lose locks while driving or you mean your out standing on your deck and it works......

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
21st August 2010, 02:54 PM |#3  
Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Very nice. I've actually noticed the JH3 ROM is a good bit quicker as awell, which bodes well for the fact that it CAN be fixed via software upgrade..
21st August 2010, 08:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpenn

I got my review unit of the Epic 4G in the mail and I wanted to update everyone on the performance of the device in comparison to the Captivate.

The Epic is indeed optimized for speed unlike the Captivate. It scores a 960 stock on Quadrant and obliterates the Captivate in every day usage.

I would go as far as to say that Samsung has eliminated the "stalling/lagging" problem with their latest software, which gives me great hope that future updates for the Captivate will sport the same fixes.

The Epic 4G's performance is akin to the Captivate w/ EXT2 Lag Fix or the NAND fix pre-installed... which is blazing.

Oh, and GPS is working.

I understood that the Epic 4G was a Galaxy S Pro and had different hardware?
21st August 2010, 09:06 PM |#5  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Layton, Ut
Thanks Meter: 298

Donate to Me
More
Wrong the epic has the rfs file system same as the rest of the galaxy s phones. It will need lag fix and it will be slower then the rest since the lag fix will be the sd card lag fix. The captivate has the slowest rom. If you just change the rom to I9000 it will run the same as the epic. You prove this your self by posting the quadrant score. If the file system was fixed it would get 1600 to 2000 stock. The droid x has slower cpu & gpu and gets 1200 to 1400.
21st August 2010, 09:37 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The RFS subsystem is not such a poor performer on OneNAND, which is why the symlink-to-/dbdata hack works. It seems to be poor only on SD, but it's possible that the I-9000 ships with a newer module that helps with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
21st August 2010, 09:37 PM |#7  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Washington, D.C.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep211

Wrong the epic has the rfs file system same as the rest of the galaxy s phones. It will need lag fix and it will be slower then the rest since the lag fix will be the sd card lag fix. The captivate has the slowest rom. If you just change the rom to I9000 it will run the same as the epic. You prove this your self by posting the quadrant score. If the file system was fixed it would get 1600 to 2000 stock. The droid x has slower cpu & gpu and gets 1200 to 1400.

You clearly don't understand what I posted. The Epic is, in my opinion, faster than the Droid X. Quadrant scores are not to be trusted. The Droid X's I/O score does not represent a boost in real performance. The Epic does not need the lag fix... I would know because I have it. And I have a Droid X comparison. Working on a Droid 2.

I have tried i9000 ROMs on my Captivate. They work better, but still need the lag fix. Epic is fast right out of the box for me.

Having said all that, it is possible that using a lag fix will still boost speed. But I haven't seen one delay or stall so far, so I'm doubtful there will be any noticeable boost.

21st August 2010, 10:22 PM |#8  
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 780

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhelpful

The RFS subsystem is not such a poor performer on OneNAND, which is why the symlink-to-/dbdata hack works. It seems to be poor only on SD, but it's possible that the I-9000 ships with a newer module that helps with that.

rfs file system is called riser file system. it has been around the Unix world for decades. its an OK filesystem. no journaling log so should be fast on nand.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
21st August 2010, 10:56 PM |#9  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Layton, Ut
Thanks Meter: 298

Donate to Me
More
The truth is its the same rfs partition as all the galaxy s phones and you will need the lag fix. Sure it runs great. My Captivate did 2. Then I tried the lag fix and seen how much faster it could be. Try the sd card lag fix and watch how much faster market, browser & camera opens. Then watch your benchmarks double. Then come back and tell me theres no lag due to file system.
21st August 2010, 11:04 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Try running the tool "Benchmark" from the market. What's the filesystem score results?

RFS is not reiserfs. RFS is robust file system, a proprietary filesystem by Samsung based on fat32.
21st August 2010, 11:08 PM |#11  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Washington, D.C.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep211

The truth is its the same rfs partition as all the galaxy s phones and you will need the lag fix. Sure it runs great. My Captivate did 2. Then I tried the lag fix and seen how much faster it could be. Try the sd card lag fix and watch how much faster market, browser & camera opens. Then watch your benchmarks double. Then come back and tell me theres no lag due to file system.

Quadrant is BS. If you don't believe me and every experienced dev on this board, believe Cyanogen. The I/O test needs to be fixed on Quadrant.

I have the Captivate - stock speed is not half as good as the Epic's stock speed. Epic does not need the lag fix.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)